Pastors Now Legally Banned From Calling Gay Lifestyle “Sinful”…

Average Joe

Guest MormonGator

How so? The pastors are legally prohibited from telling the adolescents that homosexuality is wrong. That is fact. The link you provided makes that clear.

Nope.Completely different ballgame. That was one isolated incident. It's not part of the Kentucky RSAs and the pastor isn't in jail. If it was illegal, he would be.

I didn't see the Kentucky house of representatives vote on it, neither did their state senate. You didn't either. Nor did their governor sign a law saying "Pastors are legally banned from calling the gay lifestyle sinful"  If it was illegal and he broke the law, he would be prosecuted. He wasn't.  He was fired. Huge difference.

Most pastors will correctly say that homosexuality is sinful. Again, if it they were "legally banned" like the title of the thread says, there would be evidence of the law being brought to session, debated on by both houses, passed and signed by the governor.  Can you give the exact name of the bill, along with the number and dates that it was debated and signed? 

This story just fails a basic very logic test. Again, if they were "legally barred" then there would be consequences for them breaking the law, like mass incarceration. You are, of course, free to believe whatever you want too, but it just isn't happening. 

Edited by MormonGator

Nope.Completely different ballgame. That was one isolated incident. It's not part of the Kentucky RSAs and the pastor isn't in jail. If it was illegal, he would be.

I didn't see the Kentucky house of representatives vote on it, neither did their state senate. You didn't either. Nor did their governor sign a law saying "Pastors are legally banned from calling the gay lifestyle sinful"  If it was illegal and he broke the law, he would be prosecuted. He wasn't.  He was fired. Huge difference.

Most pastors will correctly say that homosexuality is sinful. Again, if it they were "legally banned" like the title of the thread says, there would be mass incarceration. There isn't.   

This story just fails a basic very logic test. Again, if they were "legally barred" then there would be consequences for them breaking the law, like mass incarceration. You are, of course, free to believe whatever you want too, but it just isn't happening. 

Not all laws call for anyone to be incarcerated if they are broken. For example it is illegal to ride a bicycle after dark without lights, but no one gets sent to prison for it.

It is also illegal for an employer to dismiss a long established employee without giving them suitable notice (unless of course misconduct can be proven). When have you ever heard of an employer being imprisoned for that? No - the matter would be dealt with by an employment tribunal, which would have no power to send anyone to jail.

There are many different sorts of "illegal", and not all of them call for arrests and imprisonments.

Guest MormonGator

Not all laws call for anyone to be incarcerated if they are broken. For example it is illegal to ride a bicycle after dark without lights, but no one gets sent to prison for it.

It is also illegal for an employer to dismiss a long established employee without giving them suitable notice (unless of course misconduct can be proven). When have you ever heard of an employer being imprisoned for that? No - the matter would be dealt with by an employment tribunal, which would have no power to send anyone to jail.

There are many different sorts of "illegal", and not all of them call for arrests and imprisonments.

Correct, but all laws are public record. I know of no law in the state of Kentucky that says "Pastors are now legally banned from calling gay lifestyles sinful" If you do, please show me which law it is in the Kentucky Revised Statutes-where is it? Can you show me the bill the Kentucky state house debated and voted on that says the same?

Look, I'm not wild about the politically correct society we live in either but that doesn't mean I believe everything I read on the internet. 

Edited by MormonGator

Correct, but all laws are public record. I know of no law in the state of Kentucky that says "Pastors are now legally banned from calling gay lifestyles sinful" If you do, please show me which law it is in the Kentucky Revised Statutes-where is it? Can you show me the bill the Kentucky state house debated and voted on that says the same?

Look, I'm not wild about the politically correct society we live in either but that doesn't mean I believe everything I read on the internet. 

All I know about Kentucky is Colonel Sanders. (Oh - and I believe there's something called the "Kentucky Derby" too - but that's about it.) So as for Kentucky laws banning-pastors-from calling-the gay-lifestyle-sinful I have no idea. But I agree its rather doubtful.

In fact I have no problem at all with that part of your post. (Except perhaps your use of the word "prosecution" - that is normally reserved for criminal cases, and not all laws are "criminal" laws.) It's paragraphs 1, 3 and 4 I take issue with.

P.S. I've just thought of one more thing: Jack Daniels Kentucky Bourbon. (Not that that's at all relevant to what we're talking about here.)

P.P.S. Colonel Saunders wasn't a real colonel (as in the army). "Colonel" is an honorary title given to leading citizens of Kentucky. "Colonel" Sanders was no more a colonel than "Sir" Isaac Newton was a knight in shining armour. So I guess that's another thing I do know about Kentucky. (And again this is not really relevant - my apologies.)

Edited by Jamie123

Guest MormonGator

In fact I have no problem at all with that part of your post. (Except perhaps your use of the word "prosecution" - that is normally reserved for criminal cases, and not all laws are "criminal" laws.) It's paragraphs 1, 3 and 4 I take issue with.

Thank you my friend. 

Kentucky is a gorgeous state. It also has some great college basketball! 

So why hire ministers in the first place?

In reality, the ministers are volunteers.  Incarcerated individuals have their religious practice accommodated through the use of chaplains, contractors (part-time paid clergy), volunteers, and through the provision of religious materials.  In this case, it appears that the volunteers are unpaid.  So, they are saving the state and taxpayers money.  Correctional systems tend to prohibit racist, violent, or anti-government type teachings.  If they move to prohibiting teaching about LBGT, then it may be that the actual violation is not upholding chastity but rather targeting other groups (i.e. LBGT inmates).  In a prison setting, where many inmates are immature, and can interpret religion to extremes, if the volunteer leader says, "Gays are sinners.  In the Old Testament they could be stoned to death." an unstable prisoner could interpret that as permission to beat up LBGT folks.  So, I'd exercise cautionerpreting this story.

Mormon gator

A thing that is bad is bad.  It matters not if it's only 87% bad as opposed to 93% bad. 

Going to jail is bad, for political correctness crimes, and for believing in and exercising your religion.  But also bad is losing your job, or in the case of the Navy his job and his pension which he was one year short of, after 19 years of military service.

Bad is bad.

Period.

dc

Guest MormonGator

Mormon gator

A thing that is bad is bad.  It matters not if it's only 87% bad as opposed to 93% bad. 

Going to jail is bad, for political correctness crimes, and for believing in and exercising your religion.  But also bad is losing your job, or in the case of the Navy his job and his pension which he was one year short of, after 19 years of military service.

Bad is bad.

Period.

dc

Oh, I agree bad is bad. The world is too politicaly correct now and refuses to condemn sinful behavior.  Totally agree. 

Mormon gator

Bad is bad.

Period.

dc

What if a thing were only 49% bad?

Also, it could be confusing saying you're going to eat at UFC. 

Kind of like going to church or a baptism at a Steak Center.

When I was a kid and the TV show CHiPs was a thing, we used to go around on our bikes playing UHPs.

Your comment just reminded me of that.