Member Missionary

Palerider

For the year 2015 my wife and I made a goal to attempt to become better member missionaries. We made a Family mission plan and of course put it on the fridge so we could see it each day. We would pray each day that we would have missionary experiences and that we could become better member missionaries.

We made strides in our goal and feel good about some of the things we accomplished. We both had many experiences this year and some totally caught us off guard. One of the things my wife does it take out church magazines and puts them in the waiting area of the hospital lab where she works.

The missionaries in our area stopped by a few weeks ago and gave us pass along cards for the Christmas video and challenged us to pass them out. We handed out all of them but one. We handed out 4 to our neighbors that live by us. We gave them either gifts of candy or brownies with a pass along card.

There were other things but I won't go into everything. I hope all of us can do our part and prayerfully hasten the work.

The proven best way to find people who might be interested in looking at the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to be alert to people who are interested in Family History (or, more colloquially, genealogy).

Twelve of fifteen years ago, the Oakland California Mission did a program called "The Gift of Family History" and it proved something like twice as good as other member referrals, and fifty time better than tracting. Further, the newley baptized members are 100% active one year later, and virtually all receive their endowments (if no spousal or age, etc., problems interfere).

When my in-laws were released as GoFH consultants, they reported these stats to us, and gave us all their materials. It is an intesnvie process, but with the new Familiy Search site and other tools now out there, it would be far less work, and, I believe, wouild have the same effect.

Lehi

Guest MormonGator

You're both over-thinking things. 

In my experience, I've found that the easiest way to be a missionary is to simply be yourself and let the questions come as they come. 

Exactly. The best way to be a missionary is to be happy too. Unhappy people do unimaginable damage to the faith. People will say "Why join a church that makes people miserable?" Seriously. Unhappy, scowling and sour people make the world much worse.

Edited by MormonGator

I think otherwise.

People need to have a tool, a comfortable tool, they can use in uncomfortable situations. We are not supposed to wait for people beg us to be baptized. We are supposed to be spreading the Gospel, and that means pushing the boundaries a bit.

In the case of "A Gift of Family History", the member just stays alert to people who are already interested in genealogy. And it's not odd for people to be interested.

Once, a couple of years ago, I went tracting with the missionaries. At one house, I noticed a family tree (looked like a tapestry) hanging on a wall beyond the door. I offered to do some research on their lines, and they invited the Elders back. It' snot an intrusive thing. just one way to make both the member and the other person comfortable about talking with each other about an important Gospel subject.

And, as I said, it works.

Lehi.

Guest MormonGator

People need to have a tool, a comfortable tool, they can use in uncomfortable situations. We are not supposed to wait for people beg us to be baptized. We are supposed to be spreading the Gospel, and that means pushing the boundaries a bit.

Whatever works, but I've baptized a few people before and it's been my experience that making them as comfortable as possible works really well. Make them feel loved, accepted and wanted (and they are, by Christ) and it's much easier. If you make them feel uncomfortable, it'll turn them off. I'm a convert, so I have a different view then some lifelong members do. No, that's not an insult to lifelong members-it's just a different perspective. 

Edited by MormonGator

I think otherwise.

For example, a lot of my missionary work has taken place during Dungeons & Dragons games. 

People become so astounded by the fact that I'm religious yet am actively involved in gaming that they naturally start asking questions. 

Guest MormonGator

For example, a lot of my missionary work has taken place during Dungeons & Dragons games. 

People become so astounded by the fact that I'm religious yet am actively involved in gaming that they naturally start asking questions. 

I get this all the time. You have long hair? Tattoos? You play DnD? But...but...I get it from both sides. Believers thinking I'm unGodly, and dnd geeks just wondering what I'm doing here. 

In my experience, I've found that the easiest way to be a missionary is to simply be yourself and let the questions come as they come.

So the best way to be a member missionary is to...do nothing?

So the best way to be a member missionary is to...do nothing?

Take a look at my follow-up post. 

You see, if you lead off with telling people that you're a member of the church, then folks will throw up all sorts of defense mechanisms. 

But if folks see that you're one of them, they'll be far more receptive to what you have to say. 

It's like what Ammon did when he was among the Lamanites. Instead of going out and preaching to them, he got a job and worked alongside them. As such, when he did speak to everyone, he wasn't just some random religious loon; instead, he was the local hero and so his words carried that much more weight with everyone he talked with. 

I'm not sure dungeons and dragons is really relevant. Nor can I imagine why members would refrain from playing if they enjoy such things. Nor can I understand why it would surprise others that we do such things. It's not like such an activity is sinful.

Now if we're sitting around smoking, drinking, swearing, telling dirty jokes, etc...then I would expect them to be surprised. ;)

On the other hand, if all we ever do is things like dungeons and dragons, I would dare bet that we're not setting the example we should as followers of Christ. To join in when appropriate now and again seems...appropriate.

You see, if you lead off with telling people that you're a member of the church, then folks will throw up all sorts of defense mechanisms.

I disbelieve this, and find it in my life to be, for the most part, false.

But if folks see that you're one of them, they'll be far more receptive to what you have to say.

This may be true (emphasis on "may"), but it has no bearing on what we should be. We should be, in all times and in all places, representatives of Christ, whose name we have covenanted to take upon ourselves. We should stand as witnesses of Him, do as He would do, and speak as He would speak. That certainly includes being friendly, kind, loving, inviting, etc. It does not including being "one of them" with the world.

