Ruling Your Own Planets? goddess with God?

I understand that these questions probably come up a lot for Mormons, but that's because there is a lot of information on the Internet and rumors in general that conflict with one another. I have seen Mormon apologetics sites claim that Mormons do believe that they will eventually rule their own planets and that God (the one single all-powerful God) in some way mated (for the lack of a better term) with a goddess to create life in the spirit world.

On the other hand, I have seen sources which seem to suggest neither is true.

For instance, this site: Mormonism 101: FAQ

clearly states that the LDS Church does not officially teach that Mormons get their own planets and nothing is mentioned about a goddess...So which is it?

Do Mormons believe that when they die, they will someday rule their own planets?

Do Mormons believe that God has a goddess partner with whom God populated the world?

I am not judging Mormons either way on the answer, I just would like to know what it is Mormons actually believe and is doctrine and what is not.

The doctrine is that if we are true and faithful then we will inherit all the Father has... And be Co-heirs with Christ. That is powerful stuff, thats scriptural stuff.

Then some people start asking themselves "What is the Father currently doing that we may one day be a part of?" That does become a bit speculative by its very nature... Some people like to speculate and think they got all then details nailed down (and maybe they do), others are less concerned and figure then need to focus on getting there first, and if they do then they can figure it out once they get there.

The doctrine is that if we are true and faithful then we will inherit all the Father has... And be Co-heirs with Christ. That is powerful stuff, thats scriptural stuff.

Then some people start asking themselves "What is the Father currently doing that we may one day be a part of?" That does become a bit speculative by its very nature... Some people like to speculate and think they got all then details nailed down (and maybe they do), others are less concerned and figure then need to focus on getting there first, and if they do then they can figure it out once they get there.

Ok, so it sounds like you are saying that the actual teaching is quite broad and others have extrapolated, rightly or wrongly, to come to more specific conclusions which could be right or could be wrong. Is that right?

What about the issue about God, the Heavenly Father, having some kind of relationship with a goddess? Is that doctrinal or just a rumor?

Do Mormons believe that when they die, they will someday rule their own planets?

I believe I am literally what the Bible says I am - a child of God, joint heir with Christ, who inherited all the Father hath. I am of the same species as my Father in Heaven. Yes, this sort of thinking sets us apart from most of mainstream Christianity. But I don't think in terms of "rule my own planet" - that's a phrase our critics came up with. (Critics also came up with "eternal sex with endless wives who are eternally pregnant". I've never heard a mormon think in such terms.)

Do Mormons believe that God has a goddess partner with whom God populated the world?

The only thing I believe about a Mother in Heaven, is that it makes sense to believe I have one. I'm not a created being, I'm a child of God. Children have parents.

What about the issue about God, the Heavenly Father, having some kind of relationship with a goddess? Is that doctrinal or just a rumor?

A logical extrapolation of our Doctrine and generally accepted. But not officially accepted (canonized) as doctrine

Thanks for all of the insights. If you believe that there is a Mother in Heaven, why is there no mention of Her anywhere in scripture?

In the Hebrew language, does the Shekinah have a gender? The Early Church Fathers were patristic, and weren't much on gender equality.

Yes, but they were definitively monotheistic. From what I can tell, there is no mention of more than one deity from the Early Christian Fathers.

Now _that's_ a very sticky wicket! Did you know Mormons are not Trinitarians? I myself as a mystic am a Panentheist, but most Mormons are Henotheistic.

Good Afternoon jinc1019. Welcome to the forums. I hope you're having a fine day! :)

Thanks for all of the insights. If you believe that there is a Mother in Heaven, why is there no mention of Her anywhere in scripture?

Me believing in Heavenly Mother is not contingent upon her being referenced in written scripture. I've received my witness from the source of scripture, which is the Spirit. However, there is mention of Her and has been. Many references to Her have been removed, distorted, forgotten, dismissed, ignored, explained away, etc.

