Is Obesity a Choice?

Traveler

Saturday's Warrior was fine. People need to calm down and see it for what it was: A roadshow musical that tried to deliver a light message in a fun way. Those who condemn it for not being a General Conference address miss the point.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturdays Warrior sure messed up a lot of people.

I believe that you missed the point of Saturday's Warrior. There was never a mention that Pam knew that she would be in a wheelchair during her mortal life. In the pre-existence scene she thought she would be a dancer. So therefore I'm not sure how how you got the impression in the show that one chose their life.

I've read that obesity feels like a sort of protection for people who have been sexually abused, but I don't think it's a conscious choice for most people.

Then there are the people who say to embrace your curves, fat is sexy, etc. I think that's silly. I don't want to be condemned for being overweight, but then I don't want to be coddled either and told that there's nothing wrong with it. Whatever the cause is, it's not good for your body.

Also, I think expectations are too high in our society as to what normal weight is and I think some people's frames can handle more weight than others. I remember watching a BYU dance team practicing for hours, which they did every day. One girl was rather overweight, but she could move! I was so impressed with her and I bet it drove her nuts that she could dance so many hours a day and still be heavy.

Years ago a woman called me bawling and I was worried she and her husband were having a fight. It turned out it was because she had been gorging on food and was freaked out by her lack of self-control. Her husband didn't understand why she was so upset, so she came over to talk to me. She said she felt like it was a sin and an escape. She didn't just get a value meal, but multiple meals from Jack in the Box, ate it all, then felt sick and disgusted with herself.

Her issues weren't just about food either. She was a compulsive shopper and would quickly become bored with furniture, either deciding to rearrange, or just give away perfectly good furniture and buy some more. She couldn't stand anything tedious either, including household chores, certain aspects of child rearing, etc. When I learned her dad was an alcoholic and a gambling addict, things started to make sense. She really should have been in a support group or therapy a long time ago. She never learned proper coping skills and her mom had done the typical thing and covered his rear for years.

So, although she hated being fat, she kept turning to food when she was feeling any negative emotions. It was interesting to learn later that most addicts actually have multiple addictions.

I'm overweight due to a series of super fun medical issues! When I'm stressed, I get nauseous, so I don't turn to food. And because of my chronic health issues, sometimes I skip meals a lot, which my doctor thinks makes me retain weight because my body thinks it's starving. Good times!

Perhaps it is possible that believing that one can or cannot is the choice (or even the only real choice) regardless of if one can or cannot.

The Traveler

What? :confused:

What? :confused:

I am exploring that process of choice and what constitutes what it is that changes when a person has made a choice. It seems to me that when a person believes or has faith that they can or cannot is the choice any individual has and can make - regardless of if a person can or cannot. Thus the belief one can or cannot is the choice?

This is corollary to the notion that one does not fail by falling but rather choosing not to get up or choosing to no longer try to up when they fall.

But thanks for asking the question because as I think on this - do we mark success by the choice to try - or when we accomplish the task?

The Traveler

So, how can you know who has tried and who hasn't? How often they've fallen and gotten back up? How many things, how many years they have tried? The things that make it difficult to nearly impossible to keep getting up and trying?

How much trying is "enough"? Whose place is it to judge?

So, how can you know who has tried and who hasn't? How often they've fallen and gotten back up? How many things, how many years they have tried? The things that make it difficult to nearly impossible to keep getting up and trying?

How much trying is "enough"? Whose place is it to judge?

I would say that how much trying is "enough" is a choice - we could discuss if that is a good choice but that would be off the thread and will likely make enemies. Likewise someone making a judgment is a choice - which would seem to be to be a rather unproductive choice in my mind.

There is an interesting thought that come from the words of the song "Popular" in the musical "Wicked". Someone may feel inclined to help someone less fortunate than them. :o And as the song points out - should we not help those less fortunate than us? Though there is humor in the song and in the musical - few being helped in such a manner will see the humor or accept the help.

The Traveler

PS. If we are to error - ought we error on the side of encouragement to improve or on the side to comfort that enough has been tried. I personally have found happy benefit and sad folly with both???

Edited by Traveler
added PS.