Should the first book I write be with Amazon?

prisonchaplain

I've wanted to write a book for many many years. However, how to start? What to write? And...who's going to publish a novice? These days it seems that just about anyone can get their start at Amazon, with the Kindle publishing system. My thing is that there are probably a ginermous number of Kindle books published by newbies that don't get more than a dozen glances, and not one actual purchase. Some seem to be breaking in by offering the wares for free--just to build a reader base.

Does going this route as a trial run make sense, or is it still better to plow away on the traditional route, and keep writing until something a publisher will publisher is created? Thoughts? Experiences?

I've been lazily thinking about trying to publish a book, wanting to go the traditional route. Haven't really bothered doing anything for months. However, I hear that even if your Amazon book doesn't become a "success", it's still a good way to get out there. I see it as a no greater risk than the traditional route.

What is the purpose of writing your book? If it is personal achievement/milestone I'd say whether to go the electronic route depends on if that will satisfy that or not. Is it the writing or the being published that will satisfy you? If it is to make money, I can't really comment on the fiscal wisdom of one route over another. If it is simply to share a message you feel is buried within you I can see the e-publish route possible reaching more people, particularly if you offer it cheap or free.

Edited by Dravin

Write a book because the story inside you wants or even demands to be told. Write a book because you have ideas or thoughts or wisdom or viewpoints that you think are important to express. Write a book because you feel the passion to write a book. If you write a book for any or all of these reasons, your book stands a much better chance of succeeding. You will still have to peddle it around to the various publishers, of course. You will face lots of rejection. If someone picks up your book, then with luck they'll assign you an editor and you'll start rewriting and polishing your gem. Good luck.

There are a lot of ebook publishers like smashbooks. One thing about ebook self publishing is you are not limited to just one outlet. Many writers publish on kindle, nook, and all the other smaller forms.

One thing I have noticed is that some writers dont get a professional editor and those are quickly slammed on the reviews then no one reads them.

Publishing your ebook is a lot different than the traditional and it is much more versatile. The really great thing is you do not have to find an agent, which can be very difficult for a first time writer. Once you get published on ebooks you have a proven history and can likely find an agent easier if you want to go that route.

Guest LiterateParakeet

PC, I'm so glad you asked because this is a topic I am passionate about...get a cup of coffee and get comfortable...LOL...

I agree with the answers you have recievved so far.

First is you just want to publish for family and friends, lulu.com is a great resource, or amazon's Kindle. If you want to publish for a larger audience, then whether to self-publish or use the traditional route is a highly debated topic among writers. Which brings me to my first point...you can read more of that debate, and tons of writing advice...at Absolute Write Water Cooler - Powered by vBulletin That is serioulsy the "go-to" place for writers. There are newbies along with published authors, and even a few agents that post there. They are a wealth of information. And they have a forums for Chrisitanity, and non-fiction specifically. Those forums are a little slower than say science fiction or YA, but don't let that worry you. If you have a question go ahead and post there and you are almost guaranteed some helpful people will come along.

Next question: fiction or non-fiction. My first thought was non-fiction, but there is some great Christian fiction out there...Christy and Julie (? same author) are among my favorites.

You might have guessed by now that I am a writer. (not published yet...) I am hoping for the traditionally published route so I will talk about that.

For fiction, you write the book first, and when it is polished to perfection (as close as you can get it), then you send query letters to literary agents that represent your style of book. If you land an agent, they then try to find a publisher for you. Most publishers are in some way connected to the Big Six, and won't accept query letters accept from agents, so that is a good way to go.

For non-fiction, you first write a book PROPOSAL. There are some great books out there about this, I'll give you a couple of my favorite titles at the end. The biggest surprise for me about the book proposal was that it answered many of my questions about "how to" write a non-fiction book. I had looked at other writing books, but they didn't help...then I started working on a proposal and BINGO.

The book proposal books give you some ideas about how to refine your ideas and choose a topic. It's awesome. Seriously, if you are going to write non-fiction, I would start there. I'm working on a non-fiction book and this has really helped shape and improve my book (which is just past embryo stage, LOL!)