But, most important to realize in all of this is that the Spirit is the source of scripture. The Spirit's utterances are scripture.

-Finrock

Now _that's_ a very sticky wicket! Did you know Mormons are not Trinitarians? I myself as a mystic am a Panentheist, but most Mormons are Henotheistic.

I did know this yes. Mormons believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three separate beings that together make the Godhead, a unified group (for the lack of a better word) in spirit, desire, action and will. So essentially, they believe in one Godhead but separate Godly entities. I don't necessarily have a problem with this because it's impossible to disprove from the Bible or from any other source. If Joseph Smith saw what he claimed to see, it is likely true.

I don't know what a Panentheist is, could you explain that to me?

Good Afternoon jinc1019. Welcome to the forums. I hope you're having a fine day! :)

Me believing in Heavenly Mother is not contingent upon her being referenced in written scripture. I've received my witness from the source of scripture, which is the Spirit. However, there is mention of Her and has been. Many references to Her have been removed, distorted, forgotten, dismissed, ignored, explained away, etc.

But, most important to realize in all of this is that the Spirit is the source of scripture. The Spirit's utterances are scripture.

-Finrock

I appreciate the kind welcome Finrock!

I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree. Without any reason to believe in a Heavenly Mother, I don't really see the reason for doing so.

I appreciate the kind welcome Finrock!

I respect your opinion but respectfully disagree. Without any reason to believe in a Heavenly Mother, I don't really see the reason for doing so.

Your contention is circular. Of course if you don't see a reason you don't have a reason.

But, that is not to mean there isn't a reason. I just gave you a reason. The Spirit. The Spirit is the source of scripture.

-Finrock

I don't know what a Panentheist is, could you explain that to me?

I can sort of explain it, but understanding will of course demand its own price.

God is the source of everything in the universe. You and I are parts of God Himself. Everything we see or experience is God working within God.

Joseph taught that we share a common substance with God, which he described as "intelligence". This is how being His/Her children can work. It gets fairly mystical from there on out. ADDED: Ok, it's all mystical. Sorry.

Edited by HiJolly

Your contention is circular. Of course if you don't see a reason you don't have a reason.

But, that is not to mean there isn't a reason. I just gave you a reason. The Spirit. The Spirit is the source of scripture.

-Finrock

And then we have to get into a discussion of canonized scripture, official doctrines, and personal revelation.

When we're in the "Learn about the Mormon Church" sub-forum, we have to treat questions as though we are in the Gospel Essentials/Principles class. We need to be clear and careful on how we answer questions.

We believe in personal revelation, yes. We believe in being taught by the ultimate teacher - the Spirit.

The source of our canonized doctrine are the scriptures: The KJV of the Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. This is the core and root of our scriptural basis of our faith.

Gospel Principles Chapter 10: Scriptures

We believe in modern day revelation from living Prophets and Apostles. They help lead and guide us along the paths outlined in the Scriptures. We receive advice, guidance, and counsel from them on a continuous basis. However, to differentiate between canonized scripture, the last time we made a change to our canonized scriptures was in 1978 with Official Declaration 2.

Gospel Principles Chapter 9: Prophets of God

However, we also believe in personal revelation and even personal scripture, but it is not binding upon the whole Church. For example, as members of the Church, we can receive a Patriarchal Blessing... a blessing that is essentially personal revelation and scripture for us. That blessing can help us understand more of our eternal nature, our strengths, and our personal gifts of the Spirit.

Gospel Principles Chapter 22: The Gifts of the Spirit

I have a PERSONAL opinion and belief that we have a Heavenly Mother. Why is She not mentioned in ancient scripture? I have a theory. If we look around and hear how often the Lord's name is used in vain, and the Father's name as well... would you want the same to happen to YOUR wife? I know I wouldn't. Maybe that's a weak theory, but I like it. It is in harmony with our beliefs about eternal families.

Why would we strive to have eternal families if the Father didn't have one?

