One Million Dollars worth of Gold Bullion found in a Restroom

Still_Small_Voice

Janitors of a commercial airliner in eastern India found 24 gold bars, valued at about $ 1.1 million in a compartment of the aircraft's bathroom, according to the country's authorities released on Wednesday, according to AFP .

The plane, the company Jet Airways, was undergoing cleaning this Tuesday at Kolkata airport after a trip originating in the city of Patna. Before this flight, the plane was used on international routes.

BP Mishra, airport director, said the staffs were cleaning the plane when they found the two bags in the bathroom. The bars, which together weigh 1 kilogram, were not claimed by anyone. Mishra added that it was not made any arrests so far.

India: 24 gold bars are found in airplane bathroom

In my opinion, I think it is money that was being used for some illegal purpose. Likely the person who lost it will be murdered for losing it sadly.

To combat the fact that you're probably right... I just created an entire Heist or 007 plot based off the idea that whomever NEEDED it to be found. Also, a sub plot with it actually not found at all, but after the entire story is over a news announcer voice declares "In local news 1.1m in gold was found in an airline stall" to explain how it came to be acquired.

Q

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I just did some research on the value of the found gold. I don't know what money type they were using to calculate the value of the gold but it is far from one million in American dollars.

There was supposedly 1 kilogram of gold found. There are 1,000 grams in a kilogram. There are 31.1 grams in a Troy ounce. A Troy ounce of gold is selling at close to $1,260 on November 20th 2013. Do the math and the value adds up to around $40,500 in American dollars. This is not even close to one million.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

I just did some research on the value of the found gold. I don't know what money type they were using to calculate the value of the gold but it is far from one million in American dollars.

There was supposedly 1 kilogram of gold found. There are 1,000 grams in a kilogram. There are 31.1 grams in a Troy ounce. A Troy ounce of gold is selling at close to $1,260 on November 20th 2013. Do the math and the value adds up to around $40,500 in American dollars. This is not even close to one million dollars.

Even the BBC is giving a high figure for 1 kg of gold: BBC News - Gold bars worth $1.1m found in plane toilet in India

I'm with Still_Small_Voice in that given the facts as reported things aren't adding up. For those curious, given a price of $1,260/troy oz. it would take ~25 kgs to be a million dollars worth of gold. Either those bars have a large value beyond the precious metal in them or someone misreported the value or amount of gold found. Interestingly if each bar was 1 kg then it works better, with 24 kg of gold being worth ~972,00 dollars.

Not at all.

Here - let me spell it out for you.

1. Guy is trying to smuggle 14 bars of gold out of somewhere and into somewhere else.

2. Janitors: "Holy heck - look at all that gold! There must be twelve bars!"

3. Cops: "Yes, we have recovered 10 bars of gold."

4. Transport crew: "Sign here for delivery of 8 bars of gold, which is what we were tasked to deliver."

5. Storage officer: "Checking in 7 bars of gold."

6. Shift supervisor: "Ok reporters, you can come see the 1kg of gold we seized. What? Earlier reports said there was more? Well, is shows right here on the manifest - 1kg."

In other words, the authorities have been walking off with the gold. (You do know that people are sinful, right? ^_^)

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Not at all.

Here - let me spell it out for you.

1. Guy is trying to smuggle 14 bars of gold out of somewhere and into somewhere else.

2. Janitors: "Holy heck - look at all that gold! There must be twelve bars!"

3. Cops: "Yes, we have recovered 10 bars of gold."

4. Transport crew: "Sign here for delivery of 8 bars of gold, which is what we were tasked to deliver."

5. Storage officer: "Checking in 7 bars of gold."

6. Shift supervisor: "Ok reporters, you can come see the 1kg of gold we seized. What? Earlier reports said there was more? Well, is shows right here on the manifest - 1kg."

In other words, the authorities have been walking off with the gold. (You do know that people are sinful, right? ^_^)

It isn't difficult LM. If Cop receives 12 bars of gold and turns around and says, "There were 10 bars of gold." He misreported the amount of gold. I'm not an idiot despite what you might be trying to imply. I'm well aware that people may have pocketed some gold, but to do so they'd have to lie, or in other words misreport the amount of gold they found. Which would mean *drumroll* someone misreported the amount of gold.

So quite frankly you can take your smilie and sit on it.

Edited by Dravin

[Oh, and I suppose a full spelling out also needs mention that nobody ever finds the guy who tried to smuggle the gold, but there is one additional John Doe in the morgue within the week.]

I don't think it's very nice to predict the death of an LDS.net head moderator.

[Oh, and I suppose a full spelling out also needs mention that nobody ever finds the guy who tried to smuggle the gold, but there is one additional John Doe in the morgue within the week.]

I don't think it's very nice to predict the death of an LDS.net head moderator.

In fairness, John Doe just uploaded a new avatar before he disappeared.

gold_man_09.jpg