Why Is Alcohol Forbidden When Wine Is Recommended To Timothy In The Nt

Holly3278

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of possible reasons but that is why we have ongoing revelation because life changes. 400 years ago in Britain it was actually safer to drink Ale than drink from a water supply in the cities. We have been told in 2007 its not good for us so thats the law we follow. If we were still living the Law of Moses like in the Old Testament our food would need to be Kosher but revelation in the New Testament took that away

Charley

There are ten different Hebrew words and three different Greek words I know of that are translated as "wine" in the KJV.

Hebrew contenders are below followed by their reference number in Strong's Concordance:

1. yahyin (effervesce, ferment) H3196

2. teeroshe (fresh grape juice) H8492

3. shaykhar (intoxicant, liquor) H7941

4. yehkeb (wine-fat, winepress) H3342

5. khamar (fermenting; pure, red wine) H2562

6. gath (vat for holding grapes in pressing) H1660

7. mamsawkh (wine mixed with water or spice) H4469

8. sobeh (drink, drunken, wine) H5435

9. awsees (fresh grape juice; new, sweet; just trodden) H6071

10. aynah (ripe grape) H6025

Greek words are:

1. oinos (wine) G3631

2. glyookos (fresh sweet juice) G1098

3. paroynos (tippling; a drunk) G3943

So "wine" can refer to grape juice or fermented grape juice, i.e. liquor. Depends on the word being used. In NT times, fermented grape juice (wine) was used. Jesus speaks of wine-skins bursting, which implies fermentation. On the day of Pentecost, the apostles are accused of being drunk with wine when the Holy Ghost comes upon them. Wine was known and used in NT times.

Now, as for why Timothy was supposed to drink wine and we aren't...I think God wants us to be horribly conflicted, confused, uncertain and worried about the past instead of focusing on the standards applicable today. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. I think the issue is kinda' silly, but a fair question to ask nonetheless.

Why does the Word of Wisdom forbid us to drink alcohol when in the New Testament, wine was recommended to Timothy because of his stomach problems?

1 Timothy 5:23 KJV Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

IMH non-LDS Opinion--the Timothy passage indicates that we can take prescribed medicine, even if it contains some alcohol. :sparklygrin:

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>

Why does the Word of Wisdom forbid us to drink alcohol when in the New Testament, wine was recommended to Timothy because of his stomach problems?

1 Timothy 5:23 KJV Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

IMH non-LDS Opinion--the Timothy passage indicates that we can take prescribed medicine, even if it contains some alcohol. :sparklygrin: Well PC...that is my humble LDS opinion!! I take NyQuil...it helps me sleep when I am sick. Jesus said to take it for his stomic's sake...for MEDICINAL purposes....

...another silly "tit for tat" question...either way, not going to affect my salvation. :closedeyes:

Guest Yediyd

yes, the wine is fermented...Jesus's first miracle was turning water into wine...I don't believe that was grape juice...nope, not at a wedding!! Jesus was not a wine bibber, but come on, now!!! Is it really necessary to compare the customs of two completely different Ara's???

...I'll just trust the word of wisdom, and when I need NyQuil...I will take it..."for my stomic's sake!!!"

Actually the Word of Wisdom doesn't forbid it - saying that it's alright to use in Sacrament Meeting.

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both drank alcohol on occassion, as did other Brethren . In 1901 the apostle Brigham Young Jr thought that the Word of Wisdom ought not apply to Dannish Beer.

and that has to do with.............................. what? Sorry, ya totally lost me there.

The point is that the OP said that the WoW forbade alcohol. JS on occasion drank alcohol, as did other early Church authorities. They didn't view the WoW as a strict prohibition on it.

Guest Yediyd

Hold on here...are you guys telling me that strong drink is OK in moderation? I don't even like alcohol...but I sure miss my coffee!! I just want G-d to let me have my coffee back...he can keep the alcohol!!!! :(

...Honestly, I love this church...but I am so sorry that I will never drink coffee again, that kills me...I LOVE coffee!!!! I had my own blend that I mixed myself at my house and I got compliments on my coffee by everyone who tried it....Baptism was easy, tithing...no problem, chastity...OK...tough, but doable...but this ban on coffee has been TOUGH on me!!! :(

Obedience to the WoW now means abstinence, not moderation.

When the Lord first gave the revelation, the focus was on moderation. If I recall correctly, Brigham Young had a glass of sherry every day for the last week or so of his life due to his being ill.

However, in the early 1900's (I forget the exact year, something like 1914), the First Presidency stopped drinking wine in their sacrament meetings in the SLC Temple, and made abstinence from alcohol, coffee, etc... a requirement for temple attendance. Apparently the Lord was ready for us to live it to the fullest, having given the Church nearly 75 years to reign in their addictions and habits.

Guest Yediyd

Obedience to the WoW now means abstinence, not moderation.

When the Lord first gave the revelation, the focus was on moderation. If I recall correctly, Brigham Young had a glass of sherry every day for the last week or so of his life due to his being ill.

However, in the early 1900's (I forget the exact year, something like 1914), the First Presidency stopped drinking wine in their sacrament meetings in the SLC Temple, and made abstinence from alcohol, coffee, etc... a requirement for temple attendance. Apparently the Lord was ready for us to live it to the fullest, having given the Church nearly 75 years to reign in their addictions and habits.

:(

Who am I to argue with the lord? I guess I am still bound to that addiction! I haven't had any coffee in over a year...I slipped once last year and had two cups...but I have been good since....

...I miss my coffee :(

<div class='quotemain'> Obedience to the WoW now means abstinence, not moderation.

Who am I to argue with the lord? I guess I am still bound to that addiction! I haven't had any coffee in over a year...I slipped once last year and had two cups...but I have been good since....

My best friend is gay he says it would be easier to give up men than tea if he got baptised lol

<div class='quotemain'> Obedience to the WoW now means abstinence, not moderation.

Of course we all are nobody to argue with the Lord - however the Lord is silent on what he thinks of the Word of Wisdom. The question is who are we to argue with General Authorities... now that's a different question.

Besides which, I don't think that there was ever a revelation that the "Word or Wisdom" was no longer a word of wisdom but intead was now a commandment, nor a revelation that we not must interpret moderation as complete abstinence.

Biblical wine was basically apple juice or grape juice. If there was any alchohol it wasnt on purpose.

Winebibber was not a good term, as it means a drunkard. A common misconception within the church (especially the youth) is that Jesus drank grape juice, so that they don't have to argue with other churches that use these scriptures against us regarding drinking wine or alcohol.

In the NT times, as well as the OT times, it was okay to drink. Now, it isn't. It is that simple. Revelation is given to us to help us in the days we are living in. Also, if I remember right, the Lord told Joseph to beware of conspiring men, so they made their own wine for a while.

Jesus drank wine, just like others do today. We cannot, because a Prophet of God was told we should not do it.