How to Love Like God

20 hours ago, letmeoff said:
22 hours ago, LeSellers said:

Kolob is real. Why is that a problem?

Satan is not "Jesus spirit [sic] brother". They were, at one point, but are no longer: Satan divorced himself from the family of God: he has no status in our family any more. And, again, what's the problem?

As I interpret it, "Jehovah" is the family name of God: The Father is Jehovah, the Son is Jehovah, the Holy Ghost, too, is Jehovah. And, where is the problem?

Against your nefarious implication, I counter that your version of God isn't Jesus' Father at all. I'll take a real Father over a Father-in-title-only every day.

Depending on who you are talking about, yes, they lied to you. The spirit of anti-Mormonism is falsehood, distortions, fabrications, and outright lies.

In my six decades of researching religion, I have never met an anti-Mormon who didn't resort to one or more of the above, typically, all of them, and more besides.

Further:
A truth that's told with bad intent
Beats all the lies you can invent

William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

Lehi

God got swallowed whole once I met life, who needs a God when life appears.

How about answering the questions?

You imply that there something wrong with Kolob, with the fact of Jesus being a spiritual Son of God, and with His being the Son of God in the flesh, but don't respond when we answer. This is ethically wrong.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

25 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

How about answering the questions?

You imply that there something wrong with Kolob, with the fact of Jesus being a spiritual Son of God, and with His being the Son of God in the flesh, but don't respond when we answer. This is ethically wrong.

Lehi

No, I find nothing wrong with kolob. I was stating It's important to why Jesus is the God of this universe. And who Satan is to him, and who Jehovah is.

Isn't Jesus one of Gods spirit children and our brother, didn't we all live with him and satan on kolob as spirit children?

22 minutes ago, letmeoff said:

No, I find nothing wrong with kolob. I was stating It's important to why Jesus is the God of this universe. And who Satan is to him, and who Jehovah is.

Isn't Jesus one of Gods spirit children and our brother, didn't we all live with him and satan on kolob as spirit children?

If you read the text at the links I provided (none of the text is very long), it should clear up for you what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches about these individuals.  You can follow scripture links as you wish.

I didn't look up Kolob - you could, if you wish.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

If you read the text at the links I provided (none of the text is very long), it should clear up for you what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches about these individuals.  You can follow scripture links as you wish.

I didn't look up Kolob - you could, if you wish.

Ok, I'll look that over.

8 hours ago, letmeoff said:

This is a bit like saying Americans are not Indians.

Forgive me for not knowing a lot.  I'm learning.  I think that the answer to the question "How to love like God" might be rooted in the scripture:  Greater Love hath no MAN than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends.  I'm probably paraphrasing.  I suppose if we are to love like God that we would do exactly what Jesus did.  To love like God is to give up, even one's life.

I know he didn't say, "Greater love hath no god than this".  But I kinda get his drift.  I wonder what Jesus meant for us to pick up our cross daily and follow him.  Follow him where?  The only place I know that you end up when you have a cross like that is:  you're gonna die.  Not an easy death either.

I suppose there is no greater love, when you have given your all, even your life. 

I'm not sure how I missed my own string growing like this.  There are some great thoughts here.  I especially like the idea of love motivating me to introduce, or draw, people to Christ (by his Spirit, of course).  Also, Takawi reminds us of how hard it is to love.  It can mean death.  Finally, it is super-truth that we do not have to like the people we love.

4 hours ago, NightSG said:

There's something wrong with anywhere there's not a Whataburger.

The scriptures say that there will be every good thing in heaven.

Lehi

19 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

I'm not sure how I missed my own string growing like this.  There are some great thoughts here.  I especially like the idea of love motivating me to introduce, or draw, people to Christ (by his Spirit, of course).  Also, Takawi reminds us of how hard it is to love.  It can mean death.  Finally, it is super-truth that we do not have to like the people we love.

Sorry I can't love somebody with a gun (Death) to my head.

21 hours ago, Takawi said:

Forgive me for not knowing a lot.  I'm learning.  I think that the answer to the question "How to love like God" might be rooted in the scripture:  Greater Love hath no MAN than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends.  I'm probably paraphrasing.  I suppose if we are to love like God that we would do exactly what Jesus did.  To love like God is to give up, even one's life.

I know he didn't say, "Greater love hath no god than this".  But I kinda get his drift.  I wonder what Jesus meant for us to pick up our cross daily and follow him.  Follow him where?  The only place I know that you end up when you have a cross like that is:  you're gonna die.  Not an easy death either.

I suppose there is no greater love, when you have given your all, even your life. 

