another stupid Utah question

dahlia

Are most stores closed on Sunday? What about during GC? I would think it would be hard to get enough people to work on Sunday, but I could be wrong. Are stores open until 9 on Monday nights?

If I moved to Utah, what would people say would be the thing I would notice first (besides the scenery)?

Most stores are still open on Sunday. City Creek Mall is an exception. You might see a few others that are closed. Hobby Lobby is closed. But that's not a Utah thing. All of their stores nationally are closed on Sundays. Most car dealerships are closed on Sunday.

It's still overall pretty much business as usual on Sunday.

If I moved to Utah, what would people say would be the thing I would notice first (besides the scenery)?

Billboards up and down I-15 for plastic surgery and breast augmentation.

I don't say that simply because I'm cynical about Utah, but because the last time I was there (three years ago this weekend), that was the first thing I noticed, besides the scenery.

Billboards up and down I-15 for plastic surgery and breast augmentation.

I don't say that simply because I'm cynical about Utah, but because the last time I was there (three years ago this weekend), that was the first thing I noticed, besides the scenery.

Interesting. I drive from Salt Lake City to Orem every day round trip and I only know of one billboard such as you mention. And it's in Utah Co.

Having taken several out of staters back to Utah over the years, they pointed out. 1) the number of churches and their proximity to each other. And that your ward might be farther than the nearest church. 2) the number of Arby's. 3) The crazy drivers (and this is from LA people) 4) The church related billboards (Missionary Mail). 5) The church stuff at Wal-Mart like Moroni statues and Books of Mormon. 6) the many natural (and apparently unnatural) blonds. 7) that hotel maids and fast food workers weren't Hispanic. 8) that very young couples had 3 or 4 kids already. I really never noticed the plastic surgery billboards, but again I come from Southern California.

I hear from friends at church that Costco and Walmart have big cans/pails of food storage items. You don't have to order your stuff over the internet.

I haven't seen BOM at our Walmarts, but I live near very large Mennonite and Amish communities. The Walmart carries Amish romances for the young women. A couple of years ago a student wrote a paper on Christian romance books. I had no idea there was such a thing; and the Amish books appear to be quite popular, even with non-Amish.

The first time I went to Utah after converting I learned that:

The streets are not paved with gold.

Stores are mostly open on Sundays

There are still bad parts of town.

You can buy coffee and lottery tickets

People there are mostly like people everywhere.

The first time I went to Utah after converting I learned that:

The streets are not paved with gold.

Stores are mostly open on Sundays

There are still bad parts of town.

You can buy coffee and lottery tickets

People there are mostly like people everywhere.

Not sure where you can buy lottery tickets. It is illegal to sell them in Utah. People drive over the state line into Idaho to purchase them.

Yes, they don't have any LDS stuff in California Wal-Marts. But we are lucky enough to have one Deseret Book. Oh yeah, having Deseret Book in every mall in Utah is a nice convenience. And distribution centers.

I wish the mall I live closest to had one. I have to go into the next town to find a Deseret Book.

Interesting. I drive from Salt Lake City to Orem every day round trip and I only know of one billboard such as you mention. And it's in Utah Co.

If they don't have them in her neck of the woods, or she was expecting not to see them, it doesn't take many to create a confirmation bias and make it feel like there are a lot of them (as I doubt she was taking note and writing down the content of each billboard as she drove through). I remember being a little surprised by them when I first moved to Utah, I think it's just An American Tale streets paved with gold thinking. I think from some of the Utahn braggarts (not calling all Utahns braggarts) who go on about 'living in Zion' you expect the state to be something it simply isn't.

I hear from friends at church that Costco and Walmart have big cans/pails of food storage items. You don't have to order your stuff over the internet.

Some of those internet retailers have brick and mortar stores in Utah (Honeyville Farms comes to mind), so that helps with local purchases. I will say as someone who lived in Utah that Walmart's selection of food storage wasn't overly impressive. Another thing I remember is the prevalence of case lot sales, they certainly aren't a Utah only thing but they seemed a lot more prevalent in Utah where stores like Smiths (not so much Walmart) would hold them semi-regularly (as in a few times a year). It was always a great way to stock up on things like canned tomatoes, vegetable/chicken/beef broth, and canned beans. Here in Indianapolis we'll occasionally have case lot sale prices but they aren't selling them by the case (with still sealed cases laid out in stacks in the store) but individually.

1) the number of churches and their proximity to each other.

I'd also include temples. It's not quite the Stake Center every 15 seconds experience a trip down I-15 is in Northern Utah but there are a lot more of them than other places.

Edited by Dravin

Well that would definitely be a change from when I was last there (which was when I met you). We noticed so many of that type of billboard that I was both sad and quite uncomfortable.

So, do LDS who go to the store on Sunday have to drive out of their ward so they won't be recognized? : )

Not sure if that's enough. I heard ward boundaries in Salt Lake is only a block long...

So, do LDS who go to the store on Sunday have to drive out of their ward so they won't be recognized? : )

No... although I'm sure some might think they have to. My ward as a whole (well the majority) don't judge about such things. The closed store is the small market 6 miles from my house. There's a Maverick Country Store across the road. If we leave the valley for anything we have to drive to Ogden.

Ward boundaries in Utah are quite close. So... maybe you would drive out of your ward boundaries to go to the store just because often the Stake Boundaries are the size of a Ward outside Utah.

I haven't seen BOM at our Walmarts, but I live near very large Mennonite and Amish communities. The Walmart carries Amish romances for the young women. A couple of years ago a student wrote a paper on Christian romance books. I had no idea there was such a thing; and the Amish books appear to be quite popular, even with non-Amish.

yeesh... is there a whole chapter on the wedding or do they just skim that over? :lol:

I heard you have to go out of state to get "real beer" as Utah has an alcohol content limit law. Just heard it from a friend of mine. Never been to Utah.

Beer can't be more than 3.2 alcohol content in Utah.

Most stores are still open on Sunday. City Creek Mall is an exception. You might see a few others that are closed. Hobby Lobby is closed. But that's not a Utah thing. All of their stores nationally are closed on Sundays. Most car dealerships are closed on Sunday.

It's still overall pretty much business as usual on Sunday.

City Creek needs to make an exception on General Conference weekend. I'm from a city with no LDS bookstores. So when I was at Salt Lake this weekend, I dropped serious cash in Deseret on Friday AND Saturday. I was ready to spend even more there on Sunday. They're missing out on a great opportunity to make more money and provide members visiting for Conference the blessings of an LDS book store.

Same with the Church History Museum store!

I was ready to buy A LOT! Mostly for my non-LDS family and friends lol

There are two or three more on the drive from SLC up to Ogden. I think it's a Davis County thing. And I do agree with Wingers that it's kind of depressing.

On the other hand--I think there are only two or three beer billboards up on the entire I-15-Wasatch Front corridor at present. So . . . pick your poison?

People told me there were bad parts of Provo/Orem. I believed them.

Then I served a mission in San Bernardino, CA.

I don't believe those people anymore. :P

I took my mom to a Mexican restaurant, which is on the bad side of the tracks in Salt Lake. My Utah mom was a bit leery of the neighborhood, but honestly, it's just like home to an Angelino.