Tom Clancy has died

Backroads

I really enjoyed his books.

It's been about 20 years so from what I remember he really admired LDS people.

In one book, Jack Ryan (played by Harrison Ford in all the movies) was trying to make a decision and as he was driving saw the Washington DC temple and as he reflected on the values of LDS people made the decision to fight the corruption in the CIA. In another book a downed LDS fighter pilot in VietNam used his LDS faith to help him endure the conditions and torture in the Hanoi Hilton, as I recall that chapter ended with closing lines from the hymn Come Come Ye Saints, and if we die before our journey is thru, all is well...all is well. And in one more I remember there was a helicopter gunner who was killed in action and the main character promised him before he died that all his kids would get an education, because the gunner was LDS so he had allot of kids and valued education :D.

I don't really read these types of books anymore (more into Fantasy, Sci-Fi), but I think he was a great author and I'll miss him.

Edited by Windseeker

This is terrible- we lost a fantastic author. I always enjoyed the screenplays for his books too- although I'm not happy about this, there will now be less marital friction in the future about what movie to see on date night.

Weird. I always thought the later movies were not true to the books, especially the last one with Ben Affleck. That one was awful.

I really enjoyed his books.

It's been about 20 years so from what I remember he really admired LDS people.

In one book, Jack Ryan (played by Harrison Ford in all the movies) was trying to make a decision and as he was driving saw the Washington DC temple and as he reflected on the values of LDS people made the decision to fight the corruption in the CIA. In another book a downed LDS fighter pilot in VietNam used his LDS faith to help him endure the conditions and torture in the Hanoi Hilton, as I recall that chapter ended with closing lines from the hymn Come Come Ye Saints, and if we die before our journey is thru, all is well...all is well. And in one more I remember there was a helicopter gunner who was killed in action and the main character promised him before he died that all his kids would get an education, because the gunner was LDS so he had allot of kids and valued education :D.

I don't really read these types of books anymore (more into Fantasy, Sci-Fi), but I think he was a great author and I'll miss him.

it's an interesting religion, it wormed its way into some of my stories (one normal and one a psudo fantasy)

I probably read some of his books or own them or both, I read a ton

Weird. I always thought the later movies were not true to the books, especially the last one with Ben Affleck. That one was awful.

Be that as it may, I did watch Sum of All Fears last night- Netflix had it online and I needed to watch SOMETHING out of respect....... I liked it.

I was working at the Pax River Navy Base for the Anti Submarine Warfare Department when Tom Clancy's first book, "Hunt for Red October" was published. I was quite shocked that the book contained a lot of classified material. This navy base (Pax River) was the center of research into Russian Submarine methods and technologies and was referenced directly in the book.

There was a Nuclear Soviet sub lost in the Pacific under circumstances similar to the Red October. I do not know how his first book ever got published but I have considered the possibility that much of the information in the book was leaked deliberately.

The book was such a success that Tom published many others - I cannot attest to the accuracy of any other of his books but I could not figure out why none of his succeeding books touched on or referenced other events in the Anti Submarine Warfare Department which would have been even more interesting. One of the most humorous and embarrassing to our department was an encounter with a whale mimicking the sonar signature of a sub.

The Traveler

In another book a downed LDS fighter pilot in VietNam used his LDS faith to help him endure the conditions and torture in the Hanoi Hilton, as I recall that chapter ended with closing lines from the hymn Come Come Ye Saints, and if we die before our journey is thru, all is well...all is well.

Sounds like the biography Seven Years in Hanoi. I read that when I was younger and was touched by it. Very sad, but inspiring, too.