What Is Your Favorite Evidence for Joseph Smith?

I know this may sound like an odd question...but I am curious what each of you find to be the best, or favorite, piece of evidence that you have found that helps to show Joseph Smith is a true prophet.

I have been praying on the issue and attended an LDS service today, but still remain uncertain and would like to know what evidence all of you found to be most convincing.

I know that for many of you, this evidence is likely the Holy Spirit, but I was hoping to hear more general pieces of evidence rather than personal testimonies, although those are welcome too of course. Thank you all for your time!

Justin

Honestly, the world is so full of people peddling salvation and God, that the only way I had to finally determine which one (if any) was right, was to receive clear, direct revelation from God on His thoughts about the whole thing. Without that testimony, I wouldn't be a mormon, or probably anything else either.

Honestly, the world is so full of people peddling salvation and God, that the only way I had to finally determine which one (if any) was right, was to receive clear, direct revelation from God on His thoughts about the whole thing. Without that testimony, I wouldn't be a mormon, or probably anything else either.

If you don't mind me asking, how did that testimony come? It's perfectly fine if you are not comfortable sharing that.

While I primarily rely upon my testimony, I will share with you some scriptural verses to help substantiate my testimony:

2 Nephi 3

15 And his name shall be called after me; and it shall be after the name of his father. And he shall be like unto me; for the thing, which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand, by the power of the Lord shall bring my people unto salvation.

This chapter was quoting Joseph of Egypt prophesying about Joseph Smith, Junior... who was (of course) named after his father.

While I primarily rely upon my testimony, I will share with you some scriptural verses to help substantiate my testimony:

2 Nephi 3

This chapter was quoting Joseph of Egypt prophesying about Joseph Smith, Junior... who was (of course) named after his father.

Very nice piece of scripture...Thank you for sharing it.

Two things. 1) Bible prophecies concerning the last days and 2) doctrines of the church not found anywhere else, but are confirmed quite clearly in the Bible. Just the use of the word "Saints' in Mormonism vs Christianity is very powerful to me. Mormons simply fit with the Bible better than any other faith.

Two things. 1) Bible prophecies concerning the last days and 2) doctrines of the church not found anywhere else, but are confirmed quite clearly in the Bible. Just the use of the word "Saints' in Mormonism vs Christianity is very powerful to me. Mormons simply fit with the Bible better than any other faith.

Thank you for sharing. Are you saying that Bible prophecies about the last days confirmed the truth about Mormonism because something in them pointed to Smith? I haven't heard that before.

Thank you for sharing. Are you saying that Bible prophecies about the last days confirmed the truth about Mormonism because something in them pointed to Smith? I haven't heard that before.

Off the top of my head, here are a couple examples:

Isaiah 2:2

2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

The word Utah derives from the Utes which means the people of the mountains.

Revelation 14:6

6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

The obvious interpretation is that the gospel will be sent via an angel to the entire world.

But it is still important that you realize that evidence is not a testimony. Only God can tell you whether this is true.

Edited by bytebear

I wonder how many converts to the church were influenced, at least initially, by the positive example set by a member?

That is what led me to investigate the Church, its not what made me join however. I didn't join until I had a testimony that what was being taught was true AND that God wanted me to act upon it.

Off the top of my head, here are a couple examples:

Isaiah 2:2

2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

The word Utah derives from the Utes which means the people of the mountains.

Revelation 14:6

6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

The obvious interpretation is that the gospel will be sent via an angel to the entire world.

But it is still important that you realize that evidence is not a testimony. Only God can tell you whether this is true.

I do understand that...yes! I appreciate your contribution

I know this may sound like an odd question...but I am curious what each of you find to be the best, or favorite, piece of evidence that you have found that helps to show Joseph Smith is a true prophet.

Frankly? I think the biggest evidence is that the more I read about Joseph Smith, the more I think the guy would have bugged the snot out of me. He could be by turns demanding, overbearing, unsympathetic, rash, hyperbolic, arrogant, and pugnacious. (He had virtues, to be sure--many of them--but the faults I've noted are ones I tend to find particularly irritating.)

But there's such a disconnect between the personal traits that I read about in Smith, versus the recorded teachings and doctrines that actually come from him; that I can't help but conclude that the power of God was in that man.

Frankly? I think the biggest evidence is that the more I read about Joseph Smith, the more I think the guy would have bugged the snot out of me. He could be by turns demanding, overbearing, unsympathetic, rash, hyperbolic, arrogant, and pugnacious. (He had virtues, to be sure--many of them--but the faults I've noted are ones I tend to find particularly irritating.)

But there's such a disconnect between the personal traits that I read about in Smith, versus the recorded teachings and doctrines that actually come from him; that I can't help but conclude that the power of God was in that man.