It's like what Ammon did when he was among the Lamanites. Instead of going out and preaching to them, he got a job and worked alongside them. As such, when he did speak to everyone, he wasn't just some random religious loon; instead, he was the local hero and so his words carried that much more weight with everyone he talked with.

Being other's servant is what Christ would do. But what Ammon did was a whole lot more than...how did you put it...be himself and let the questions come. He gave up his whole life and self to go and live in a foreign land to serve them and preach to them the word of God, along with intense prayer, fasting, instruction, discussion, and counsel with his brethren.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Nor can I imagine why members would refrain from playing if they enjoy such things. Nor can I understand why it would surprise others that we do such things. 

A large swath of mainline Christianity - including some of your more staunch Protestants - literally believe that Dungeons & Dragons is nothing less than a recruiting tool for Satan. 

There's a lot of nonsense out there equating D&D to Satanism, Wicca, Paganism, murder, human sacrifice, and a whole host of other unpleasant things. 

...never mind the fact that co-creator Gary Gygax was an Evangelical Protestant. 

This sentiment has done a lot to drive large numbers of gamers away from Christianity over the decades. Hence why it's so surprising to find out that a person can be a gamer *and* religious at the same time. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

I totally agree.  Just today (er, yesterday) I was sitting in my car looking at my phone, and a woman approached my car....guardedly I rolled down the window, and she announced herself as a Jehovah's Witness and gave me a pamphlet. 

I can tell you the only thing I wanted to do was get rid of her as quickly as possible.  So I smiled and thanked her and then ended the conversation.   

Now, contrast that with another friend years ago...who developed a friendship first...then when I was having some health issues, she mentioned that she was a Jehovah's Witness.  I did not abruptly end the conversation with her.  I was willing to listen to her and then share some of our beliefs...neither of us converted to the others religion, but we had a much more meaningful exchange than I did with the woman in the parking lot.  

It is different for the full-time missionaries, of course, they have to do the "parking lot" approach, but this may be the main reason "member referrals" are so much more effective than tracting.  And also the reason that the church is having full-time missionaries do more service.  

Guest LiterateParakeet

A large swath of mainline Christianity - including some of your more staunch Protestants - literally believe that Dungeons & Dragons is nothing less than a recruiting tool for Satan. 

There's a lot of nonsense out there equating D&D to Satanism, Wicca, Paganism, murder, human sacrifice, and a whole host of other unpleasant things. 

I was raised in a small mostly-LDS community and I was taught that.  It's only in recent years that I've started to re-examine that idea and realize maybe D&D is "just a game."   :)  

I can see why that would be a turn off for gamers.  

Guest MormonGator

I was raised in a small mostly-LDS community and I was taught that.  It's only in recent years that I've started to re-examine that idea and realize maybe D&D is "just a game."   :)

I can see why that would be a turn off for gamers.  

Oh same with me. The rock band KIss was "satanic" too. I once said "So, you've never heard their songs, know nothing about them, but you can make a claim about them, huh? How would you like it if someone did the same to your church?" They didn't get it.  I grew up Catholic. 

Apparently, my desperate attempt for them to see the light was fruitless. It used to bother me when people would say DnD is "satanic" but now I just nod my head, say "You bet it is!" and pass on.  You truly can't fight ignorance. All it will do is make you frustrated. 

Edited by MormonGator

Oh same with me. The rock band KIss was "satanic" too. I once said "So, you've never heard their songs, know nothing about them, but you can make a claim about them, huh? How would you like it if someone did the same to your church?" They didn't get it.  I grew up Catholic. 

Apparently, my desperate attempt for them to see the light was fruitless. It used to bother me when people would say DnD is "satanic" but now I just nod my head, say "You bet it is!" and pass on.  You truly can't fight ignorance. All it will do is make you frustrated. 

About a decade ago I read Gene Simmons' autobiography "KISS And Make Up."

Simmons was raised Jewish. As part of it, from the time he started school until the time he entered high school, he received his education in a Jewish facility that taught theology and history in addition to the regular selection of academic subjects. He may not be an observant Jew, but he still at least considers himself culturally Jewish and holds to the theology. 

Because of this, he admitted, he got a kick out of quoting the Bible right back at the folks who shouted at him during the 1970s. 

As far as Dungeons & Dragons goes, I might still have the notes for a play-by-email campaign I was going to run a few years ago before the players backed out. If anyone's interested, I'll see if I can find them. 

Guest MormonGator

About a decade ago I read Gene Simmons' autobiography "KISS And Make Up."

Simmons was raised Jewish. As part of it, from the time he started school until the time he entered high school, he received his education in a Jewish facility that taught theology and history in addition to the regular selection of academic subjects. He may not be an observant Jew, but he still at least considers himself culturally Jewish and holds to the theology. 

Because of this, he admitted, he got a kick out of quoting the Bible right back at the folks who shouted at him during the 1970s. 

As far as Dungeons & Dragons goes, I might still have the notes for a play-by-email campaign I was going to run a few years ago before the players backed out. If anyone's interested, I'll see if I can find them. 

I've read it too. Stanley's bio (recently released) was much better. 

I think every member a missionary is a great idea, really. So many of us have so many different things to give the world. We all make great missionaries in our way, probably. LDS are just amazing people, period. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

I picked up a used copy recently, but haven't had time to read it; I've been busy finishing up some other books first.

if you like it I can give you a list of rock/punk/metal biographies.