What to give to ladies I visit teach at Xmas

Sunday21

Yes I know I am jumping the gun here but ...what do you give the ladies you visit teach for Xmas? Last year I gave religious stationary for their own visiting teaching. They were not impressed. I don't bake so no cookies. The only things I can think of are calendars and nice soap. They give me nice trinkets from far away temples, which I do not visit, there are no lds stores here. They also give baked goods. Any ideas?

I can't imagine producing a baked good that anyone would actually eat! They do make nice tins of deluxe biscuits, Belgian chocolate, for Xmas. There are also upscale chocolates. I could give these and they could be distributed at family gatherings or even regifted. Gifts bought expressly for regifting are handy at the holidays in case someone drops in. I could also get those chocolate treats in fun shapes like purses. (I wish there was a chocolate salt lake temple! Imagine chewing on a spire!) Thanks for the ideas!

I like giving Christmas Ornaments - usually a handmade one.  One year I made it out of oak twigs and acorn that dropped off the tree in the park.  I baked the acorn and twigs to kill off any bugs and then I got a 3x4 piece of remnant wood, stuck a nativity picture out of google printed on 3x4 photo paper to it, and put thick clear plastic on top and glued the twigs to the edges to frame it and glued acorns on the corners.  I hand-wrote the year on the bottom twig with sharpie.  Then glued a ribbon to hold it up to the tree.  It was easy to make and seemed like they appreciated it.

But then, my VT route are impressed with anything I give.  They're happy with a snippet of the VT message printed on photo paper and stuck with a little magnet and I've seen them on their fridge for a while.  I made these when I was in a big hurry and only had 5 minutes to spare... they're even happy with just me handing out a print out of the VT message with my personal comments hand-written on the margins.  They're really awesome women.

I can't imagine producing a baked good that anyone would actually eat! They do make nice tins of deluxe biscuits, Belgian chocolate, for Xmas. There are also upscale chocolates. I could give these and they could be distributed at family gatherings or even regifted. Gifts bought expressly for regifting are handy at the holidays in case someone drops in. I could also get those chocolate treats in fun shapes like purses. (I wish there was a chocolate salt lake temple! Imagine chewing on a spire!) Thanks for the ideas!

Closest I could come in 2 seconds:

314_L_Temple-Molds_L.jpg

I like giving Christmas Ornaments - usually a handmade one.  One year I made it out of oak twigs and acorn that dropped off the tree in the park.  I baked the acorn and twigs to kill off any bugs and then I got a 3x4 piece of remnant wood, stuck a nativity picture out of google printed on 3x4 photo paper to it, and put thick clear plastic on top and glued the twigs to the edges to frame it and glued acorns on the corners.  I hand-wrote the year on the bottom twig with sharpie.  Then glued a ribbon to hold it up to the tree.  It was easy to make and seemed like they appreciated it.

But then, my VT route are impressed with anything I give.  They're happy with a snippet of the VT message printed on photo paper and stuck with a little magnet and I've seen them on their fridge for a while.  I made these when I was in a big hurry and only had 5 minutes to spare... they're even happy with just me handing out a print out of the VT message with my personal comments hand-written on the margins.  They're really awesome women.

Do you have a picture? It sounds really pretty....would love to see one.

Do you have a picture? It sounds really pretty....would love to see one.

Ohh... I would love to put up a picture... they're in the Christmas box in the attic.  I'll dig it out when I get a chance.

I did some googling and I found this which is close to what I made.  I didn't do the varnish and didn't do the moss.  Just the natural/unglazed twigs and acorns:

twig+ornament.jpg

I've given tins of Danish butter cookies - something that the family can eat and (at least here) is only sold during the holidays, so it's kinda special, even if it isn't expensive.

I'm with you on the baking. I'm actually pretty decent, but these Mormon women out here make there own freakin' CANDY! I can't compete. I get the cookies, or a small Godiva box, or maybe a scented candle and call it a day.

- a poinsettia with a ribbon tied around it (can find at Lowes, Home Depot for $1 on Black Friday)

- a thought book with different quotes and recipes (saw them at the dollar store)

- a taper candle with a scripture advent (check google)

- handmade cards or tags tied with a ribbon

- snowman soup (hot chocolate, marshmallows, candy cane in a cellophane bag) with poem (love google!)

- a small tin with dried fruit or nuts (healthier than sweets in case some are watching their weight)

- a poinsettia with a ribbon tied around it (can find at Lowes, Home Depot for $1 on Black Friday)

- a thought book with different quotes and recipes (saw them at the dollar store)

- a taper candle with a scripture advent (check google)

- handmade cards or tags tied with a ribbon

- snowman soup (hot chocolate, marshmallows, candy cane in a cellophane bag) with poem (love google!)

- a small tin with dried fruit or nuts (healthier than sweets in case some are watching their weight)

Welcome back to you.  :)

Some of the things I've given or received in the past:

Fancy soaps

Holiday kitchen dish towels

Candles

Home made cookies, candies, donuts, etc.

Popcorn with a recipe booklet for different seasonings/toppings for popcorn

2 liter bottle of soda pop with a fancy bow and a Christmas message

Container of gourmet hot chocolate

Mugs with hot chocolate packets

Ingredients and recipe for spiced hot apple cider

Small box of oranges or tangerines, etc.

Basket of fresh fruit tied with a pretty bow

Homemade jelly or jam, container of frozen strawberry jam

Cheese ball with crackers

Chex mix

Cookie cutters with recipe

Spiritual book

That's all I can think of right now.

I'd done cookies in a jar.  This is where you put all of the ingredients to make cookies in a mason jar..cover with some pretty Christmas fabric and attach the recipe.  The recipient will just have to provide the wet ingredients and bake.

I love getting these.  I've even gotten some for soup and other type items.