Not sure if I can join LDS

echosparks

You say you and your wife know it is true (or strongly believe that it might be)...

You then also say you and your wife are unwilling to make sacrifices to embrace the truth.  That is of course a choice only you and your wife can make. But you should know that Christ was quiet clear on the need to sacrifice everything to follow him.

The choice to follow and embrace the truth you have found is up to you.

One problem  I have is that I  went to church with my wife,  I would be wearing a skirt suit, blouse and skirt, or a dress dependent on the time of year, which I am sure you would agree, would be out of place in a men's meeting.  I have seen posts, correct me if I am wrong, I could not be baptised if I was still taking hormones (which I am not, my breasts are the perfect sie for me now), or after I have a sex change operation, which I am not planning.

I am percectly happy as I am, a male, but with most of the charateristics, and living as a female.  

My wife are keen to join the church, but I am not sure that I could, if I was restricted in any way.

Which changes precisely nothing.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints claims to be the Kingdom of God on the earth.  It doesn't claim to be Burger King. In a kingdom you don't really get to have it your way.

The question that lies with you (and only you can answer it) is do you believe the Church's claim is true? Your actions should be guided by your personal answer to that question

As far as I can tell, the Church Handbook of Instructions (a two-volume set of handbooks that sets out Church policy and procedure) doesn't specifically address people with the anatomy of one gender who have not been surgically altered but still choose to live as a person of the other gender--I think you'd have to run that one by your bishop. 

The Handbook appears to focus on "elective transsexual operations".  Handbook 1, Section 16.3.16 (2010 version), does say that if you're considering having the surgery, you cannot be baptized.  If the surgery is already a done deal you may be baptized only with First Presidency approval (after an interview with your mission president); but thereafter you will not be issued a temple recommend or ordained to the priesthood. 

It could well be that the Church is waiting for further light and knowledge on this issue, and that the restrictions for transsexual members might be somewhat modified--or at least clarified--down the road.  But for now, if you pursue baptism and membership in the LDS Church, that's the road you'll have to walk.  I still believe it would be worth it for you, in the long run--but there's no denying that it's a difficult path.

As far as I can tell, the Church Handbook of Instructions (a two-volume set of handbooks that sets out Church policy and procedure) doesn't specifically address people with the anatomy of one gender who have not been surgically altered but still choose to live as a person of the other gender

That's because, and I know you sort of already said this, it didn't need to, because it is only now trendy to push this sort of thing. When the last Handbook updates were made I suspect no one was clamoring to attend Elders Quorum in a dress.

Thanks for all the comments that all of you have made.  My wife and I have found out on the web, that members of the Church should not smoke or drink, we have already on that course, and have now very close to giving both of those habits up.  In addition we also found that females should dress modestly.  We have both changed some of our wardrobe to do that.  

After praying carefully, we have decided that we will be looking at getting missionaries to visit us at our home, and to start  attending Church, which we are now looking forward to doing.  What will happen after that could depend on how it goes, and the reaction that we get from members.