How to replace caffeine

Sunday21

On 2/27/2016 at 9:38 PM, Sunday21 said:

What do you do when you are so tired you are stumbling and slurring your speech but you have hours to go?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/110656/ginger-sekanjabin/

Rather than all the hassle of mincing the ginger, I generally just put the water in the blender and start dropping in chunks of ginger.  (You'll never get it all blended up if you dump it all in at once.)  Boil the result, reduce heat to simmer for a few minutes, then put the sugar in a container that can handle the thermal shock, strain your ginger pulp and water mix onto the sugar, and mix in the vinegar.  Remember to dilute before drinking.  I used to always carry a 16oz bottle of the syrup around and use it to flavor up chilled bottled water in the summer.

Experiment with the sugar.  I usually prefer it with three cups, and I've made it with two, though it was a bit sour.

Postum

Why has no one mentioned Postum. 

Postum is back on the market, you know, and was always a big seller in Utah.  Which is probably where you will find most of it today.

Someone in Gospel Doctrine mentioned Postum.  Quite a few didn't know what it was.   I used to see it advertised on tv all the time when I was a kid.  I believe my grandmother drank it for a while.

Then she went to Sanka.

I believe Sanka is decaf, but Postum, as you should all remember was a grain or wheat beverage.

Some people in Gospel Doctrine and Priesthood were saying that Postum would be immoral.  As it still gives the appearance of violating the wow. 

dc

17 minutes ago, David13 said:

Some people in Gospel Doctrine and Priesthood were saying that Postum would be immoral.  As it still gives the appearance of violating the wow. 

Yum, Postum! We love that stuff. We add it to our hot cocoa just to mix it up some times. 

As for giving off the appearance of violating the wow...hah! I arrived in my Mission, Chile, the entire mission (Missionaries) was drinking this Coffee looking stuff. I was like, "What is going on here?". Every single person drank it each morning and sometimes during the day. Postum equivalent called Ecco. Yum, Yum. Haven't had it since I got back. Think I'll order some online now. 

ecco.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

Oh yes, someone mentioned serving a mission in South America and that they had some substitute also there.  Is Ecco big in South America?  I don't know that I've ever seen it here, but I may have missed it in Utah.

dc

I prefer Pero or Cafix.  Postum has molasses in it that gives it an odd flavor.  I bought some Postum and Cafix for a baptismal candidate because he said that giving up coffee would be difficult.  He also mentioned that he didn't drink it as a pick-me-up.  He just enjoyed the flavor.

His verdict was that Postum tasted like something else of the same color.  I'm not sure how he knew.:P  But he could accept Cafix.  It was close enough to the flavor of coffee that with the right cream and sugar, he could see that as a substitute.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, David13 said:

Is Ecco big in South America? 

Ecco (was) a huge deal in Chile 20 years ago. You typically have to special order it in the states, I've never seen it at a US grocery store before. Carb is right, Pero totally slipped my mind the other day. I prefer Pero to Postum also. I had Postum growing up, but prefer Pero as an adult.

51 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I prefer Pero

Agreed!

14 hours ago, David13 said:

Then they need to quit drinking water, because that sure looks like vodka.  No apple juice either, because it looks like their kids have sippy cups of bourbon.

15 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Then they need to quit drinking water, because that sure looks like vodka.  No apple juice either, because it looks like their kids have sippy cups of bourbon.

No orange juice at parties - everyone will assume it's OJ and vodka.

While I think the whole appearance thing is funny to be considered, the one that I actually don't like and does give off the appearance of the real deal is near-beer. 
I know in Provo, there was an issue with several venues (clubs / music halls) serving near-beer. 

Why? Why drink something that has no alcohol, calls itself "beer", shipped in beer bottles, if not for the appearance of being "cool/rebel"?

Before anyone says anything, yes I realize root beer falls into that same mold. Root beer is a soda, not a wanna-be beer or an intro beer for minors. 

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2016 at 2:38 PM, Sunday21 said:

I am finding it really difficult to keep enduring to the end...of the day without tea or coffee. I work really long hours at a sedentary job that demands concentration. Most people keep going with tea or coffee. I can't have colas. I had friends who converted and tried short walks but this is hard to do at my workplace. What do you do when you are so tired you are stumbling and slurring your speech but you have hours to go?

It's the sugar that's the problem, it's toxic even at moderate levels.

4 hours ago, letmeoff said:

It's the sugar that's the problem, it's toxic even at moderate levels.

That's ridiculous!

The important message that I want you to remember is that glucose is necessary for our health and all of the cells in our body need it to function, but too much will increase the risk of several diseases, so we need to find the balance.

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Nutrition-basics/Why-your-body-needs-sugar-20131010

M.

On 3/9/2016 at 9:00 AM, zil said:

No orange juice at parties - everyone will assume it's OJ and vodka.