That's a very unique (at least in my studies so far) way of looking at Smith. It is true that God has often chosen people for leadership who may otherwise seem to be poor leaders (St. Peter for instance). Perhaps the reasons you cite are exactly why!

Some additional scriptures to compare with each other:

Isaiah 29:11-12

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

Compare to 2 Nephi 27:15-17

15 But behold, it shall come to pass that the Lord God shall say unto him to whom he shall deliver the book: Take these words which are not sealed and deliver them to another, that he may show them unto the learned, saying: Read this, I pray thee. And the learned shall say: Bring hither the book, and I will read them.

16 And now, because of the glory of the world and to get gain will they say this, and not for the glory of God.

17 And the man shall say: I cannot bring the book, for it is sealed.

Compared with Joseph Smith History 1:63-65

63 Sometime in this month of February, the aforementioned Mr. Martin Harris came to our place, got the characters which I had drawn off the plates, and started with them to the city of New York. For what took place relative to him and the characters, I refer to his own account of the circumstances, as he related them to me after his return, which was as follows:

64 “I went to the city of New York, and presented the characters which had been translated, with the translation thereof, to Professor Charles Anthon, a gentleman celebrated for his literary attainments. Professor Anthon stated that the translation was correct, more so than any he had before seen translated from the Egyptian. I then showed him those which were not yet translated, and he said that they were Egyptian, Chaldaic, Assyriac, and Arabic; and he said they were true characters. He gave me a certificate, certifying to the people of Palmyra that they were true characters, and that the translation of such of them as had been translated was also correct. I took the certificate and put it into my pocket, and was just leaving the house, when Mr. Anthon called me back, and asked me how the young man found out that there were gold plates in the place where he found them. I answered that an angel of God had revealed it unto him.

65 “He then said to me, ‘Let me see that certificate.’ I accordingly took it out of my pocket and gave it to him, when he took it and tore it to pieces, saying that there was no such thing now as ministering of angels, and that if I would bring the plates to him he would translate them. I informed him that part of the plates were sealed, and that I was forbidden to bring them. He replied, ‘I cannot read a sealed book.’ I left him and went to Dr. Mitchell, who sanctioned what Professor Anthon had said respecting both the characters and the translation.”

Compare Isaiah 29:13-14

13 ¶Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

And the Testimony of Joseph Smith - Joseph Smith History 1:19

19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

Additional scriptures to read and compare:

Ezekiel 37:16-17

16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:

17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.

2 Nephi 3:12

12 Wherefore, the fruit of thy loins shall write; and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together, unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to the knowledge of their fathers in the latter days, and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord.

1 Nephi 5:14

14 And it came to pass that my father, Lehi, also found upon the plates of brass a genealogy of his fathers; wherefore he knew that he was a descendant of Joseph; yea, even that Joseph who was the son of Jacob, who was sold into Egypt, and who was preserved by the hand of the Lord, that he might preserve his father, Jacob, and all his household from perishing with famine.

2 Nephi 29:8

8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

Additional scriptures to read and compare:

Ezekiel 37:16-17

2 Nephi 3:12

1 Nephi 5:14

2 Nephi 29:8

All of these prophecies are very interesting and I admit they could point to Smith, but it seems equally possible Smith wrote the things he did with those prophecies in mind. It's difficult to say, but I appreciate the great deal of evidence!

All of these prophecies are very interesting and I admit they could point to Smith, but it seems equally possible Smith wrote the things he did with those prophecies in mind. It's difficult to say, but I appreciate the great deal of evidence!

Something to consider:

-If Joseph Smith really did translate the plates as God had intended, then 'he' didn't write anything, but simply translated. He would be a Prophet.

-If Joseph Smith 'wrote' The Book of Mormon... then it is the largest falsehood and deception ever.

There is no 'middle choice' here. Either he is a Prophet, or not.

Your challenge is to determine which it is, and which way you will go with that knowledge. :)

Something to consider:

-If Joseph Smith really did translate the plates as God had intended, then 'he' didn't write anything, but simply translated. He would be a Prophet.

-If Joseph Smith 'wrote' The Book of Mormon... then it is the largest falsehood and deception ever.

There is no 'middle choice' here. Either he is a Prophet, or not.

Your challenge is to determine which it is, and which way you will go with that knowledge. :)

You are absolutely correct. Either Smith was really quite an evil man who deliberately tricked millions of people (counting modern Mormons) into believing a total lie about God OR he was a prophet of God. That's it. There is no way he could have been confused or delusional or anything else...He either was a prophet, or he was a very, very bad person.

You are absolutely correct. Either Smith was really quite an evil man who deliberately tricked millions of people (counting modern Mormons) into believing a total lie about God OR he was a prophet of God. That's it. There is no way he could have been confused or delusional or anything else...He either was a prophet, or he was a very, very bad person.

And then we get to ponder about motives...