Favorite (nonLDS) Music

cdowis

This is one of my favorites from Loreena McKennitt:

https://youtu.be/JsNJuhBfbPg

Disclaimer: the video is kind of strange. All her videos are, she's a slightly odd woman but she has heaps of talent. 

I believe that she is singing in the tradition of the Gaelic or Celtic folk songs.  Very rich with the English culture and history.

https://youtu.be/4iD3NsM1wOE

https://youtu.be/SdFHGFkyew4

Edited by cdowis

Those are great songs, I am quite a fan of the world/folk music genre especially (I should say only) when it features real musical instruments and natural singing voices. 

I have the good fortune of being able to attend the Longs Peak Scottish-Irish Highland Festival in a couple of weeks in Colorado. There are always a lot of amazing musicians and artists there - I hope to come away with several new collections of music. I am very much forward to celebrating my heritage there (Scottish by birth, Irish by marriage!) My sister's favorite band that plays there is Albannach. Very energizing music, she actually plays it when she weightlifts. 

https://youtu.be/l0mypcwk2M4

Edited by char713

Can't say I'm that familiar with this particular style of music, and its not to my particular taste but clearly it requires a whole different kind of musicality to pull off.

I couldn't help laughing at the judges, tripping over themselves to praise a style of music which they probably had no prior knowledge of as "the best Mongolia has to offer." How do they know that, exactly? How about just, "wow I'd never heard that style before, I can see that it takes a particular kind of talent to make it work, and to my untrained ear it sounds as if you put a lot of work into your music, so thank you." But they have to appear to be experts of course.

...Disclaimer: the video is kind of strange. All her videos are, she's a slightly odd woman but she has heaps of talent. Also check out her songs The Highwayman, The Mummer's Dance, and the Lady of Shallot. And her christmas album is quite wonderful too. 

A particular aspect (of music) which I find fascinating is that the same melody can have such a profoundly different impact on different listeners.  I've been told by many professionals that it's the way music is supposed to be.  Pick a composition and identify what images and thoughts it evokes.  If you can learn what the original composer had in mind it is often astounding how different it might be--this is often the case with pieces that have become popularized by movies or television shows, too.  YouTube Videos often demonstrate this since they contain images (from the mind of the person who posted the video) that are very often completely different than what my own mind conjures with a given musical piece. I preferred to close my eyes as I listened to some of the pieces shared in this thread. It made me grin to go back and watch the video itself afterward. 

I'm not particularly loyal to any genre, musician, or band.

What I listen to greatly depends on what I'm doing. When in my car, my daughter and I listen to a lot of pop, basically the top-of-the-charts stuff (which spans a variety of genres, surprisingly). When I'm at home working on projects, I'll listen to Disney soundtracks and classical music. When I'm gearing up for a date with my husband or girls' night out, I listen to mostly pop/hip hop.

I'm really, really liking a group called Milk Carton Kids right now. They're very folksy. It's mellow music for sure, but they are great musicians and wickedly funny, if you watch their performances. I'm partial to the one at Lincoln Center: 

The story is that the famous Irish poet Thomas Moore, returning from war, found his wife Bessy locked away in her room, unwilling to see him. Bessy was an actress by trade, and had contracted smallpox. Though she had survived, her face was scarred, and she was humiliated and believed herself unlovable. Moore is supposed to have written her a poem and sung it to her through the closed door, using a well-known Irish melody.

Believe me, if all those endearing young charms

That I gaze on so fondly today...etc.

You've gotta love these versions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1rXcm2mbKI

Edited by Jamie123

A particular aspect (of music) which I find fascinating is that the same melody can have such a profoundly different impact on different listeners.  I've been told by many professionals that it's the way music is supposed to be.  Pick a composition and identify what images and thoughts it evokes.  If you can learn what the original composer had in mind it is often astounding how different it might be--this is often the case with pieces that have become popularized by movies or television shows, too.  YouTube Videos often demonstrate this since they contain images (from the mind of the person who posted the video) that are very often completely different than what my own mind conjures with a given musical piece. I preferred to close my eyes as I listened to some of the pieces shared in this thread. It made me grin to go back and watch the video itself afterward. 

