Ex-communication.

scotsgirl

Hi, I hope you do not mind my posting this, 15 years ago I was ex-communicated, its a long story, short version is my mother threw me out as she did not like my attending church, a very good male friend offered me a place to stay, my mother then contacted the church and told them lots of untrue things which she later admitted , but did not give them the address of the house I was staying in.

Apparently the Bishop etc attempted to contact me via my mothers house and she never told me or sent letters on until the letter stating I was ex-communicated:(.

I was so angry that I stupidly refused to contact the Bishop and tried to forget about it all. Fast forward and I am married to the very good friend with 3 amazing children, but I have never managed to forget the church, I still have my scriptures and even though I do not outwardly show my faith its still there.

My wonderful husband doesnt really have faith but has told me many times he would never stop me from finding out about returning, but I often wonder, do I really want too? My younger days in church were not the nicest, I was not born into the church, but attended quite often with a friend from when I was a young child and was baptised when I was 18, had various callings etc, but never felt like it was home:(

Anyway, about 6 years ago some Elders knocked on the door and I asked them in, we had a long chat and they said it was "possible" to come back but it was a long proccess. I still do not know if I could actually face walking in the door to church after the way I was treated by members, who, most likely are not still there and to have interviews with the new Bishop. I know I am being very silly but I am a very shy person and I find it very hard sometimes to walk into a situation when I have no idea what will happen.

Is it possible to come back from something like this? Could I attend without having to have the meetings etc to start with or would I not be allowed?

Thank you for reading:)

You can walk in the door and set your butt down in a pew for services just like any and everyone else.

You will not be kicked out.

It is very possible that you will be approached by people who see a new face and want to find out more about you. You can respond with as much or as little of your story as you would like. While they will very likely try to encourage you to stay and do. You can decline and say no at what ever level you are comfortable with

Is it possible to come back from something like this? Could I attend without having to have the meetings etc to start with or would I not be allowed?

First, I am sorry your mother's disingenuous habits lead to your excommunication; unfortunately, it appears ( I am assuming your story is truthful since I have not heard your previous bishops statements ) you have been wronged. This surely, must have brought true heart ache to your soul.

The proper action would have been to immediately speak with your bishop the moment you received the letter of being excommunicated; however, past is past and the only step now is to progress forward.

Of course you are welcome back! Of course you are able to once again be baptized and received into full fellowship with the Church and the saints of God. If other people have their alternative opinions, let them, and remember we come to Church to worship our father in Heaven -- yes, I know other members are able to make it difficult -- but still come.

When you come to Church, after sacrament set an appointment up with your bishop. Explain to him the details you have explained and explain to him your desire to return. He should welcome you with open arms.

Come back into the fold and maybe through your personal desires and prayers, who knows you might be able to convince your husband to come, receive the missionary discussions and be sealed in the temple.

I know I am being very silly but I am a very shy person and I find it very hard sometimes to walk into a situation when I have no idea what will happen.

I don't think you're being silly at all, scotsgirl. If what you say is true, then the church had only your mother's lies to go on, and what should have happened did not happen.

It seems to me that you have a part to own in things, and many parts that have impacted you unjustly. If you can find the strength to go talk to your bishop about what you own and what you don't, I believe you will be blessed.

The whole purpose of church discipline, after all, is to help a member get out from under the crushing weight of sin. While you own some of that, it sounds like you've also been burdened by your mother's sins.

God bless you.

I always believe that there are two sides to every story. However, regardless of who is and who isn't right in each situation, it's always possible to come back to Church. Nothing you've done (or haven't done) can prevent you from coming back to the Gospel. The Savior is always there with his arms outstretched waiting for us to come to him.

Like others have said, make an appointment with the Bishop as soon as you can. If you're worried about going to Church and making an appearance first, you can look around and find the number of the Executive Secretary (the person who plans the Bishop's appointments and schedule) and make an appointment with him. The Bishop can then council you before you ever have to go to Sacrament meeting.

Just an idea. Just remember that the Bishop is there to help you and will do all in his power to do so.

Hi, I hope you do not mind my posting this, 15 years ago I was ex-communicated, its a long story, short version is my mother threw me out as she did not like my attending church, a very good male friend offered me a place to stay, my mother then contacted the church and told them lots of untrue things which she later admitted , but did not give them the address of the house I was staying in.

Apparently the Bishop etc attempted to contact me via my mothers house and she never told me or sent letters on until the letter stating I was ex-communicated:(.

I was so angry that I stupidly refused to contact the Bishop and tried to forget about it all. Fast forward and I am married to the very good friend with 3 amazing children, but I have never managed to forget the church, I still have my scriptures and even though I do not outwardly show my faith its still there.

My wonderful husband doesnt really have faith but has told me many times he would never stop me from finding out about returning, but I often wonder, do I really want too? My younger days in church were not the nicest, I was not born into the church, but attended quite often with a friend from when I was a young child and was baptised when I was 18, had various callings etc, but never felt like it was home:(

Anyway, about 6 years ago some Elders knocked on the door and I asked them in, we had a long chat and they said it was "possible" to come back but it was a long proccess. I still do not know if I could actually face walking in the door to church after the way I was treated by members, who, most likely are not still there and to have interviews with the new Bishop. I know I am being very silly but I am a very shy person and I find it very hard sometimes to walk into a situation when I have no idea what will happen.

Hi Scotsgirl-

Yes, you're being a bit silly; but aren't we all from time to time?

You've been offered some very sound advice.

Go back to Church.

We don't bite.

Not only is it possible for you to come back, but you will be welcomed with open arms.

If you explain to your Bishop what you have explained to us, you will almost certainly be welcomed back into full fellowship with a minimum of fuss and bother.

You'll probably have to talk to the Stake President as well, but that's not a big deal.

From what you have told us, you were a victim of fraud and deceipt and made a few bad choices.

The entire point of the Gospel is the recovery of the prodigal child and the wayward lamb.

The Church exists not to condemn nor to judge, but to redeem.

Isn't that redemption- and the love, friendship, and support which attend it- worth stretching your comfort zone a bit?

Not only

Once again it was said in General Conference over the last weekend, that anyone who has strayed, has sinned or whatever else is welcome back to church at any time. We want you to come back.