A forgotten reason to celebrate Christmas

Traveler

Allow me to apologize for not keeping up with the forum.  I will not have time to read or respond to posts through this season and will likely not even have time off to celebrate Christmas this year.

This has caused me to reflect in the few quiet moments I have this season to ponder why Christmas is important.  I do not believe this is the season of the Christ's birth.  But I have come to believe this is the perfect season for a forgotten reason to celebrate Christmas - so much so that it may be the most important reason to celebrate Christmas.  Perhaps the season of most darkness (longest night) is the perfect season to celebrate the Christ coming among men.

I would propose that a reason to celebrate Christmas is to look forward and prepare for the second coming.  Or if you will - the second Noel or the second advent.  Perhaps we ought to be looking forward to the end of oppression, war, strife, sickness and pain.  A time when saints and angles will sing together to welcome a new era of love, peace on earth and good will to men -- which is my hope for us all this season - to remember Christ will come.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a little bit of a break and would add a few more thoughts to the idea of Christmas being a celebration of looking forward to the second coming of Christ. This has been a most spiritual Christmas for me. The idea of this season of darkness is closing around us all and yet the light of Christ shining through the darkness as a beacon bringing us safely through trouble. A light that is not easily seen except that we look for it and then fix upon it as it guides us (thinking of the star guiding the wise men). Realizing that the beacon will go unnoticed by many.

Also thinking about Santa Clause (or Saint Nicolas) as a symbol of Christ – that Christmas Eve (long night of darkness) is the time that he will come. That we should hang our stockings (troubles, worries, sorrows, hopes and dreams) for him to fill with joy. That he will come when we are sleeping. That he will come and visit every home and that all will be divided between those that are naughty (disloyal to covenants) and those that are nice (loyal to covenants) and when he comes he will bring presents and gifts that will bring joy and happiness to the nice and sorrow and regret to the naughty.

I had thought that others of the forum would notice other things that celebrate the second coming and share their thoughts. I feel that it is important to make sacred our hopes and celebrations of Christmas – looking forward to a great thing that is about to come to pass.

Edited by Traveler