Feeding the missionaries -- need ideas!

Normandy

I just make extra servings of whatever it is we're having for dinner that day.

But for cheap and super easy to make big dinner alternatives (not necessarily healthy ones so only use occassionally):

1.) Spaghetti and meatballs with ceasar salad and garlic bread.

2.) Tacos - I just buy the box set.

3.) Butter Chicken (or any of the Patak sauces) with mixed veggies and rice

4.) Crockpot pot roast

And many other things.

The members in our ward too provides the main meal for the missionaries each day. Some of the homes they love & look forward to, some they don't ... it is interesting to hear the whys.

The get lots of "Sunday Dinners" during the week. You know the type, the pot roasts with all the sides, or the turkey or ham dinners. They also get a lot of the open a jar of spaghetti sauce spaghetti type meals.

The members they look forward to feeding them? Those that have very basic home-cooked mostly from scratch meals.

or

The meals where the member takes them out to restaurant.

& Sometimes even a good Pizza!

The meal we feed the missionaries 18-months ago that the Elders always ask for (even though these are not the same Elder's they have heard about this meal) .... What I grew up calling "Navajo Tacos". Fry-bread cooked over an open fire (even in the winter) & topped with refried beans, ground beef, & all the normal taco toppings.

& then we sit around on the floor (or the ground) or using folding tables rather then setting the table.

Maybe it's the concept of the fire pit blazing away in the pit, or maybe that it's 100% informal (no dinning table etc), I don't know but it seems every set of Elders excitedly ask if that's what we are feeding them.

Okay, vegan, so leave out the ground beef, in a dish like this I doubt it'll be noticed!

We're vegan/vegetarian -- think they'll be okay eating dishes with no meat?

We aren't vegetarian, but eat meatless a few times a week. It's cheaper that way! I don't know enough about vegan rules to give you many good ideas, but maybe a hearty soup and bread would work. Anything filling!

I spoiled them. As it was just me and my son (and he'd hide in the basement), I'd go all out. I made whatever they were craving. I made turkey, we celebrated Chinese New Year's with a big spread delivered from a restaurant, one guy had lived in North Carolina and I made southern pork chops and a whole southern style meal (and yes, I cooked meat for them because they were working hard and I thought they should have what they wanted, not what I wanted), we had steak dinners, and just about everything else. When I couldn't have them over, I'd take a big container of spaghetti and sauce with some ice cream or make chicken tenders with rice, etc. and get a dessert.

I guess the point is to make it special if you can and want to; they appreciate it. But, as Vort said, they are growing boys - they will eat whatever you put in front of them, so just make what you will make for your family. I enjoyed cooking for them, so I'd go all out. I know people in the ward who call out for pizza when the missionaries are over. Wouldn't be me, but it's not the worse thing.

I took out the missionaries to the local el-cheapo pizza buffet once... and man... those boys can EAT! I counted their pizza slices because I couldn't believe my eyes... one missionary had 17 slices of pizza... the other 14 slices. And then they had desert! The interesting thing is - the 17 slices guy is this super tiny kid from Brazil - he was not much taller than me and I'm five foot nothing. The 14 slices guy is this gigantic dude from Samoa.

I knew some missionaries who went regularly to an investigator family's home for vegetarian meals. They raved about the food as it was often fresh fruit and veggies they didn't see a lot of and was also full of flavour (most of the member meals tend to be stodgy pasta/meat/sauce combos).

We don't get to feed the missionaries much here - current MP doesn't want the members feeding them except on Fri, Sat and Sun nights - and then it's only a 30 minute stay unless there is an investigator/non-member present.

Last week we ordered pizza for the family and there was an extra pizza in the deal that we couldn't eat - we called the missionaries to collect it and later on they told us how thankful they were because they had just gotten home, there was no food to eat in their apartment and they were resigned to going without that night. I realised they must be feeling a bit neglected as they said it made them feel good to know that 'some' people in the ward were really looking out for them.

I'd also ask them what they like if you are planning to drop off food. Just a few years ago we had some sister missionaries who were regularly housebound as one of them was suffering with a health condition (after surgery during the mission didn't help, she eventually went home early). I spent a lot of time driving them around or purchasing them things they needed...I was shocked at the casserole dishes full of food on their kitchen shelf that members had dropped off with best intentions. Most of it never got eaten - they didn't eat what they didn't like.