Gospel Principles Chapter 36: The Family Can Be Eternal

Edited by skippy740

Good Afternoon skippy740. I hope you are doing well! :)

And then we have to get into a discussion of canonized scripture, official doctrines, and personal revelation.

When we're in the "Learn about the Mormon Church" sub-forum, we have to treat questions as though we are in the Gospel Essentials/Principles class. We need to be clear and careful on how we answer questions.

We believe in personal revelation, yes. We believe in being taught by the ultimate teacher - the Spirit.

The source of our canonized doctrine are the scriptures: The KJV of the Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. This is the core and root of our scriptural basis of our faith.

We believe in modern day revelation from living Prophets and Apostles. They help lead and guide us along the paths outlined in the Scriptures. We receive advice, guidance, and counsel from them on a continuous basis. However, to differentiate between canonized scripture, the last time we made a change to our canonized scriptures was in 1978 with Official Declaration 2.

However, we also believe in personal revelation and even personal scripture, but it is not binding upon the whole Church. For example, as members of the Church, we can receive a Patriarchal Blessing... a blessing that is essentially personal revelation and scripture for us. That blessing can help us understand more of our eternal nature, our strengths, and our personal gifts of the Spirit.

I have a PERSONAL opinion and belief that we have a Heavenly Mother. Why is She not mentioned in ancient scripture? I have a theory. If we look around and hear how often the Lord's name is used in vain, and the Father's name as well... would you want the same to happen to YOUR wife? I know I wouldn't. Maybe that's a weak theory, but I like it. It is in harmony with our beliefs about eternal families.

I am providing a witness to the reality of Heavenly Mother. Either I speak falsehoods or I speak truth. No matter which man testifies of truth, they are only a man. All truth comes from the Spirit. Any man or woman who utters the words of the Spirit are uttering truth.

It is up to the individual to accept or to test my witness or not. If my witness doesn't do anything for anyone, so be it. If it does, wonderful. I hope they will get their own witness from the only source that matters...The Spirit!

-Finrock

-Finrock

You are right. But the problem with this is...if the Spirit doesn't confirm this belief in an individual, which is the case with myself, then there isn't any hope of ever believing it based on that reliance.

Very nice overview. Thank you so much for providing it.

Justin

Apparently I need to learn more about what Mormons actually believe from the BOC, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price. It seems to me that much of what I have heard about Mormonism is largely false or exaggerated or taken to be official doctrine when it is not. Speaking as someone who has never even really known a Mormon personally, you all have really been given the shaft by the general Christian community in America.

Things are getting better:

Evangelical visits to BYU signal a new evangelical-Mormon detente

“At the very least, the two communities, evangelicals and Mormons, have been … each other’s worst enemies,” said Richard Mouw, the former president of Fuller Theological Seminary and a longtime proponent of evangelical-Mormon dialogue.

“There’s a significant part of the evangelical movement that is now having healthy and friendly conversations, and it’s gone from a group of two dozen scholars talking to each other to church leaders meeting each other, going to see each other.”

Apparently I need to learn more about what Mormons actually believe from the BOC, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price. It seems to me that much of what I have heard about Mormonism is largely false or exaggerated or taken to be official doctrine when it is not. Speaking as someone who has never even really known a Mormon personally, you all have really been given the shaft by the general Christian community in America.

Correct; however, if you come accross scriptures which you are unsure of or what they mean please do not interpret them from your perspective. In order to understand our beliefs make sure you understand our core doctrines.

I, personally, find it very nerving when I read on the internet, or watch a youtube video, and someone tries to twist our doctrine by saying, "You see, this is what Mormons believe, it is in their scripture," and they are interpreting our scripture incorrectly.

So to speak, coming from a skit with a judge and the man says, "Well, I am not a man, who would commit a murder." The judge responds, "Wait, did you say you are 'not a man,' hmm.."

Taking our doctrine out of context doesn't help in learning what we actually believe.