Actually, I'd avoid this for a different reason. (yes, I got the irony)  I'd be leery of a party that serves alcohol at all, but...  If I'm at such a party and I am carrying around a glass of orange juice, how easy would it be for the waiter to confuse it?  Then as he's replacing drinks, he'll give me an OJ and vodka.  Then... oops.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, zil said:

And just what is it that a Carborendum does after an accidental OJ & vodka?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Was there a video of this event? :P

Well, did you ever see what Steve Martin did with the wine in Father of the Bride when they met the in-laws-to-be?

11 hours ago, Maureen said:

That's ridiculous!

The important message that I want you to remember is that glucose is necessary for our health and all of the cells in our body need it to function, but too much will increase the risk of several diseases, so we need to find the balance.

http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Nutrition-basics/Why-your-body-needs-sugar-20131010

M.

Actually the body doesn't need sugar, as in cane sugar.

It's called propaganda, there is some truth mixed mostly with lies. And why, because sugar is a delivery system for other chemicals in foods.

Like tryptophan found in chocolate

Potential side effects of tryptophan include nausea, diarrhea, drowsinesslightheadedness, headache, dry mouthblurred vision, sedation, euphoria, and nystagmus (involuntary eye movements). Because tryptophan has not been thoroughly studied in a clinical setting, possible side effects and interactions with other drugs are not well known.

Edited by letmeoff
Do I need a reason?

Maybe I'll get banned for saying this ;) --

but as far as I understand, and despite what BYU vending machines seem to preach:

Caffeine itself isn't strictly against the Word of Wisdom.

I've never heard any General Authority say it is. And drinking it won't keep you from getting a temple recommend.

Now, I avoid caffeine mostly. And I think the church counsels against all addictive substances. But as far as strict church doctrine, you can still be a Mormon in good standing and drink a Coke or a Rockstar etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by tesuji

10 minutes ago, tesuji said:

Maybe I'll get banned for saying this ;) --

but as far as I understand, and despite what BYU vending machines seem to preach:

Caffeine isn't strictly against the Word of Wisdom.

I've never heard any General Authority say it is. And drinking it won't keep you from getting a temple recommend.

Now, I avoid caffeine mostly. And I think the church counsels against all addictive substances. But as far as strict church doctrine, you can still be a Mormon in good standing and drink a Coke or a Rockstar etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Joseph Smith did say hot drinks & cokes a cold drink, so maybe he's not talking about caffeine. But coke is not a soft drink anyway, made in 1886 as a medicine.

18 minutes ago, tesuji said:

And I think the church counsels against all addictive substances

Any by the way, since sugar has come up here, In my experience sugar is every bit as addicting as caffeine. Try to go a few days without any desserts or any added sugar (it will be hard in the US, because you'll have to read food labels - most things have a lot of added sugar).

Edited by tesuji

55 minutes ago, letmeoff said:

Actually the body doesn't need sugar, as in cane sugar.

It's called propaganda, there is some truth mixed mostly with lies. And why, because sugar is a delivery system for other chemicals in foods.

Like tryptophan found in chocolate

Potential side effects of tryptophan include nausea, diarrhea, drowsinesslightheadedness, headache, dry mouthblurred vision, sedation, euphoria, and nystagmus (involuntary eye movements). Because tryptophan has not been thoroughly studied in a clinical setting, possible side effects and interactions with other drugs are not well known.

So, you're advocating a very strict vegan diet?  Or should we stop eating altogether since many highly rated vegetables have high levels of T?

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, tesuji said:

Any by the way, since sugar has come up here, In my experience sugar is every bit as addicting as caffeine. Try to go a few days without any desserts or any added sugar (it will be hard in the US, because you'll have to read food labels - most things have a lot of added sugar).

If it is, then I'm immune.  I've had standard amounts of sugar in my diet for long periods and I had no cane sugar in my diet for several days without any ill effects. We tend to make most of our food from scratch.

I'm not saying drown yourself in sugar.  I'm saying there is a lot of hype about the negative effects of sugar that are greatly exaggerated.

Edited by Guest

On March 4, 2016 at 2:52 AM, Milluw said:

Eat some fruit! :) When i lack energy i find that eating a bunch of fruit here and there, and drink plenty of water, gives me a good boost of energy to last throughout the day.

I have yet to venture into the greener juices, but they should be very good.

I mostly do a mix of fruits and greens and make a smoothie in stead.

The basic version for someone who isn't too fond of the green flavour is this:

• 100% fresh orange juice (or you can peel some whole oranges and use them)
  • A handful of spinach (baby spinach is very mild in taste)
  • Icecubes
  • Frozen banana pieces

Pictures here for proportions: http://milluw.blog.com/2014/03/24/simple-green-smoothie/

You can always play around, add berries, more greens, and what not. But i have yet to meet anyone that dislikes this one, you can barely taste the baby spinach.

** Or superfoods! The chia seed is nutrient dense and packs a punch of energy boosting power.

Thank you. I am trying this!