Tough Question

justme75

My guess would be no. I say that because unless things have changed, a man who has been excommunicated can't serve as a Bishop. He can be a counselor but not a Bishop. At least that's how it was a few years ago.

I would say an excommunicated man *could* wind up as an apostle in the sense that a dinosaur fossil *could* be in my potted plant soil on my condo's balcony.

But I'm just spitting into the wind to see which way it blows.

I have a question that may seem strange, and I don't know which forum to ask. If you've ever been excommunicated, can you serve as an apostle in the church? Just one of those random questions that pop into my head.

I don't see why not. If the person has repented they get all the blessing restored.

I guess the question is would the person be worthy to service as an apostle, and that question would be yes. Calling somebody, as it has been pointed out, is Up the Lord. Which the persons standings would be good.

I recall reading about when Oliver Cowdery was excommunicated (at least I believe it was about him). Details aren't important about the excommunication, however once Oliver repented and apologized to Joseph, the Prophet was quick to forgive and welcome him back into the church.

However, Joseph himself noted that Oliver wasn't the same man he was before his rebellion. His spirituality had been lessened somehow. He never returned to the general leadership position he had either. He did, however, live as a strong and faithful member for the rest of his life.

When God gives us a responsibility, and we turn around and rebel against that responsibility, it's not likely that we will be trusted with the same, or even more afterwards. I say not likely, because we have the extreme examples of Paul and Alma the Younger to examine as exceptions. To be sure, if it did occur, it seems that it would be a very rare situation.

In the end, it really is up to the Lord whom he chooses to lead in his Church. I can't say it won't ever happen, and due to the privacy that is granted past transgressions, I don't suppose we'd ever know one way or the other for certain.

The only concern I've had in the past is to add newly called apostles to my testimony of authorized representatives of Christ who lead this Church. Once I get that confirmation of the spirit, their past is immaterial. Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.

Richard Roswell Lyman (November 23, 1870 – December 31, 1963) was an apostle in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1918 to 1943. He was excommunicated in 1943 for unlawful cohabitation, a result of a polygamous relationship. In 1954 Lyman was rebaptized. His full priesthood blessings were restored posthumously in 1970.[1] Lyman is the most recent apostle of the LDS Church to have been excommunicated.

Richard R. Lyman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would say one could restore the office of Apostle, but likely not be called to be in the quorum of the 12.

Richard Roswell Lyman (November 23, 1870 – December 31, 1963) was an apostle in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1918 to 1943. He was excommunicated in 1943 for unlawful cohabitation, a result of a polygamous relationship. In 1954 Lyman was rebaptized. His full priesthood blessings were restored posthumously in 1970.[1] Lyman is the most recent apostle of the LDS Church to have been excommunicated.

Richard R. Lyman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would say one could restore the office of Apostle, but likely not be called to be in the quorum of the 12.

He performed my parent's marriage. :huh:

I have a question that may seem strange, and I don't know which forum to ask. If you've ever been excommunicated, can you serve as an apostle in the church? Just one of those random questions that pop into my head.

Thats up to God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost.