Time to Stop Eating Meat?

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

People tend to associate Korean cuisine with kim chee more than anything else.  But what makes Korean Cuisine is their BBQ.  The special marinade that is Korean BBQ.  Mmmm.

Kim chee is fermented napalm.   If you have blocked sinuses,  one nibble will blow them clean. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:22 PM, Jojo Bags said:

And whoso forbiddeth to abstain from meats, that man should not eat the same, is not ordained of God;
(Doctrine and Covenants 49:18)

Nuf said.

Actually not enough said, you only quoted part of the complete thought, for the Lord continues:

For, behold, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which cometh of the earth, is ordained for the use of man for food and for raiment, and that he might have in abundance. But it is not given that one man should possess that which is above another, wherefore the world lieth in sin. And wo be unto man that sheddeth blood or that wasteth flesh and hath no need. (D&C 49:19-21)

Why are we so quick to ignore the Lord's word in this matter? Is it because we care so much about our steaks?

Note: I'm not a strict vegetarian but I think the Lord has been very clear and for some reason the few threads I've seen on this topic end up with people joking about eating meat.

10 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

Kim chee is fermented napalm.   If you have blocked sinuses,  one nibble will blow them clean. 

Oh, you are so right! Though I never ate it myself, but just the aroma is enough to do that.

My ex husband ate it with pretty much every meal. Our local grocery here in Oregon stocked it just for him! One case a month is what he went through.  A neighbor of ours here in Oregon, sent me the receipe when she moved to Hawaii. Said she got it from her Japanese landlords. My mother-in-law gave me the hot peppers to put in it. That stuff stunk our house up for ever! After making it once, I deferred it to her, so she could make it and stink her house up!

19 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

Not really.  To get the proper nasal cleaning effect, you've got to put it into a soup -- preferably one with lots of thin broth.  Serve it hot.

Maybe it's because I'm used to it.  But when I eat kim chee on my rice, it doesn't do anything for my sinuses.

9 hours ago, james12 said:

Why are we so quick to ignore the Lord's word in this matter?

People with access to scripture (be they Mormon or other) have pretty much always quoted the bits they like and ignored the bits they don't.  It takes time to adjust to the bits you don't much like.  There are similar scriptures about a variety of topics (where we like the permissive portion and dislike the part which requires us to do hard things) - but those are the sorts of things I think it's best to leave for in-person discussion (or Sunday lessons) cuz on the internet, it's only gonna cause contention.   I'm just grateful that I see many people making their best effort to do better in various ways - can't ask for much more.  Eventually, we'll either learn and obey, or be sifted out.

15 hours ago, james12 said:

Actually not enough said, you only quoted part of the complete thought, for the Lord continues:

Why are we so quick to ignore the Lord's word in this matter? Is it because we care so much about our steaks?

Note: I'm not a strict vegetarian but I think the Lord has been very clear and for some reason the few threads I've seen on this topic end up with people joking about eating meat.

You misunderstand the verse you quoted.  It has nothing to do with not eating meat.  Joseph Smith talked about it and stated that it is a sin to kill an animal without just cause.  If you cross reference D&C 49:18, it takes you to Gen 9:3-4, which also takes you to JST Gen 9:10-11

10 But, the blood of all flesh which I have given you for meat, shall be shed upon the ground, which taketh life thereof, and the blood ye shall not eat.

11 And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.

(Joseph Smith Translation, Genesis 9:10–11)

That is what was meant by "wasting flesh."  The WofW says to eat meat sparingly, which I do, but the scriptures also say that animals are ordained for the use of man.

• pam unfeatured this topic
On September 8, 2016 at 9:20 AM, unixknight said:

I don't understand why, with all the rules we already have to observe, some people go looking for more.  If the intent was for us to not eat meat then the First Presidency would have made a clear statement to that effect.

As I recently reminded someone else on this forum, you don't get to make up your own sins.

People in my ward are frequently making up their own list of sins! One woman announced that you should not get your temple recommend if you skipped ward activities. Attending my first activity in the ward several people were quite rude because I had bought my offering and not baked it myself. The church of home baking!

Edited by Sunday21

30 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

ward activities

Someone needs to read those sections of the handbook to this woman - it explicitly says people should not be made to feel that attendance is required!

I think in the US it's technically illegal to cook stuff at church - heat / re-heat is OK, but not cook. I just love government stupidity.

53 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

People in my ward are frequently making up their own list of sins! One woman announced that you should not get your temple recommend if you skipped ward activities.

See, this is downright idiotic.  It's thinking like a Pharisee at best, cultish at worst. 

What really strikes me about an attitude like that is the sheer, undistilled arrogance.  It's claiming superior knowledge of righteousness than the Church leaders themselves, or maybe even Heavenly Father, Who is ultimately the source of the standard by which Bishops determine whether or not someone's worthy of a recommend.  (Or more generally, whether something should be considered sinful.)

"Well I think this is really bad and should be sinful." 

Unless that quote is coming from God Himself, why should I care?

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

See, this is downright idiotic.  It's thinking like a Pharisee at best, cultish at worst. 

What really strikes me about an attitude like that is the sheer, undistilled arrogance.  It's claiming superior knowledge of righteousness than the Church leaders themselves, or maybe even Heavenly Father, Who is ultimately the source of the standard by which Bishops determine whether or not someone's worthy of a recommend.  (Or more generally, whether something should be considered sinful.)

"Well I think this is really bad and should be sinful." 

Unless that quote is coming from God Himself, why should I care?

I am totally with you on this!

12 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I had bought my offering and not baked it myself. The church of home baking!

Heretic.  

Oh, wait.  HERETIC!!!

Friday was our stake's "first annual" stake picnic.  People were encouraged to bring a pie.  This made Mrs. Carb want to skip it altogether because there was no time to bake a pie.  I said we ought to just buy one on the way there.

"From the store?"

"Yes, that's where you usually buy stuff."

"But we can't do that."

I was going to start an argument or ask for an explanation.  But I realized this was one of those things that we were not going to understand each other on.  So, I just went back to my work.

Sunday I found out that the pies were not just for sharing.  They were for a pie contest.  Wifey never said that.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

No matter what the potluck, I always pick up a fruit tray from WalMart.  Have yet to bring home a single leftover strawberry or pineapple chunk.

No one seems to want the cantaloupe, though.  And there's always a couple of grapes left over, because nobody wants to be the guy who took the last one. . .

Edited by Just_A_Guy

17 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

No one seems to want the cantaloupe, though.  And there's always a couple of grapes left over, because nobody wants to be the guy who took the last one. . .

That's always seemed odd to me.  I've liked cantaloupe since I was a child.  And I will take the last grape.  But apparently, I'm considered rude.  But you know what?  I'm ok with that.