Once you have written your book proposal, which is, in a nut shell, a "this is what my book is about, who would want to read it, why I am qualified to write it, and what I will do to help promote it." Along with 2 sample chapters. The length varies but the average is about 40-60 pages. It seems like a lot of work, but as I said it is really helping me AND you have to consider that by sending a book proposal to an agent or publisher, you are asking them to invest about $30,000-50,000 in you. When you look at it that way the proposal doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Once you have your proposal written you can choose to send it to an agent or author. I believe there are more publishers of non-fiction (particularly in Christian work) that will accept proposals directly from authors. If they like your proposal, they will send you a contract and an advance ($$$), and then you write the book.

Now back to your questions specifically...who will publish a newbie? Anyone if the topic is what they need and the writing is good enough. It can be intimidating (believe me I know!) but new authors get published all the time. Self-publishing a book will pretty much kill an chance of getting a traditional publisher to pick it up...it happens in fiction rarely (but it does happen...recently with...dare I say it? 50 Shades of Grey) Unless your self-published book is a block-buster traditional publishers will not notice it at all...meaning they won't pick it up, and it neither will harm or hurt your chances for a future book other than that you have gotten a little writing practice in.

Phew, are you still with me?

So here is my plan...I'm working on a non-fiction book about overcoming the spiritual divide caused by childhood abuse. One in three women and one in six men are sexually abused before they are 18, so I believe there is a reasonable market for this. I know from many sources that I'm not the only one that has struggled with this spiritual divide.

As you know, some Christians don't think Mormons are Christians, or think of us as a cult etc, so while I would like my book to be "non-denominational" that is not likely to fly if I quote a few LDS leaders and scriptures (along side the Bible and leaders of other churches). So, I will first market to an LDS audience, which closes my field of possible publishers considerably. Because there are so few LDS publishers, compared to other publishers, I can't afford for my book proposal not to be PERFECT, so I am planning to pay an agent to look at it and give me feedback. That may or may not be something you want to do, but I'm puttting it out there as a possibility.

I should also mention that while I am writing a book proposal first, I will likely write the whole book, or most of it before I send it to a publisher. The reason is because I still struggle with bouts of "depression-like-exsistence" and when I am in those places I can't write. I don't know if I could stick to a deadline. Also this book is my passion, I MUST write it, if only for myself.

I will try to sell it directly to an LDS publisher, if that doesn't work, then I will see if I can take out the LDS references without destroying it too much and then try a Christian publisher....if that doesn't work....then, only then...I will self-publish with lulu.com AND amazon kindle, and createspace.

Whew, now the book proposal books I have found most helpful so far:

Non-fiction Book Proposals that Anyone Can Write by Elizabeth Lyon

Bulletproof Book Proposals by Pamela Browdowsky

Book Proposals that $ell by Terry Whalin

Incredibly helpful, Literate. In some ways LDS.net is my practice place. Part of my wants to play with fiction, because that's what I enjoy reading. Another part of me believes that my aptitude and training lend itself to the nonfiction side. I'll definitely visit the site you referenced.

By the way, I agree with you that your topic is valid, relevant and well worth you pursuing. It may interest you to know that Jim Bakker (Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker scandal, circa late 1980s) was molested as a teen. He disclosed this in the book he wrote after he got out of prison.

As for trying to reach a broad audience with your book, I just wonder if you should not start out with the broad-base approach, writing for a general Christian audience. You can always use the LDS-specific notes for firesides and other public talks. Also, the topic is so powerful, I'd encourage you to infuse your heart and experiences into the book as much as possible, even if it is mean to be nonfiction.

Thanks for the response!

Another thing you might do is find a favorite author of the type of book you are planning to write and friend them on facebook.

I have several I am friends with and they are very informative. I dont go pushing them but just listen to what they say and what their plans are. I think many writers are happy, even eager to talk about publishing woes and ideas they are trying.

I have learned a lot from J.D. Nixon who is a popular writer of ebook fiction. She and other new writers, all seem to publish in every venue possible at the same time. Most, if not all, do not use an agent.

One of the tricks they use is to publish a free ebook to get readers, often a short story or novella. After that they continue with more at a low price then higher as they establish a fan base. I really do not think you need an agent or a publisher. If you check ebooks by most popular and compare prices you will find that the big flash expensive authors are right in there with the lower priced, previously unknown authors. The difference seems to be the flash and the price not the popularity on the whole.

