Introduction

zshallr

I just read the responses to my posts and got a chuckle out of them. I'm a member of the church that wishes I lived during the days of Joseph I suppose. Just like a person who would call them self a "Constitutionalist" with idea's of getting back to original government I'm much the same with Mormonism. I view myself as a "Restorationist" longing for the days when we get back to the roots of our religion. I use "Restorationist" because “fundamentalist” quickly puts me in the polygamy camp which I'm not. So I'm just a guy that takes everything I hear at General Conference, Stake Conference, Ward Conference or regular Sunday meetings and follows up. Not trying to pick a fight with the brethren or anyone else. I just like to ask questions and verify what I hear. I've found some remarkable stuff as I let go of the "traditions of my fathers" and really dig into what the scriptures say. Makes for fun research projects on one's spare time. I hope that's a good enough intro. No, I'm not a person that's been screwed by leadership as some suggest on previous threads. Just a person that likes to study and ask questions.

Yes, I watched it and enjoyed it. For the most part it was pretty accurate. The main argument is that it was to negative and did not give fair treatment to the "positives" of the Mormon church. My response? You can get plenty of the warm fuzzy stuff at regular Sunday meetings, missionaries discussions, hometeaching visits or anywhere else. It was nice to see something on the "other side" of the fence for a change which may tip the balance back to the middle showing true history and roots of Mormonism.

You can get plenty of the warm fuzzy stuff at regular Sunday meetings, missionaries discussions, hometeaching visits or anywhere else. It was nice to see something on the "other side" of the fence for a change which may tip the balance back to the middle showing true history and roots of Mormonism.

You apparently don't surf the Internet much.

Or watch movies. Or TV...

:lol::lol:

please tell me they where not playing "rape me" at the stake center :dontknow::hmmm:

Actually I have nothing against Nirvana, "come as you are" or "pennyroyal tea" from their unplugged cd is prob one of my favorite songs.

Though I do get tired of explainng to people that pennyroyal tea is not about ru-486....

please tell me they where not playing "rape me" at the stake center :dontknow::hmmm:

Actually I have nothing against Nirvana, "come as you are" or "pennyroyal tea" from their unplugged cd is prob one of my favorite songs....

If it weren't for my Nirvana-loving niece and Rockstar INXS, I'd have no idea what you're talking about. :)

M.

Yeh Bro, Nirvana are cool, they really fill me with the Spirit and make me think a whole load of good stuff.

I'm starting to see where you're really coming from dude. Like totally rad man.

Amusing, Luke, almost worthy of a smile. A careful reading of my post will show that I did not say Nirvana filled me with the Spirit. I said not all their songs are evil. Do I own any Nirvana songs or CD's? Nope. Do I think someone's a bonehead if they do? Nope.

By the by, whoever told you that youth go to dances to feel the Spirit should be ashamed. Anyone knows that's not the intent of dances.

By the by, whoever told you that youth go to dances to feel the Spirit should be ashamed. Anyone knows that's not the intent of dances.

Of course not. We should be careful of what music we allow to be played at such dances, but the whole point is to have fun and socialize.

<div class='quotemain'> By the by, whoever told you that youth go to dances to feel the Spirit should be ashamed. Anyone knows that's not the intent of dances.

Of course not. We should be careful of what music we allow to be played at such dances, but the whole point is to have fun and socialize.

thats right....to socialize and have fun and make new friends....wow to get music for a Stake Dance is tough...you gotta be on your toes....LOL!!!!

While I don't enjoy going to YSA dances myself (and can't right now even if I did want to), one of my friends runs a professional DJ company (has for over 10 years). I go with him to both school and LDS Church dances, help him set up his gear and lights (which rock), and endure a few boring hours until I get paid. I appreciate the work, but I also appreciate how difficult a DJ's job is in terms of appropriate music.

You have twenty people telling you, "Play this," or "This is inappropriate," or "Why haven't you played this?" from kids and adults. You have to find the "happy middle" which isn't always so happy for everyone. B)

There are several Nirvana songs that neither he nor I would ever play at a dance. DJ's aren't generally idiots (though I've seen several who are at Church dances). My point, I guess, is that DJ's do their best most of the time to give the kids a clean, safe alternative to other dance settings which often don't have constraints on the music selection or dance moves allowed. Also, there are many, many tastes in genres of music and a good DJ tries to find decent songs from each to give everyone a lil' bit of what they enjoy.

Give 'em a break. :ph34r:

thats right....to socialize and have fun and make new friends....wow to get music for a Stake Dance is tough...you gotta be on your toes....LOL!!!!

Our stake YM and YW finally got together and compiled a huge list of songs that are acceptable for stake dances. It took weeks, and it's 38 pages long, but we did it... :blink:

Guest Emma Hale Smith

I just read the responses to my posts and got a chuckle out of them. I'm a member of the church that wishes I lived during the days of Joseph I suppose. Just like a person who would call them self a "Constitutionalist" with idea's of getting back to original government I'm much the same with Mormonism. I view myself as a "Restorationist" longing for the days when we get back to the roots of our religion. I use "Restorationist" because “fundamentalist” quickly puts me in the polygamy camp which I'm not. So I'm just a guy that takes everything I hear at General Conference, Stake Conference, Ward Conference or regular Sunday meetings and follows up. Not trying to pick a fight with the brethren or anyone else. I just like to ask questions and verify what I hear. I've found some remarkable stuff as I let go of the "traditions of my fathers" and really dig into what the scriptures say. Makes for fun research projects on one's spare time. I hope that's a good enough intro. No, I'm not a person that's been screwed by leadership as some suggest on previous threads. Just a person that likes to study and ask questions.

What sorts of things do you feel were part of Joseph's church that are missing from today's church that you would like to see restored?

Emma

Its about the sanctity of the Lords church, the Lords buildings. There, now do you get it?

And the Lord's church has separate rooms for separate purposes. I don't recall any dances being held in the chapel. They're held in the gym, or the "multi-purpose" room as it's called. How is having a dance in a church any less reverent than playing basketball in the church?

They're not irreverent when in the appropriate room. That's why churches have "multi-purpose" rooms. I don't get your point???

I think your Urim and Thummin needs new batteries...... :idea:

Actually it's solar-powered and the sky has been overcast all week. :wow:

Guest mamacat

the proper term for the LDS facility would be 'meetinghouse,' rather than 'church', would it not?

the place where the LDS body gathers, meets, and interacts...in a variety of formats.

*edit...whereas, i don't think that LDS sponsors dances in the temples.....