Your dream/ideal business

pam

4 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

My you are a busy person! What are you taking in school if you do not mind my asking?

It's been over 40 years since I was in school.  So I'm starting BYU-I's Pathway program.  2 classes for 3 semesters and then I can transfer to their regular online degree programs.  Not sure what I want to study.  I'm too old for a new career.  It's on my bucket list to get my degree before I kick the bucket. :)

I used to program educational video games.  I am still a programmer, but now that I have kids, I think I would rather be a toy maker.  Toys are more interactive and creative for kids than a computer screen.  I like old school, non-electronic stuff.  Legos, Little People, playsets. That kind of thing.

11 hours ago, pam said:

I don't understand your statement.  Unless you are talking about the fabric I buy.  Really the only fabric I buy is the ones people have paid for the making of their quilt.  I don't spend my own money. :)

While I can't speak for Backroads, what I was thinking when I "liked" her comment was that too many people work at a crafts store because they like crafts themselves.  But that opens the door to having most of their salary go to buying stuff from the store they work at.  You are apparently immune to such enticements.  But my children say the will specifically never work in a bookstore because it's dangerous.

54 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

While I can't speak for Backroads, what I was thinking when I "liked" her comment was that too many people work at a crafts store because they like crafts themselves.  But that opens the door to having most of their salary go to buying stuff from the store they work at.  You are apparently immune to such enticements.  But my children say the will specifically never work in a bookstore because it's dangerous.

I've had many customers tell me they could never work in the fabric department as they would never have a paycheck.  I'm pretty good.  I have binges about 2X a year and I have a limit that I give my coworker who cuts the fabric for me.  She cuts me off when I reach that agreed upon limit.

12 hours ago, pam said:

I don't understand your statement.  Unless you are talking about the fabric I buy.  Really the only fabric I buy is the ones people have paid for the making of their quilt.  I don't spend my own money. :)

Carb best expressed my thought on the matter. I tried like three times to make a post and computers and life weren't letting me. 

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

But my children say the will specifically never work in a bookstore because it's dangerous.

Dangerous because it could be a fire hazard? Never get any work done because they are reading all the time? Never get much paycheck because they are buying lots of books?

When I was inactive I owned a Tavern. Sold beer & wine along with soda's, fruit & vegetable juices, hot dogs & chili. I ran it as though it was a hard liquor lounge = had wait persons who served the customers during the night and weekends. My bartenders were to get out from behind the counter, clean/clear the tables and interact with the customers yet be on their toes in servicing them, and maintaining control.

If at anytime I walked in unannounced and observed a customer, or customers, that were drunk, unruly, foul mouthed than I had the bartender cut the drunks off by offering them vegetable juice (V8) and hot dogs/chili or soup & crackers. I interacted with the unruly, foul mouthed ones reminding them individually and quietly of the Tavern's House Rules regarding that.

Depending on the time of my visit, if it was close to closing time, I remained to talk with my employee. If closing time was more than 2 hours away I left then returned at closing time. My rules were set in stone - follow the Oregon Liquor Control Commission Rules & Regulations to the letter . If you don't, your employment with me is terminated.

Would I own a Tavern/Lounge ever again. NOT ON YOUR LIFE! Though I did get to know a majority of the residents of my town. The good aka sober side AND the bad aka drunk side. I also heard pretty much all about their home and work life. Their dirty little secrets.

At one point, while living in Casa Grande AZ I wanted to open up a Breakfast - Lunch Cafe, that included a Used & New Book Store. I also thought about opening up a retail clothing store that catered to the Large Sized people. Larger than the 1X that was considered Large in every stinking store in a 100 mile radius. But after researching out the finances and logistics Hubby and I decided it was just too much for me/us.

If I was 20-30 years younger, and had NOT been married to abusive husband #1 I would love to have a small *Gentleman's* Organic Farm. Live on up to500 acres, raise my own meat, vegetables, fruits, grains. Employ under 15 people who live at the farm. Raise *designer* veggies to sell to restaurants & farmers markets. Raise sheep for their wool, spin it to sell, goats for their milk, cows for meat and milk, chickens, turkeys, etc. The money earned will pay the employees, support the farm and the employees/spouses/children who do more such as knit, crotchet, turn milk from the cows & goats into cheese will earn 80% of the money earned. 10% will be tithed and 10% to me to go into the Farms accounts.

On 7/21/2016 at 2:17 AM, anatess2 said:

If I was to chose a business, I'd go into real estate - buying distressed, fix it up, then rent it... or building condos or apartments from the ground up to rent. 

There is a bishop in my ward who does this.  He and his wife have been doing this for a long time, and they are probably one of the more wealthy members of our ward.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:50 AM, Iggy said:

Dangerous because it could be a fire hazard? Never get any work done because they are reading all the time? Never get much paycheck because they are buying lots of books?

Yeah.  It was definitely the fire hazard that concerned them... -_-