Middle School Football Coach Chooses Hooters for End of Season Party

Leah

Update:

Middle school team celebrates at Hooters

So, the coach still held the party at Hooters because he made a promise to the kids but made it a private party. Most of the kids attended with their parents. Hooters paid for the tab complete with limo. And Hooters donated $1,000 plus 20% of that branch's profits for that day to the Team's Booster Club.

An official end of season party is going to be held next week at a school picked venue.

I didn't know this but this coach is a volunteer coach and doesn't get a salary but a small stipend which he spends right back into the team. He actually works as a garbage man for a living. So, he didn't "lose his job" when he got fired from the middle school.

I still think this has been blown out of proportion.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, there may be. But, if one doesn't find anything wrong with Hooters, then why go to all that trouble to find one you don't know is going to be a good place?

So, the fact that several players and/or their families did find something wrong with a venue for a team event, isn't sufficient reason?

Are you really going to put Hooters and strip clubs in the same category?

How are they different, Anatess? Scantily-clad women who are expected to put up with obnoxiously sexist banter from customers as a condition of employment, as a major draw to the facility? Check. Unremarkable food? Check.

But yes, the same thing can be said for NFL games with their NFL Cheerleaders.

True; the difference is largely one of degrees.

But it's an awful lot of degrees. There'd still be an NFL without cheerleaders. There would be no Hooters without Hooters Girls.

(Thanks for the updated news story, by the way.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

The local Hooters played this well. They made the critics look like kill-joys, and themselves the beneficent lovers of children.

Color me paranoid, but who doesn't know that people of faith are going to have a problem with this? Yet, the coach chose this venue. Could there have been some intentional drama-seeking here, or is it really just us narrow-minded religious folk that are the problem?

I don't find Hooters waitresses to be scantily clad. The images I posted were certainly not "scantily clad", they were nothing more than sleeveless tops and shorts. Some might argue that our YW are taught not to dress this way but I argue that in southern Utah, many of us YW showed up to church functions wearing just that and we weren't called out as being "scantily clad". It wasn't even looked down upon. It was a no issue, period. Now, if it were super sheer, super tight, super plunging necklines and shorts that are basically the hemline of underwear - yeh that's different - but that's not what was worn, just as it is not what is worn at Hooters.

Too much hype on this one, in MY opinion.

I think most of the board membership here would disagree with you, Bini. You don't have to be naked or in a bikini to be scantily clad. Tight, short, and revealing is scantily clad, which is exactly what you posted and their uniforms are even worse than that.

If our YW showed up in what you posted, they'd get spoken to, at very least. We did have a problem for awhile which has been mostly remedied. Just because they haven't been taught better doesn't mean it's okay.

I don't find Hooters waitresses to be scantily clad. The images I posted were certainly not "scantily clad", they were nothing more than sleeveless tops and shorts.

. . .

Some might argue that our YW are taught not to dress this way but I argue that in southern Utah, many of us YW showed up to church functions wearing just that and we weren't called out as being "scantily clad".

Bini, I probably shouldn't post it here, but the article Anatess linked to today had a photo of the boys going into the Hooters restaurant as a gaggle of uniformed waitresses looked on.

Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Hooters paid for the tab complete with limo. And Hooters donated $1,000 plus 20% of that branch's profits for that day to the Team's Booster Club.

I'm at work now so can't do the search, but I wonder what charitable endeavors playboy or hustler have undertaken? I bet they're genuine and fruitful. After all, the Light of Christ is indeed present in everyone. We all like doing good for our neighbors...

Bini, I probably shouldn't post it here, but the article Anatess linked to today had a photo of the boys going into the Hooters restaurant as a gaggle of uniformed waitresses looked on.

Draw your own conclusions.

Somehow I've got to make this work for me with the whole "you're not modest unless you're wearing pantyhose" thing. (They are wearing pantyhose.)

So, the fact that several players and/or their families did find something wrong with a venue for a team event, isn't sufficient reason?

Why is it that a very logical guy like you sounds like he hasn't been paying attention to what I say? You're disappointing me - I put you on a higher standard being a lawyer and all!

