ladies only please

missmollymormon

Hello sisters...

I am a newly endowed member of the church. I love my garments, to me they feel like a hug from heaven. I just have one small problem I hope you may be able to belp me with.... ladies time of the month! I suffer from pcos, so the first two days are usually quite heavy for me, and I find that no matter what I do I am always making a mess of my garment bottoms... I dont want to be continually replacing them, so for the past two rounds I have skipped wearing the bottoms on the heavy days. I am sure heavenly father understands my position, however I have made a covenant to wear them which I take seriously and I would prefer to find a way to wear the garments, top and bottom all month round. Do any of you ladies have any tips that may help me? I am sorry if this is all tmi, im fairly private about these things and it just seems easier to ask random people on the internet than cornering my relief society president... thanks :)

maxi pads with wings and changed often as well as a tampon solved the issues for me. My periods got to the point where it felt like hemorrhaging for 2-3 days.

I have never had to replace garments because of my period. Hydrogen peroxide takes blood out of everything. Also, OxyClean soak helps too.

This article and especially many of the comments made me sad.

I am so glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way. It felt to me that some of the people that commented looked upon Garments as a nuisance and should be adapted to suit their fashion needs. I understand that there are some genuine health issues that could be aggravated by garments and in those circumstances it can be understandable that adjustments would need to be made, but some of those commenting just seemed to be inconvenienced by their garments.

It's ok to wear your regular undergarments underneath or on top of your garments during your period. I have to do this.

The comments were interesting, especially the one from a man, who wanted to shut the discussion down.

I'm glad I'm not the only person with a problem with the tags, both their presence and their placement. I've tried cutting them out, but then you risk the seam coming loose.

I loved this: "She said the bishop stopped her right there and said, 'The Lord understands.'" I wish more people would think this way before they have a stroke over every little thing they do for fear they are sinning.

I have never had problems with garments. Maybe it was because I grew up with active parents who talked about it with us and their importance. I feel for people who can't wear them because of health or physical problems. It has to be conflicting. A lady I knew couldn't because she would break out in a rash ALL over.

Getting garments that fit right, doesn't cause more staph infections, and doesn't make me feel like I am overheating. I'm a convert to the church, have no members in my family to ask, and have a few anti-church family members. I moved wards right before getting my temple recommend so no home or visiting teachers to ask and not sure how to explain my concerns to a new Bishop (he is also a new Bishop period). I live in the South (Florida) and have had issues with heat stroke/exhaustion. And like I said above, staph infections and one bout with MRSA. The article makes me feel concerned wearing garments.

If you have a distribution center near you they can help you. There are lots of different fabric choices when it comes to garments, including some intended for hot-weather areas. There are Temple-Endowed members of the Church in tropical areas, deserts, etc. and has been for years, so making sure you don't get too hot is definitely a consideration the Church has made in designing the garments. :)

I've had staph infections on my inner left thigh from tight fitting pants and workout shorts. Before I became a member, I was playing hockey in tournaments and the wet gear/jill shorts would cause a lot of infections. And they were diagnosed and seen by a doctor for antibiotics. I've heard people complain about yeast infections and that is still a concern too (my body doesn't fight infections very well). I've also lost about 40 lbs which probably helped with clothes fitting better.

My distribution center is about two hours away at the temple. Not the farthest away but also not the closest if I don't get the right size or fabrics. I've had limited experience going to the distribution center with other people.

Would wearing a panty liner that you change regularly help with this, I wonder?

Possibly, but I think the bigger concern is just the wearing of extra layers. The skin, particularly the darker places, needs to be able to breathe, and wearing layer upon layer doesn't exactly help with that. Finding the right fabric is more likely to make a bigger difference. Also, adapting to your own personal medical needs. I have a family member who suffers from fibromyalgia, and at times, she can't wear her garments at all, because having anything on her skin is just too painful for her.

Getting garments that fit right, doesn't cause more staph infections, and doesn't make me feel like I am overheating. I'm a convert to the church, have no members in my family to ask, and have a few anti-church family members. I moved wards right before getting my temple recommend so no home or visiting teachers to ask and not sure how to explain my concerns to a new Bishop (he is also a new Bishop period). I live in the South (Florida) and have had issues with heat stroke/exhaustion. And like I said above, staph infections and one bout with MRSA. The article makes me feel concerned wearing garments.

I have found wearing looser fitting clothes helps keep me cooler. Tighter clothes don't let the heat and moisture out.

My distribution center is about two hours away at the temple. Not the farthest away but also not the closest if I don't get the right size or fabrics. I've had limited experience going to the distribution center with other people.

The ladies who work in the distribution center will help you make sure you get the right fit and fabrics to suit your needs - I went thru in June and my temple/distribution center is over 4hrs away and the staff were amazing.

Staph lives on our skin. If you're struggling with repeated staph infections you need to see your doctor. Garments will not cause an infection anymore than other fabrics will. The bacteria or virus cause the infection.

Go one size bigger to make sure they are loose. Definitely buy natural fibers.

Also, at the beginning only buy two pair. Experiment with the different styles and fabrics. Also... your Bishop's wife, the RS President or a sister in your ward who you are comfortable with can be very helpful.

I admit, garment wearing will be a tough one for me if that time ever comes.

Bini, I was 19 when I was endowed and garments were one piece. I thought they would be a big issue for me. I was surprised that they weren't. Now that the two piece are common I find that I miss the one piece sometimes. Especially because I didn't have to worry about tucking them into a waistband.

I have had some of the issues over the years that were discussed in the article. Resolving the issues is easy when you are committed to the covenants made that require you wear the garment.

Try not to be stressed about it too much. You might find its not that big a deal after all.

I am so glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way. It felt to me that some of the people that commented looked upon Garments as a nuisance and should be adapted to suit their fashion needs. I understand that there are some genuine health issues that could be aggravated by garments and in those circumstances it can be understandable that adjustments would need to be made, but some of those commenting just seemed to be inconvenienced by their garments.

It's ok to wear your regular undergarments underneath or on top of your garments during your period. I have to do this.

Over the years I have had some of the issues discussed in the article. But I didn't have the attitude expressed in the article.

I think that attitude makes all the difference in finding solutions. Writing an article on the internet doesn't solve anything.

Staph lives on our skin. If you're struggling with repeated staph infections you need to see your doctor. Garments will not cause an infection anymore than other fabrics will. The bacteria or virus cause the infection.

Go one size bigger to make sure they are loose. Definitely buy natural fibers.

Also, at the beginning only buy two pair. Experiment with the different styles and fabrics. Also... your Bishop's wife, the RS President or a sister in your ward who you are comfortable with can be very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions. I figure I will probably have a few more 'freak out' moments before making it to the temple. Our only temple is closed for the next two weeks so I'm not sure when I will be going. Would buying a size bigger be excessively longer? I wear petite size clothing as it is right now (seem to have short limb syndrome).