Political machinations ruin the stability of nations

nuclearfuels

President Monson has said in General Conference:

April 2008
As bearers of the priesthood, we have been placed on earth in troubled times. We live in a complex world with currents of conflict everywhere to be found. Political machinations ruin the stability of nations, despots grasp for power, and segments of society seem forever downtrodden, deprived of opportunity, and left with a feeling of failure.

October 2014
As bearers of the priesthood, we have been placed on earth in troubled times. We live in a complex world with currents of conflict everywhere to be found. Political schemes ruin the stability of nations, despots grasp for power, and segments of society seem forever downtrodden, deprived of opportunity and left with a feeling of failure. The sophistries of men ring in our ears, and sin surrounds us.

--

Any thoughts on this? Makes me think it's time to prepare, like a lot; like buying antibiotics, weapons, fuel, year supply of food, etc.  Makes me wonder also if the Restored Gospel is compatible with any political party, and I think the answer is no because God's goals aren't subject to being re-elected. 

56 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Makes me wonder also if the Restored Gospel is compatible with any political party, and I think the answer is no because God's goals aren't subject to being re-elected. 

The gospel will never be completely compatible with any political party until such time that Jesus comes back again and establish His government on earth.

In a country where you have the freedom to choose your leader, you don't choose a political party for its measure of Christianity.  Rather you choose a political party that you believe will protect/advance your mortal objectives in the next 4 years.

1 hour ago, nuclearfuels said:

April 2008
As bearers of the priesthood, we have been placed on earth in troubled times. We live in a complex world with currents of conflict everywhere to be found. Political machinations ruin the stability of nations, despots grasp for power, and segments of society seem forever downtrodden, deprived of opportunity, and left with a feeling of failure.

October 2014
As bearers of the priesthood, we have been placed on earth in troubled times. We live in a complex world with currents of conflict everywhere to be found. Political schemes ruin the stability of nations, despots grasp for power, and segments of society seem forever downtrodden, deprived of opportunity and left with a feeling of failure. The sophistries of men ring in our ears, and sin surrounds us.

--

Any thoughts on this? Makes me think it's time to prepare, like a lot; like buying antibiotics, weapons, fuel, year supply of food, etc.  Makes me wonder also if the Restored Gospel is compatible with any political party, and I think the answer is no because God's goals aren't subject to being re-elected. 

Frankly I wouldn't worry too much about it. It happens when it happens.  Hoarding ammo, medicine, stock piling food, fuel, etc, etc not necessary..... Follow the prophets council but don't go crazy.

FYI they have been talking about this for a long time.

The people of the Lord… have already commenced to gather together to Zion, which is in the state of Missouri; therefore I declare unto you the warning which the Lord has commanded me to declare unto this generation,…. ‘[T]he hour of His judgment is come.'… Flee to Zion, before the overflowing scourge overtake you, for there are now those living upon the earth whose eyes shall not be closed in death until they see all these things, which I have spoken, fulfilled.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 1, pp. 315-316

“The hour of God's judgment hath come…. This is the Lord's recompense for the controversy of Zion…. Flies shall go forth among the people, and bite them, and cause worms to come in their flesh, and their flesh shall fall from their bones; and their eyes shall fall out of their sockets;… Serious losses will soon be sustained both by sea and land; because of whirlwinds and tempests, and devouring fire…. The world is fast ripening for the judgments of God.”

- Apostle Orson Hyde, “A Prophetic Warning,” Latter Day Saints' Messenger and Advocate, July 1836, v. 2, no. 10, p. 345

“The signs of the times are portentous and clearly indicate the approaching downfall of the nations, and the overturning of kingdoms, empires, and republics, preparatory to the coming of Christ and his personal reign on the earth.”

- Apostle Orson Pratt, “Second Epistle of Orson Pratt," October 1, 1853, see Pratt, The Seer, 1853, v.1, no. 11

“The American Nation will be broken in pieces.... you live in the day and hour of the judgments of God Almighty.... the hour of God's judgment is at the door.... I wish to warn all nations.... Thrones will be cast down, nations will be overturned, anarchy will reign, all legal barriers will be broken down, and the laws will be trampled in the dust. You are about to be visited with war, sword, famine, pestilence, plague, earthquakes, whirlwinds, tempests, and with the flame of devouring fire.... the slain of the Lord will be many.”

