Appearance of Evil? Oh, Halloween candy...

NeedleinA

So, meant to post these back around Halloween, but forgot about the pictures I took. Here are what two of my kids pulled from their Halloween bags (Hersey bar for scale only). I remember this stuff when I was a kid, but I just find it disappointing that adults would pass it out to kids. Anyone remember this stuff? Did your kids get any? Do you let your kids pretend to smoke their candy? Do you quietly sneak it out and toss it in the garbage?

20161031_202556.jpg

20161031_202820.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

I had these as a kid.  I never ended up smoking or even coming close to it.  I dunno.  The "appearance of evil" thing... do we really emphasize that?

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I had these as a kid.  I never ended up smoking or even coming close to it.  I dunno.  The "appearance of evil" thing... do we really emphasize that?

You made very good choices! We both did. I remember rolling up pieces of paper and pretending to smoke in elementary school and I've never smoked nor had the desire to. I guess it depends on consequences and boundaries provided by authority figures? I hid what I did and my momma would have given me a strict reprimand if she'd found out. It does not seem to invite the spirit to allow kids to pretend to smoke. And it seems like one of those things you could find justifications for that leads to other justifications for other things. Or even miming a habit for some people might ingrain some thoughts about it being okay when they are older and able to make their own purchases. I wouldn't deign to depend totally on a child's agency through their life and go lax on my need to be a support and set an example just because it is not real and the assumption that raising them right in everything else might help them turn out alright. There have been incredibly spiritually strong people who did everything right who still turn away from the church. I wouldn't want to play this Russian roulette with my kid.

10 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Do you quietly sneak it out and toss it in the garbage?

Were it me, I don't think I would sneak it out, I think I would use it to teach the stupidity1 of smoking, perhaps with nasty photos, but then, I'm not a parent and have no clue if that would work.

1 I think the act of smoking is simply stupid (and a sin if you've covenanted otherwise).  It's making money by getting other people to smoke that's evil (regardless of covenants).

@NeedleinA

I wouldn't sweat it.  I'd bet half your kids won't like the taste of those candies.  The others will get tired of them after a while.  The novelty of pretending to smoke really doesn't have much stimulation when others in the house ignore it.

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

The novelty of pretending to smoke really doesn't have much stimulation when others in the house ignore it.

Can't argue with that.  This is a useful tool in training dogs - ignore them and they learn that whatever they're doing isn't the way to get your attention.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Can't argue with that.  This is a useful tool in training dogs - ignore them and they learn that whatever they're doing isn't the way to get your attention.

That's a good thing to remember.  We're thinking about getting a dog.

But for the candy, I remember that the only reason we played with them was to laugh at holding it and sucking on it.  It was just playing around.  We laughed as a group.  But if you're the only one doing it and no one is laughing, where's the fun?

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

We're thinking about getting a dog.

IMO, if you get a dog, get a puppy (easier to train), and spend the money to go to the PetSmart classes or something similar to learn how to train him/her.  Don't try doing it yourself from a book - having your dog learn to obey you while in with a group of other dogs and people is extremely useful.  Also, the dog's name should be short (like 1 syllable, maybe 2) and include hard consonants, preferably at the start and end (dogs hear hard consonants better than soft, and it helps them to learn their names).  And they should teach you hand signals to go with each verbal command - these are really useful - essential, in my opinion.

My husband insisted on training our puppies, and man was it worth it.  I could take big dog (Chomp) out without a leash and he would stay with  and / or return when I called.  He would sit and stay and speak and shut up and come and lie down on command.  Of course, I think he was inherently obedient - that dog was Celestial from birth.  Instead of instant messaging each other when in different rooms, or yelling, or (gasp) getting up and going in person, we would write a note, give it to big dog and say, "Take it to Mom" or "Take it to Dad" (teach your dog your names), and he would carry the note and give it to the specified person, then take the reply back. :)

Little dog (Koshka, which is Russian for "cat") was harder, probably because she was smarter (border collie in there somewhere), but was more obedient than not and learned more quickly than big dog (she was just slower to obey sometimes), and would have been better, probably, if we'd worked harder.  I recommend against getting any dog with border collie (or similar really smart breed) in it unless you actually have sheep1, or plan to spend tons of time challenging its intelligence (e.g. with dog agility courses), cuz a bored dog is a bad dog and smart breeds will get bored without you to challenge them.

Neither dog would pass through a doorway without permission (HUGE benefit - train yours this way - to sit at a doorway (even if you go through it) and wait until you say "OK" - teach them "OK" - and they can abstract - eventually, they learn the concept of "doorway" and won't go through even new, never-before-seen doors without your OK).  They also knew "out" meant to leave the room they were in, and, if there were multiple exits, to go in the direction you were indicating (monkeys cannot learn to follow your pointing finger, but dogs can).  They also knew "off" (get off who or what they were on) and "hup" (jump up onto or into where you were indicating).

Personally, I think lab-great dane mix is as perfect as you can get (that was big dog).

1 One time, we took the puppies (dogs) to watch herding competitions (sheep, cows, horses, etc.).  Little dog was just dying to go chase the sheep around.  I think big dog wanted to eat one. :)

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I think it's much ado about nothing. I'd let my kids eat these, it's just candy. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

I think it's much ado about nothing. I'd let my kids eat these, it's just candy. 

Me too.

Interestingly, though, my kids won't eat these so more than likely I'll end up eating them myself.  My kids are so much more strict with the WoW than I am.  They even harass their dad over Red Bull.  They believe it goes against the spirit of the WoW.  Of course, we didn't teach them that because my husband loves his Red Bull.  They just came up with it on their own.

21 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Depends a lot on the situation... Altho nowadays with how everyonevis so hypersensitive to every little thing, its probably emphasized more now than in the past.