heavenly mother...

tweetyt03

Is her name too sacred? Or is it because there's probably more than one? As to why she's never talked about? Either way, the silence we have toward her makes me grieve as a mother. If i was ever ignored by my children i couldn't imagine the pain I'd feel. & this also makes me dread having my own spirit children & creating worlds. I don't wanna be treated like her.

A part of me has always liked to pretend that the holy spirit is her...As there's no better comforter than mother...but i don't know that...

Is her name too sacred? Or is it because there's probably more than one? As to why she's never talked about? Either way, the silence we have toward her makes me grieve as a mother. If i was ever ignored by my children i couldn't imagine the pain I'd feel. & this also makes me dread having my own spirit children & creating worlds. I don't wanna be treated like her.

You're applying mortal sentimentality on to unknowable things of the eternities. How about instead we trust God and what He has chosen to reveal, how He has commanded us to pray and worship, and not impose our own, ridiculously limited human viewpoints on to sacred things? Just a suggestion. ;)

A part of me has always liked to pretend that the holy spirit is her...As there's no better comforter than mother...but i don't know that...

This has been specifically declared non-doctrinal on many, many occasions.  To the point of excommunications.

We must be careful not apply worldly desires to eternal things.  As you are experiencing now, you are grieving over something that you don't understand (nobody does as details of the Heavenly Mother has not yet been revealed) by applying your mortal (and may be deemed prideful) desire over eternal principles... it's putting unnecessary negativity over God's perfect plan instead of exercising faith in His wisdom.

Edited by anatess

I can understand that, to some degree (but not entirely; being male myself).  I don't know why things are the way they are.  I don't think anyone does.  (And note that "I don't know" doesn't necessarily mean "what we're doing is wrong"; it just means "I don't know".)

My favorite explanation (and note I'm not saying I think it's true, just that I happen to get a kick out of it) is that Heavenly Mother works out of the home while Heavenly Father is a full-time, stay-at-home parent.  ;)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

My favorite explanation (and note I'm not saying I think it's true, necessarily; just that I happen to get a kick out of it) is that Heavenly Mother works out of the home while Heavenly Father is a full-time, stay-at-home parent.  ;)

That idea is contingent on what's considered "home" though. :)

The way it was taught to me is that we don't talk about Her much because Her name is extremely sacred, and Heavenly Father does not want Her name dragged through the mud and abused like His is. Therefore it is out of great respect and reverence that we spare Her name. She understands this, so She is not hurt because we don't use Her name much.

Beyond this, I would venture to say that She is well-pleased that we respect Her so very much. What I do is reverently ask Heavenly Father during private prayer that He would make known to Her my great love for her. Some would say that's corny, but it comforts me.

I see no reason to be sorrowful about the Church not mentioning Her much. She feels our devoted love, just like Heavenly Father does.

Edited by Silhouette

My favorite explanation (and note I'm not saying I think it's true, just that I happen to get a kick out of it) is that Heavenly Mother works out of the home while Heavenly Father is a full-time, stay-at-home parent.  ;)

That would certainly explain the whole angry-God-of-the-Old-Testament thing.

Is her name too sacred? 

No more sacred than God's

Or is it because there's probably more than one? 

There's really not enough information one way or the other to do more than speculate.  But any speculation is an extrapolation likely based on flawed assumptions, so it's probably best just to steer away from that.

Either way, the silence we have toward her makes me grieve as a mother. If i was ever ignored by my children i couldn't imagine the pain I'd feel. & this also makes me dread having my own spirit children & creating worlds. I don't wanna be treated like her.

I can understand this, and I can grieve with you.  I agree that there would be great value in learning more about her and understanding more about the realms existing beyond mortality.  The reality is, we don't have the information.  The reasons for that could vary all the way from sexism to this-is-the-Lord's-intent-ism.  I suspect the truth is a conglomeration of those extremes.

Your empathy is admirable.  However, a differing viewpoint (my viewpoint) is that she feels less sadness that her children (us) don't acknowledge her than she does about the way we treat each other.  

Not to disappoint you, but I think there's very little in the canonical record to justify such a belief.  It's possible, but I would consider it one of the lesser likely possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not too late for th party on this one, but...

It's not that we don't talk about her, it's not God doesn't talk about her. We have hundreds, even thousands of revelations, but not one has been about heavenly mother. Everything that we "know" about her is inference, speculation, or wishful thinking. It would be wildly inappropriate to teach on a topic that God has not spoken on.