Where to eat on Conference Sunday in SLC

Wordnerd

I miss living in walking distance of a Harmon's.

Any who, I woukd personally try to prepare an easy meal ahead of time and use my vacationing eating out for Saturday (and hit the good places).

That's just me. But if you have to be in a restaurant, I see no reason to eat simply.

It seems that a lot of hotel rooms have at least a fridge and a microwave. (At least, we try to get rooms with these two amenities). One strategy we use in that situation is to go out for pizza on Saturday, buy extra, then have leftover pizza again on Sunday.

Do you have to bless the pizza again on Sunday? or does the blessing still stand?

I agree with this.  I do not eat prime rib very often.  That is eating differently than I would any other day.  I would get a prime rib on conference Sunday.....

If the OP is uncomfortable with eating out on the Sabbath, how do they reconcile staying at a hotel?  Maids work, building maintenance works, the concierge works, the receptionist in the lobby works.  They are all working because people are staying at the hotel on a Sunday.  

"May as well hang for a chicken as an egg" is perhaps a practical approach to civil law; but I'm not sure it's the best mentality to take when dealing with divine law.

Do you have to bless the pizza again on Sunday? or does the blessing still stand?

I would forego any blessing on a pizza.  It's like at a ward activity the other week when our bishop blessed the refreshments (cookies, cake, and milk) to nourish and strengthen our bodies.......   :-/

It is totally doable to avoid restaurants on the sabbath when traveling. Millions of Orthodox Jews do it on a regular basis. And that includes no actual cooking on the sabbath. I did it for years so, yes, I do speak from personal experience. And you can still eat very well.

If the OP chooses to maintain the practice of not patronizing restaurants on the sabbath while traveling, I don't see why he should be criticized for HIS choice when everyone here is all about being allowed to make THEIR choices.

It is totally doable to avoid restaurants on the sabbath when traveling. Millions of Orthodox Jews do it on a regular basis. And that includes no actual cooking on the sabbath. I did it for years so, yes, I do speak from personal experience. And you can still eat very well.

If the OP chooses to maintain the practice of not patronizing restaurants on the sabbath while traveling, I don't see why he should be criticized for HIS choice when everyone here is all about being allowed to make THEIR choices.

Personally I'm not criticizing the OP at all.  If that's what they want to do that's awesome.  I just didn't want them beating themselves up thinking they were breaking the Sabbath by eating out while vacationing.

Personally I'm not criticizing the OP at all.  If that's what they want to do that's awesome.  I just didn't want them beating themselves up thinking they were breaking the Sabbath by eating out while vacationing.

So what you are saying is that the "rules" for the sabbath are different just because you are on vacation?

So what you are saying is that the "rules" for the sabbath are different just because you are on vacation?

Oh geez...I'm not saying that at all. Sometimes it is inevitable to eat out on the Sabbath while traveling.  If you can keep from it that's awesome.  But I am not going to feel guilty if I don't have the option of an alternative.

Any more words you'd like to put in my mouth for me?

Funny how you thought people were criticizing the OP but have no problem with criticizing what you perceive to be my thoughts.

To clarify my opinions-

I consider the purpose of the travel in my decision. When we are on vacation, it is voluntary and therefore we don't eat out, etc. Traveling for work is usually required and I eat out if there are not reasonable alternatives. In my personal situation, traveling to conference is in no way a vacation. 12 hours in a van with a screaming baby and spending roughly $1000 in fuel/food/lodging to go stand two hours multiple times in a standby line to watch something that I could watch at my house is not a vacation.

I feel that traveling to conference is like traveling to the Sea of Galilee to hear the Lord. It's like traveling to hear the Prophet Joseph Smith give a revelation. It would be nice to see them on television, but it would be way better to hear them in person if you could. It's a voluntary trip, but I go so that I can feel the powerful witness of the spirit. I don't see anything wrong with stopping to pick some corn to eat. I am not saying that this is how it should be for everyone. This is just how we feel about it.

Maybe Conference should be relocated to an area with a large Seventh Day Adventist population.   :P

That would be Takoma Park and Silver Spring, MD.  I grew up near there and had Seventh Day Adventist neighbors. They have a hospital, a college, a big church, and at one time had their printing operations there.

For a look at Adventists that reminds me of LDS, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW4nZfdX-c4

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I think if it was just my husband and I we might try to make do without eating out but with the kids in tow we'll find somewhere to grab a simple quick meal in between sessions.

Loved your comment Str8Shooter - thats exactly how I feel, it's less vacation (although we are excited to go!) and more an opportunity to strengthen our testimonies as a family. We are undertaking a long drive in order to have a chance to see the talks in person, and feel the Spirit.

Sounds like you are equally far away - we live in Calgary, Alberta, I've heard conference causes a mini-exodus at the Canada to US border crossing because there are so many of us in Southern Alberta, but I've actually never been to SLC before.