Remember... the coach chose and reserved the venue, notified the STUDENTS of it, and left the students to ask their parents. He did not talk to the parents before making the decision.

It was never in question that the coach had bad taste. My assumption is that the coach already got committed to Hooters before he realized it was controversial. This is supported by his decision to make the Hooters party a private event and then schedule an official end-of-season party somewhere else.

How are they different, Anatess? Scantily-clad women who are expected to put up with obnoxiously sexist banter from customers as a condition of employment, as a major draw to the facility? Check. Unremarkable food? Check.

Have you been to Hooters? I've been to several venues - one in Ohio, the other in Texas, the other in California, and several in Florida. All before I realized Hooters refer to mammaries. The rollerbladers at Sonic wear the same level of scantily-clad Hooters girls in Bible Belt Florida. And I have not experienced sexist banter in any of the times I've been there. I used to frequent dance clubs. There are more sexist banter there than Hooters or Sneakers or any of the Sports Bars. Unremarkable food - that's silly. If it was not for the food and the venue and the sports on TV, why would I even want to go there? I have my own set of mammaries!

True; the difference is largely one of degrees.

Yes... very big difference in degrees between College Cheerleaders and NFL Cheerleaders. Yet, I wouldn't compare NFL Cheerleaders to Playboy Bunnies.

But it's an awful lot of degrees. There'd still be an NFL without cheerleaders. There would be no Hooters without Hooters Girls.

That is your opinion and is not acceptable as statistical fact... both for NFL and Hooters.

(Thanks for the updated news story, by the way.)

You're welcome.

Edited by anatess

Why is it that a very logical guy like you sounds like he hasn't been paying attention to what I say? You're disappointing me - I put you on a higher standard being a lawyer and all!

I'm flattered! (I think. . . ;) )

Remember... the coach chose and reserved the venue, notified the STUDENTS of it, and left the students to ask their parents. He did not talk to the parents before making the decision.

Surely you understand the dynamic at play here: "Hey, guys, we're having a team event; but little Jimmy won't be joining the team because his parents won't let him."

Have you been to Hooters?

Just driven past.

I've been to several venues - one in Ohio, the other in Texas, the other in California, and several in Florida. All before I realized Hooters refer to mammaries.

Would you think me a condescending churl to suggest that that may be because you are a female; and also quite possibly that due to your national/cultural background maybe you don't connect exposure of the human body to sexuality in quite the same way that many native-born Americans do?

The rollerbladers at Sonic wear the same level of scantily-clad Hooters girls in Bible Belt Florida.

Maybe this is one of those situations where we're talking past each other because of different locations where we live. The rollerbladers at Sonic where I live don't dress remotely like the ladies in the Portland Hooters as portrayed in the article you linked to.

And I have not experienced sexist banter in any of the times I've been there.

Mais, oui. You haven't signed the waiver.

There are more sexist banter there than Hooters or Sneakers or any of the Sports Bars. Unremarkable food - that's silly. If it was not for the food and the venue and the sports on TV, why would I even want to go there? I have my own set of mammaries!

Oh, I am so not going down this line of discussion! :P

Yes... very big difference in degrees between College Cheerleaders and NFL Cheerleaders. Yet, I wouldn't compare NFL Cheerleaders to Playboy Bunnies.

I would. Their purpose is to add a sexual component to the event.

That is your opinion and is not acceptable as statistical fact... both for NFL and Hooters.

We don't know for sure re Hooters, because it's never been tried. But the Wikipedia gods claim that there are currently six NFL teams who don't use cheerleaders and that there were no cheerleaders at Super Bowl LXV (2011).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Hooters, without the costuming and established atmosphere has been tried. It might succeed, but would join the crowded field of Applebees, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, etc. etc. My take on NFL cheerleaders is that they are like a subsidiary--a successful sideline, or off-shoot, of "the main event." Ironically, I've seen males watching an NFL game, and get far more excited by the action on-field than off. So...gotta side with JAG on this one.

This is what Sonic employees wear in Utah:

Posted Image

It's all I've ever seen worn at any Sonic I've been to in Utah and surrounding states. During the summer they can wear black shorts but they have always been knee length.