- Prophet Wilford Woodruff, April 21, 1879, in Millennial Star, v. 41, p. 241

Edited by omegaseamaster75

1 hour ago, nuclearfuels said:

April 2008

October 2014
--

Well, I actually have a lot of thoughts on this.

1) You missed the April 1988 address and the April 2000 address where he said the same paragraphs.  The reason I bring this up is that I see a mathematical pattern.  I know you love those.  Notice the diminishing gap: 12 Years, 8 years, 6 years.  If the pattern holds and he survives his advancing years, the next would be 5 years.  So, 2019.  Then due to practicality, it would be down by one year after that.  This brings us to 0 years at 2029.  I don't know if that means anything.  But it's interesting.

2) As far as the preparation, I have two responses:

• Of course you have your emergency preparations ready.  That's part of being LDS.  I don't know why this statement would change anything.  But the idea behind Provident Living (as per the re-branding) is not that we're preparing for the end of the world, but that we're self-sufficient in every aspect of our lives -- as much as possible.
  • Provident Living is not just about emergency preparedness.  It is about financial preparedness and spiritual preparedness.  See below.

You focused on the doom and gloom aspect of his talk and asked,"So are we supposed to..."  But you didn't read the talks to find out what he said we're supposed to do -- which he did.

We who have been ordained to the priesthood of God can make a difference. When we qualify for the help of the Lord, we can build boys, we can mend men, we can accomplish miracles in His holy service. Our opportunities are without limit.  -- April 1988, April 2000, April 2008

We who have been ordained to the priesthood of God can make a difference. When we maintain our personal purity and honor our priesthood, we become righteous examples for others to follow. The Apostle Paul admonished, “Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” He also wrote that the followers of Christ should be “as lights in the world.” Providing an example of righteousness can help to illuminate an increasingly dark world. -- Oct 2014

He gave the first statement to remind us that we need to emphasize how our spiritual preparedness will shape the future, not our emergency preparedness.  

God before guns.

We cannot change the world through guns.  We only use guns when all else fails.  Our first mode of attack is to get right with God and set an example for the world.  It is only because we are not doing this well enough that we're even thinking about your emergency preparedness items.

So if you really want to make a difference, maintain your personal purity.  Honor your priesthood, be an example of the believers in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity, providing an example of righteousness to illuminate an increasingly dark world.

Edited by Guest

President Monson's 2008 quote reminds me of what Benedict XVI  wrote in his book Jesus of Nazareth. My limited memory remebers him stating that empires and countries come and go. Alexander the Great is no longer with us, or othe rulers in history. He did write however that we always have the poor (downtrodden). His question then was, what do we do with the poor?

As a bit of an anarchist, I do not believe the bureaucrats in the world have an answer. Regardless of their political and economic points of view.

I do believe, however, the answer is found in the Book of Mosiah. Plato's ultimate political ruler was the philosopher king. In Mosiah we have King Benjamin, who I think Plato would have shed tears over. 

years: 12 8 6 5 4 3 2 1
8/12, etc   0.666667 0.75 0.833333 0.8 0.75 0.666667 0.5
12/8., etc.   1.5  1.333333 1.2 1.25 1.333333 1.5 2

Seems like if your pattern holds, President Monson will repeat this warning in either 3 years or 2 years, leaving 2029 at the zero point if we're lucky.

As for getting right with God, seems like a personal matter; faith, repentance, baptism, and Holy Ghost and Temple Ordinances are required. After that - as we continue faithfully, God expects us to be as wise as serpents and harmless as doves, including surviving the overflowing scourges of the last days.  Just seems to me, form an objective point of view, one must live in relatively isolated, high altitude locations - basically avoiding large cities, the coasts, and earthquake/fault zones.

As for the poor that are always with us, as JonnieZ says, I'm not sure what the right approach here is, other than generous fast offerings.  When the plagues come, the poor and unprepared will break down our doors to obtain our resources; not sure God wants us to welcome them with open arms or anticipate what will happen and plan accordingly, without needing to be commanded in all things.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:05 PM, nuclearfuels said:

April 2008

October 2014

--

well let that be a motivator for you to get your storage and preparedness going. I imagine that for the most part as time progesses that the principles of the gospel will become less compatible with major parties.

On 8/3/2016 at 8:03 AM, nuclearfuels said:

God and guns.

In that order.

Alma the Younger said that preaching the word had more effect on the people than the sword. But his successor was both prophet and general, wielded both word and sword.

Lehi