Not only do they not complain, they will be honestly grateful for it.

I've never heard any complaints about what they were fed, I have however, heard complaints about how everybody sends left over desserts home with them (the comments was made after I acknowledged them having a counter full of sweets), but rarely do they get any of the main course leftovers .... sending home some leftovers make some very grateful missionaries lunchtime tomorrow too!!!

My husband would either make curry or the chicken broccoli casserole recipe he stole from his ex-wife. It's a big recipe.

One time, when he was ward mission leader and we fed the missionaries fairly often, he didn't schedule with me, so I was at work when the missionaries came.

They literally ate ALL the casserole and I had to fend for myself.

As for meatless dishes (we also go meatless a few times a week) it's simply that, a meatless dish.

THIS is a very hearty recipe that you can make vegan:

1 cup of lentils with plenty of water with a few things of [veggie] bouillon

2 sweet potatoes

1 can of pumpkin or its fresh equivalent

3 chopped carrots

1 onion chopped

Season to your liking.

Half a bowl of it and you're stuffed.

I've never heard any complaints about what they were fed, I have however, heard complaints about how everybody sends left over desserts home with them (the comments was made after I acknowledged them having a counter full of sweets), but rarely do they get any of the main course leftovers .... sending home some leftovers make some very grateful missionaries lunchtime tomorrow too!!!

Ooops, that was a lie!

I have heard the missionaries complain a couple of times about what they were fed ....

Mtn Lion (yes Cougar) they were NOT impressed with, but then they were fed ribs which I don't like pork or beef ribs, I can only imagine what cougar ribs are like ....

The other complaint was antelope stakes, yeah, I can imagine that too though I have fed them antelope sausage & they knew it wasn't "normal sausage" though they didn't believe me that it was antelope.

Dutch-Oven cooked porcupine was a hit until they found out that was what they had just eaten, then they weren't so sure about it.

We don't get to feed the missionaries much here - current MP doesn't want the members feeding them except on Fri, Sat and Sun nights - and then it's only a 30 minute stay unless there is an investigator/non-member present.

I really hate it when a M.P. does stuff like that, we had one that wouldn't let missionaries go to a members house for dinner unless an investigator was there.

His missionaries started loosing weight quickly, thankfully it only lasted a few months.

I really hate it when a M.P. does stuff like that, we had one that wouldn't let missionaries go to a members house for dinner unless an investigator was there.

I believe that was a church wide (at least for the US/Canada) rule. The missionaries had to eat between the hours of 3-5 pm and could only eat at a member's house if there was a non-member present.

It didn't last long either. Most families are in school/working from 3-5 pm and don't eat dinner until later. Our ward started buying groceries or trying to deliver food to them, but it was still difficult. The missionaries were not eating regularly and spending more money on food.

I believe that was a church wide (at least for the US/Canada) rule. The missionaries had to eat between the hours of 3-5 pm and could only eat at a member's house if there was a non-member present.

It didn't last long either. Most families are in school/working from 3-5 pm and don't eat dinner until later. Our ward started buying groceries or trying to deliver food to them, but it was still difficult. The missionaries were not eating regularly and spending more money on food.

It has been a while since I have read the Guidelines from COB for housing & feeding missionaries. It use to read very clearly that as a measure to reduce mission costs that whenever possible missionaries should be house by members and at least 1 meal a day provided by members in the area served. It then went on to emphasize that housing accommodation & meals should never become a burden or hardship on the members.

A lot of emphasis in North America has been for members to provide housing & meals; however, I know in many foreign missions they have put a stop to most of the member provided meals/housing simply because it was becoming a hardship on many of them.

I see providing meals or housing as a great opportunity for the members to be blessed by serving ... I can also see it being a hardship to many ... I also those things as opening the door for the Elders to abuse or miss use their time, spending several hours instead of just 1 hour at a members home for dinner.

I see providing meals or housing as a great opportunity for the members to be blessed by serving

Yes. There is little a new person can do in the Church. I don't know much. I don't sit around thinking about the Scriptures all the time, but, I can cook and I can feed the elders. It's a wonderful opportunity for service. I agree, though, that you don't want to make it a hardship for members.

We try to get them fed every night, even if it means that the food is delivered to their door because the husband is working at the hospital or one is a single sister <60.