for I perceive that a virtue is gone out of me.

Edspringer

Guest LiterateParakeet

We typically think of virtue as related to morality, however, I don't believe that is the way it was used here.  The Savior didn't become less moral because she touched Him.  Rather I think virtue here should be defined as strength.  In the Webster's 1828 Dictionary, strength is the first definition listed for virtue.  http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/virtue

That lends a different meaning to the verse. 

3 hours ago, Edspringer said:

One of the most intriguing passages of scripture to me is surely Luke 8:43-48, when a woman touched the border of Jesus' garments. After asking who had touched Him, he said :" I perceive that virtue is gone out of me". 

I'd like to learn about your insights on the matter. 

Someone can exert so much faith in Christ that the blessing cannot be withheld, or better put, requires no vetting and trial of faith on the part of the Savior. For example, Nephi was told, "all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will," and "the Lord could not withhold anything from him [the brother of Jared], for he knew that the Lord could show him all things." The woman in this instance had great faith and was able to access the Lord's healing power. Just as the brother of Jared's faith surpassed His expectations, so did this woman's.

6 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

We typically think of virtue as related to morality, however, I don't believe that is the way it was used here.  The Savior didn't become less moral because she touched Him.  Rather I think virtue here should be defined as strength.  In the Webster's 1828 Dictionary, strength is the first definition listed for virtue.  http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/virtue

That lends a different meaning to the verse. 

Indeed. Strong's concordance of the Greek can be found here (dynamis). Take a look at some of the other usages in the New Testament:

From the Lord's prayer: "For thine is the kingdom, and the power (dynamis), and the glory, for ever."

Matthew 7:22, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works (dynamis)?"

John the Baptist "And he shall go before him in the spirit and power (dynamis) of Elias"

Luke 9:1, "Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power (dynamis) and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases"

Luke 10:19, "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power (dynamis) of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Luke 24:49, "tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power (dynamis) from on high."

Gift of the Spirit: "To another the working of miracles; (dynamis) to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:"