It really is an interesting subject all on its own. My opinion is that bound books by big publishers are going the way of the dinosaurs. Look how many people on this forum want to write their own books. Ebooks makes that possible at little to no cost.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Incredibly helpful, Literate. In some ways LDS.net is my practice place. Part of my wants to play with fiction, because that's what I enjoy reading. Another part of me believes that my aptitude and training lend itself to the nonfiction side. I'll definitely visit the site you referenced.

By the way, I agree with you that your topic is valid, relevant and well worth you pursuing. It may interest you to know that Jim Bakker (Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker scandal, circa late 1980s) was molested as a teen. He disclosed this in the book he wrote after he got out of prison.

As for trying to reach a broad audience with your book, I just wonder if you should not start out with the broad-base approach, writing for a general Christian audience. You can always use the LDS-specific notes for firesides and other public talks. Also, the topic is so powerful, I'd encourage you to infuse your heart and experiences into the book as much as possible, even if it is mean to be nonfiction.

Thanks for the response!

Thank you! I really appreciate the validation that my topic is a valid, timely one. You advice to write for a larger Christian audience really resonates with me since most of the stories I want to share are from the New Testament. Right now, I can feel the Savior's love through that book, more than any other book of scripture. Jesus was so gentle with the women.

Also I have struggled wondering how much of myself to put into it, so thank you for addressing that as well. I can feel that you are right. The strength of my writing is in sharing my story not as in a memoir, but sharing why a particular story about Jesus touches me so much.

I hope you will keep us posted on your book. I am LiterateParakeet over at Absolute Write also.

I'm glad my posthelped you and thanks again for helping me!

ETA--I think whether you chose fiction or non-fiction (really with time you could pursue both), it could be powerful. When I mentioned Christian fiction earlier how could I have forgotten C.S. Lewis??? I love Chronicles of Narnia of course, but we can't forget Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce and my favorite Till We Have Faces (which I am reading again right now!)

Edited by LiterateParakeet

PC, you mentioned that some of the ebooks by new authors just seem to be passed over. I have noticed this as well.

There are several things you can do that helps. I reviewed how I chose books because I was wondering how to avoid this very thing.

A good cover helps but will not save a book. Reviews are priceless. In the blurb, a good first line helps enormously. Do not get one person to review your book and give it five stars. You need at least three. Friends who will write a review after READING the book are good.

Never ever ever use this as a first line in the blurb. This is my first book. Please let me know what you think. Or I was trying to focus on blah blah blah. No one cares. A good positive description in the first line will get you readers. No reviews, No description will result in NO one reading.

PC, you will need to have someone convert your book to the different file formats used by various devices. Also, Smashwords is a great site that will you can upload to and will then get onto various sites like Amazon to sell it. Mark Coker, the owner, has a list of people who format e-books. Just one on the list is my wife. Find one that can fit your needs.

I am another of the hopeful writers working on books to publish. Everyone has given you excellent information about getting published. I hope to add to that and give you another perspective at the same time.

At this site you will find a program that will allow you to convert a file to the correct format for Nook, Kindle, and others: calibre - E-book management

I have completed the first draft of a novel and have a few short stories that have gone through a few drafts. I am working toward self publishing fantasy and/or science fiction. SQL Server Central on the web has published technical articles I wrote on line and included a few of those in books they published.

I try to learn from other authors by going to their blogs and/or communicating with them at KBoards - Index.

The reason I have decided to self publish is because from what I have learned there can be great books that publishers don't take because they have met a quota or they just published a book similar to the one you wrote. It doesn't mean yours wouldn't work but that they are not interested right now. With the way things are going on amazon I figure I have a better chance there. Plus with self publishing you control everything about your book including its fate.

From what I have learned to self publish and get your book noticed enough that many people will buy it requires that you pay for a good cover, one that will catch the notice of people browsing for books, you have a good blurb, and you hire an editor to get the book polished before publishing. But, all this is useless if your book is not good. The trick is to write a book like the ones you have read that you can't put down and keep reading until 1 or 2 AM because you must know what happens next. If you achieve these things then your book will not be one of the one that gets passed by on amazon.

Getting help from Beta readers is extremely useful. I have learned of a number of problems in my novel from Beta readers.

