Events in the US: The Past month. Is the United States failing?

FunkyTown

They also complained about immorality. Some thought the car and telephone would be the death of us all. 

Well, to be fair, the car has been the death of an awful lot of us.  Not sure about the phone (the CDC doesn't keep stats on death by telephone). :P

NOTE: I do think the amount and extent of wickedness in the world is increasing, but so is its righteousness, and the gap between them is widening, and all this will continue (as prophesied).  That doesn't mean that certain things (some of those you mentioned) aren't better than ever - even the wicked can increase their standard of living.

Guest MormonGator

Well, to be fair, the car has been the death of an awful lot of us.  Not sure about the phone (the CDC doesn't keep stats on death by telephone). :P

NOTE: I do think the amount and extent of wickedness in the world is increasing, but so is its righteousness, and the gap between them is widening, and all this will continue (as prophesied).  That doesn't mean that certain things (some of those you mentioned) aren't better than ever - even the wicked can increase their standard of living.

Oh Satan is out there. I worked with the public defenders as an investigator and saw some really nasty things. So I do admit that FP is right about that, 100%. 

Edited by MormonGator

Partially true. Because of the wide varieties of news sources, we think we hear more bad news than we did one hundred years ago. But we don't. 

That all depends on what you consider bad news. The reality is that it's decidedly more complex than just war and violence though.

Regardless, the question of whether things are getting worse is not a question of comparison to ancient (or even nearer history) times. It is a question of the attitude (aviation term) of travel. I think that is unquestionable. The world plane's attitude is, decidedly, aiming downward.

Guest MormonGator

That all depends on what you consider bad news. The reality is that it's decidedly more complex than just war and violence though.

That IS true. Agree 100% 

The US is an oligarchy and has been for a long time. The ones with money are the ones with power, and work only to get more money. The voters are irrelevant and paying for their corruption. The consequences of that are vast, but add up to a weaker nation as a whole. 

I would add in that it is a Gadianton influenced oligarchy.

Guest MormonGator

We aren't an oligarchy at all, in all seriousness. The people still pick the government. There is no small group choosing our leaders. That's way too "conspiracy". Sorry, doesn't work like that. If you want to blame someone, blame the other voters. 

Edited by MormonGator

Well, the oligarchy choose who we have to choose from, at very least when it comes to POTUS. The media is a part of it, too, probably because of the members of oligarchy who own the media. I'm not a major conspiracy theorist by any means, but it's all too clear to me what's going on.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Well, the oligarchy choose who we have to choose from, at very least when it comes to POTUS. The media is a part of it, too, probably because of the members of oligarchy who own the media. I'm not a major conspiracy theorist by any means, but it's all too clear to me what's going on.

This is my thought as well.  I'm curious what you think about this Gator. 

My husband would definitely agree with Gator. He has talkyd about this before. For example, when is the last time you went to the arena to watch Christians being fed to lions? Or attended a public hanging?

If the Savior were born today, some people 8n their wickedness wold still reject him, but we would not crucify him.

Nope, the Savior would have been locked up in a mental institution for the remainder of his life.

Guest Godless

Agree 100%. The oligarchy chooses the candidates, and then the people choose the POTUS. We've seen plenty of this in both parties over the last several months. Not necessarily a conspiracy, but I think it's a bit naive to think that the general public has absolute control over who represents them in Washington (or SLC, Austin, Tallahassee, etc.).

Edited by Godless

Agree 100%. The oligarchy chooses the candidates, and then the people choose the POTUS. We've seen plenty of this in both parties over the last several months. Not necessarily a conspiracy, but I think it's a bit naive to think that the general public has absolute control over who represents them in Washington (or SLC, Austin, Tallahassee, etc.).

They want us to think we have the power.

My, but I may be a bit conspiracy-worried.

We aren't an oligarchy at all, in all seriousness. The people still pick the government. There is no small group choosing our leaders. That's way too "conspiracy". Sorry, doesn't work like that. If you want to blame someone, blame the other voters. 

AGREE 100%.  You're not quite in the level of Philippine politics yet.  Not even close.  But you're headed there.

People say this a lot about American politics.  But all they see is the Federal Elections.  They don't see local politicians rise and fall by the power of the people which, as has been proven by 2010 and 2012 elections, can also drive national elections.

It is not good to think that one has no control over the direction of one's country.  You have the power.  You can organize and wield it.  The TEA Party is proof of it.

I'm sure his words are more relevant now than they even were then, although some people take it too far.

Careful after watching that, btw. If you're on autoplay, you might be graced immediately with a lovely video about how the real danger to the world is Mormonism, complete with temple ceremonies right out of the gate. (I did read a couple of comments and found them funny, but wouldn't recommend anyone doing the same. My favorite one was about how the GA's are the richest men on earth and use our tithing money to make WMD's.)