Music is so dependent on mood. I often times can hear something I used to love and feel nothing and then other times hear it and it really touches me. 

and then there's this..chills every time..don't understand a word though

Others won't get it at all. It's what makes music so fascinating.

My wife and children are convinced that I'm from another planet because I don't like music. 

Music is just noise to me.

All of it.

Oh, I have some favorite hymns, but they’re favorites because of the lyrics rather than the music.

I've never in my life owned any sort of music player (cassette, CD, MP3---nothing)

I haven't a single song on my phone or my tablet or my laptop, and when I turn on a radio it gets tuned to a talk or news station or it goes off.

Last fall I attended the Sterling Scholar competition in southern Utah, and I honestly thought if I had to sit through one more violin recital I'd go mad. If there is a more annoying instrument than a violin I don't know what it would be? Fingernails on a chalkboard are more pleasant to me.

Maybe I should qualify by saying I don't like man-made music, because music made by a Meadow Lark, a Common Loon, a Swainson's Thrush, etc. is music to my ears, and I could listen to that kind all day long.

"The Piano Guys" play a variety of musical pieces. Some are religious and others not, but their style is delightful. One can find them on YouTube. I have personal favorites, but I find most all their presentations to be moving and uplifting.

This just blows me away.

https://youtu.be/8OelvnFLC7U

Be sure to listen to this with someone else.

I tend to lean towards the nonlyrical variety...

New age such as Manheim Steamroller, David Arkenstone, Peter Maunu, peter Buffett, Suziane Ciani, enya, Adiemus, ray Lynch.

Probably my favorite of these would be

followed very closely by

I love Many soundtracks (from games, movies, and stage productions)

John Williams, Hans Zimmer, goldsmith, Cliff Eidelman, Enrio Moricone, Henry Mancini, James Horner

probably my fave of those would be the piece

by Toto for the movie "Dune"

of the lyrical thats not religious

Old Rock

Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, King Crimson, Toto, yes, Journey, Led Zeppelin, Emerson lake and Palmer, Phil Collins,

World/folk influence

Loreena Mckennitt, Sukay/Savia Andina, Celtic Woman

right now my current fave earworm of the day has been Timothy Seal's

this is rather actually a quite mellow variety for themost of it and tends to be more spacey and slower paced with a few actiony parts interspersed throughout it..... I almost cried when i came across this guy and his stuff

>.>

And lots of others.

Edited by Blackmarch

I tend to lean towards the nonlyrical variety...

New age such as Manheim Steamroller, David Arkenstone, Peter Maunu, peter Buffett, Suziane Ciani, enya, Adiemus, ray Lynch.

Probably my favorite of these would be

followed very closely by

I love Many soundtracks (from games, movies, and stage productions)

John Williams, Hans Zimmer, goldsmith, Cliff Eidelman, Enrio Moricone, Henry Mancini, James Horner

probably my fave of those would be the piece

by Toto for the movie "Dune"

of the lyrical thats not religious

Old Rock

Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, King Crimson, Toto, yes, Journey, Led Zeppelin, Emerson lake and Palmer, Phil Collins,

World/folk influence

Loreena Mckennitt, Sukay/Savia Andina, Celtic Woman

right now my current fave earworm of the day has been Timothy Seal's

this is rather actually a quite mellow variety for themost of it and tends to be more spacey and slower paced with a few actiony parts interspersed throughout it..... I almost cried when i came across this guy and his stuff

>.>

And lots of others.

Great picks!

Speaking of video game music My favourite is final fantasy 3 (or six) for music. Your post also reminded me of an old time feel-good tune I've not heard in a long time... somehow your list brought me memories of Mason Williams - Classical Gas. 

Great picks!

Speaking of video game music My favourite is final fantasy 3 (or six) for music. Your post also reminded me of an old time feel-good tune I've not heard in a long time... somehow your list brought me memories of Mason Williams - Classical Gas. 

I love Classical Gas! (especially the

of it XD). Final fantasy has some really good pieces :D.