I've come across a number of good sayings among writers and interesting articles as I research how to become published and get many people to want to buy and read my books. One of the ones that has stood out which to me which I believe is relevant no matter how you plan to publish is to ponder these questions.

How many books have you bought because you already knew the author?

How many books have you bought because a friend recommended a book to you?

As an unknown author you and I have no chance of having our books purchased because people already know us. So no fan's to help us out yet. However if people that know us read our books and enjoy them, they will tell their friends. This kind of word of mouth is priceless. Having Beta readers can get this process started. I just recently had one of my Beta readers offer to buy other stories I produce and I realized that I have at least one fan now. I know I have a few other fan's as well but most of them are family. I plan to give all my books to my Beta readers for free since that is the best I can do right now to compensate them for their time and effort.

Write your book and whether you go the traditional or self publishing route, make it the best you can and you will find readers and many will want to buy subsequent books you write.

ZR, Calibre will format, yes. will there be mistakes. yes. If you want to insure it will look professional and flow right, hire a professional to do it. Some will manually verify it is right after it is done. Some hand craft to work and it shows. Yes, it cost more. The result is better and it falls into the category of "you get what you pay for".

ZR, Calibre will format, yes. will there be mistakes. yes. If you want to insure it will look professional and flow right, hire a professional to do it. Some will manually verify it is right after it is done. Some hand craft to work and it shows. Yes, it cost more. The result is better and it falls into the category of "you get what you pay for".

Correct, this can be among the things you could pay for someone to do for you. In my case, I believe that this is a skill I can learn for myself and so plan to do so. I've already been converting to mobi for the Kindle and putting it on my Kindle and reading/sharing my book from my Kindle. So I plan to review my own book on the Kindle and have others review the format before I publish it. If the final editor I hire for my book also happens to offer putting it in the correct format for not too much more then I may just pay the price for the conversion to mobi.

Guest LiterateParakeet

PC, If you decide to write fiction, the best "how to" book I have read is:

Self-editing for Fiction Writers by Browne and King

The title sounds like something you should read after you write the book, but trust me, if you read it and learn from it before you write you will be glad you did...and you will save yourself a ton of editing.

An example of how it helped me--they have a whole chapter (or two? I can't remember now) about dialogue. I looked at what I had written for my fiction project and realized I had made a lot of the mistakes they mentioned. By following their counsel, I revised all of my dialogue.

A short time later, I was able to have an excerpt of my writing reviewed by a Literary Agent at a Writer's Conference. He told me that one of the first things Agents to when looking at a fiction sample is read the dialogue...because that is a clue to whether or not the writing is any good. and.....drum rolll....he though my dialogue was excellent. I have Brown and King to thank for that! I learned tons of other things from them as well, but that conversation with the agent definately stands out in my mind.

I don't understand wanting to 'write a book' without knowing what you want to write about. I have a prospective PhD student who talks to me all the time about wanting a PhD, but he can't point to a research interest, doesn't have a burning passion for anything in particular in the field, he just wants the degree. To me, if you aren't dying for the doctorate, you shouldn't get it. Same here, if you don't have something definite you need to get out of your system, then you should think about something that is a passion for you and then write.

btw - I buy a lot of the Kindle 2.99 books. Usually I go for the ones that have a few reviews, so somebody else is reading these little books as well. If you want to get your feet wet with something small, I don't see why you shouldn't try amazon.

You can certainly try the traditional publication route, but if you don't get a good response from a publisher within a certain amount of time, or after x number of rejects, then consider self-publishing.

I don't understand wanting to 'write a book' without knowing what you want to write about.

I understand this completely. I was the editor of the school paper in high school and college. I've always had this "burning desire" to write but there are so many things I can write about. Writing editorials gave me an outlet for that passion in a small scale without investing so much of me in writing an entire book.

The passion is rooted more in the love of writing. In being able to mash words together and be able to bring an audience into your world/brain/heart with that power. I can write an entire book out of one tiny experience.... Like when I was 12 and saw the movie E.T. and one quote out of that movie stuck to my head ("alligators in the sewers"), and wrote a short story titled The creature in the toilet bowl that night. The story just free-flowed out of my brain, I could have made it a book. Of course, I was only 12, with English as my 3rd Language, so reading back into that story now (that we published in the school paper) makes me cringe. Lol.