OK then, you better start raising the dead (Because Jesus did that) and cure the sick (Because Jesus did that) and Walk on water (Because Jesus did that) and Heal the blind (Because Jesus did that) and feed thousands with a few fish and some bread (Because Jesus did that) and turn water in to wine (Because Jesus did that too)

But you can't use science to do what Jesus did (Because Jesus didn't do that)

24 minutes ago, letmeoff said:
1 hour ago, LeSellers said:

The scriptures say that there will be every good thing in heaven.

Then I don't desire to be there thankyou.

I'm a little lost. Are you saying you'd prefer to have every evil thing in heaven?

Lehi

16 minutes ago, letmeoff said:

you can't use science to do what Jesus did (Because Jesus didn't do that)

Well, no, that's not accurate: He did use science, but it's science we don't understand, and may never understand until He explains it to us.

I think it was in Arthur Clark's 2001, a Space Odyssey, that we find a truth all should recognize: any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Jesus' use of advanced science and technologies looks, to us, like magic, but it is only the application of properties of His universe that we do not, and perhaps cannot, understand: to us, it is "magic".

Lehi

35 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Well, no, that's not accurate: He did use science, but it's science we don't understand, and may never understand until He explains it to us.

I think it was in Arthur Clark's 2001, a Space Odyssey, that we find a truth all should recognize: any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Jesus' use of advanced science and technologies looks, to us, like magic, but it is only the application of properties of His universe that we do not, and perhaps cannot, understand: to us, it is "magic".

Lehi

This is what atheists call " Moving the goal post. " Just so it appears I'm not kicking a field goal.

47 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

I think it was in Arthur Clark's 2001, a Space Odyssey, that we find a truth all should recognize: any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Or maybe sufficiently primitive magic just looks a lot like technology.  :P

1 hour ago, letmeoff said:

This is what atheists call " Moving the goal post. " Just so it appears I'm not kicking a field goal.

That's only when it suits them.  Plenty of atheists will also say that the only reason primitives believed in God or "the gods" was that they had no basis upon which to understand even current technology, or even natural phenomena like lightning.

How would you explain a radio to a caveman?  They will understand it is "magic".  This is not an argument theists make.  It's an argument atheists make to exclude God.

So, if you're going to make accusations try not to be a hypocrite about it.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, letmeoff said:

Sorry I can't love somebody with a gun (Death) to my head.

The students at Columbine HS did.  One of shooters put a gun to her head and said, "Do you still believe in Jesus?"

She did the most loving thing she could.  She said, "Yes." 

He blew her head off.

Still, her final testimony was to that shooter.  She gave her life to show him that Jesus was real.  I don't know how it affected him, but the incident inspired a Christian song, and has led many young people to either commit their lives to Jesus, or to renew and invigorate them.

OK then, you better start raising the dead (Because Jesus did that) and cure the sick (Because Jesus did that) and Walk on water (Because Jesus did that) and Heal the blind (Because Jesus did that) and feed thousands with a few fish and some bread (Because Jesus did that) and turn water in to wine (Because Jesus did that too)

But you can't use science to do what Jesus did (Because Jesus didn't do that)

Well, I would get right on that, but I'm not at that level of belief yet.  I'm still trying to sort this all out.  I want to have that belief though.   When I get to that place, I'll probably not shout about it, because it is so that the Father might be glorified, not Takawi.   John 14:11-13 says that we will do even GREATER things than Jesus.  Talk about doubling down!  

But he says that you FIRST must believe that Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in Jesus or to just believe because of the works themselves.  I'm just not there, and maybe I'm a doubting Thomas and I'll miss out because I want to see and understand how it's done, and the idea of Jesus in the Father and vice versa-- I don't even understand the semantics of the passage.  I'm not there.   It is clearly my weakness.  Even when a person wants to believe at that level, sometimes wanting isn't enough.  Perhaps it's the wrong time.  I don't know.

And as far as not using science and that Jesus didn't use science.  The idea is ludicrous.  Of course he used science, just a science you don't know yet.  And that puts you in the same boat as me, letmeoff;; you aren't at that level of belief (yet).  You better get rowing because I'm not counting on either of us walking on the water today.

11Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me—or at least believe because of the works themselves. 12Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I am doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.…

No I don't desire [good or evil things in heaven], because both end in death.

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but this makes not sense. Good is the opposite of evil in all its facets. Heaven without every good thing is, by definition, not heaven at all.

I'd be interested in understanding what leads to your conclusion.

Lehi

5 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but this makes not sense. Good is the opposite of evil in all its facets. Heaven without every good thing is, by definition, not heaven at all.

I'd be interested in understanding what leads to your conclusion.

Lehi

I think what he means is he doesn't believe there's anything beyond death because... death is the end.  So good or evil in heaven or wherever he doesn't want because he has to die first... and that's the end.