Cultural Diversity

Moksha

Good point! I think you ought to write your local GA about this and bring it to their attention! They probably weren't aware that not everyone is like the US! I mean, all they do is sit in the Utah bubble and never venture out in the dangerous world...

Hey, you know, perhaps the church ought to relax its standards for cultures where they share wives as well, because, well, you know, it's their culture!

Wouldn't want to have people change now, would we? I think that the church ought to change for them, so that they feel comfortable...

Your statement is about as ridiculous as they come, and was meant simply as a put down on what the prophet has suggested women do.

Always remember: not killing anyone is easy. Being obedient in the small things isn't.

But what do I know? I'm just a conservative man, so I don't know anything...

Posted Image

I was just looking at a program on the Discovery Channel about a group that wore a lot of neck rings and earrings, and it got me wondering about imposing our cultural preferences, in jewlery, on members and potential members from other cultures.

Any thoughts?

Well being Maori, it was common that both Men and Women had multiple ear piercings. It was a sign of status and also of Mana (Pride). But with that conflicting with the teachings of the Gospel, of course we changed with it. Although culture is very much important to a person and is key to their identity, so is the Gospel. But when we are in the Eternities, the only Culture is that of our Heavenly Father. And having 3 sets or earrings or so does not seem important to have.

We are commanded to follow the Prophet just like the song,

"Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,

Follow the prophet; don’t go astray.

Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,

Follow the prophet; he knows the way."

Just my 2 cents ^_^

Acez

'Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels, The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.' (Isaiah 3:16-24)

I think our American culture is even more caught up in appearances than those around the globe. Tattoos and piercings are a common part of it. Expensive clothing, footwear, cars, houses, jewelry, and so forth are all purchased in the maintenance of that appearance. Babylon will have no place in Zion, but the LORD will give her the beauty He intends, not that of the world.

-a-train

'Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.' (Isaiah 3:16-24)

I think our American culture is even more caught up in appearances than those around the globe. Tattoos and piercings are a common part of it. Expensive clothing, footwear, cars, houses, jewelry, and so forth are all purchased in the maintenance of that appearance. Babylon will have no place in Zion, but the LORD will give her the beauty He intends, not that of the world.

-a-train

:hmmm: The loss of my (eye)glasses sure would be great! :ph34r::lol::satan::satanflame:

I'm not really liking all the rest of the options though :rolleyes: :)

'Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels, The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.' (Isaiah 3:16-24)

-a-train

A-train,

Dead on right. I used to use this verse with my SS class when I taught the youth, and also with my daughters at home. I always asked them to tell me who Isaiah was talking to. He is speaking to the daughters (and sons, IMO) of Zion, not to the world at large (although is applies to them as well). He is weeping over and admonishing those in Zion to not get caught up in the fashion of the world...

Good point...

<div class='quotemain'>

Posted Image

I was just looking at a program on the Discovery Channel about a group that wore a lot of neck rings and earrings, and it got me wondering about imposing our cultural preferences, in jewlery, on members and potential members from other cultures.

Any thoughts?

Well being Maori, it was common that both Men and Women had multiple ear piercings. It was a sign of status and also of Mana (Pride). But with that conflicting with the teachings of the Gospel, of course we changed with it. Although culture is very much important to a person and is key to their identity, so is the Gospel. But when we are in the Eternities, the only Culture is that of our Heavenly Father. And having 3 sets or earrings or so does not seem important to have.

We are commanded to follow the Prophet just like the song,

"Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,

Follow the prophet; don’t go astray.

Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,

Follow the prophet; he knows the way."

Just my 2 cents ^_^

Acez

I like you thoughts Acez - I think you are right on. Just a note here. Many read in scripture about the worship of Baal but have no idea what was involved in the worship of Baal and how it related to culture. Many ancent Jews thought they could include the worship of Baal for deversity sake. Even today few have the slightest idea who Baal was. Here is some notions. He was the son of G-d the Father and a mortal woman. He died and was ressurrected in a celebration that was called Easter. For those that would like to know.

The Traveler

Plenty of LDS people have tattoos, piercings, prada purses, gucci eyewear, big-time cars with big-time payments, etc., etc. This doesn't make it all good. Breast augmentation is no different. If it is within your means and it will somehow build the kingdom and assist you in you the service of the LORD then do so, but I don't see breast implants being much help in the work of God. All of these things are nothing more than expensive image enhancers that only do so in the eyes of the world.

Now it has been commonly noted that the ladies in the Utah valley are some sweet lookers, and this before any breast implants. I am not of the opinion that the LORD's will is that His people look bad or un-maintained, but so long as they seek Him first, they shall put on the beauty He is want to bestow, which beauty is like the noon-time sun in contrast to the small sparkles of the trinkets of the world.

-a-train

<div class='quotemain'>

What's the difference in adorning the body with piercings and such, and getting breast enhancement? I know plenty of LDS women who do that. Are you guys OK with that?

No. I see no difference with that and piercings, tattoos, etc.

Because the breast augmentation is internal or because it is pleasing to men?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

What's the difference in adorning the body with piercings and such, and getting breast enhancement? I know plenty of LDS women who do that. Are you guys OK with that?

No. I see no difference with that and piercings, tattoos, etc.

Because the breast augmentation is internal or because it is pleasing to men?

I'm sorry, but....WHAT?

I don't get the point of your post.

I feel that plastic surgery is wonderful for those that have a deformity of some type, like a cleft, etc. To go from a 34B to a 36C is vanity, pure and simple.

Yes, it pleases men. It is hardwired into us, for crying out loud. But what higher purpose does it serve, other than to give someone 'self esteem'. Bigger boobs won't do that. Self esteem you get no matter how you look...

man, can i come to your ward?

every LDS girl i have known was cute and nice, untill they get married, then they blow up like a baloon....

every ward i have been in, the relief society had to spread the chairs out a little bit for them to all have room to sit....

hehe, I'm not worried, i married out of the church, a wonderful and fit fillipina woman.

it's just an observation i made.

Let's be fair here, though...

EQ and HPG need 'elbow room' as well, so it isn't just some sisters...

My own opinion (not official doctrine, just so I'm not misunderstood :P ) on this is that everyone has a vice, something they do that is bad for them. Some smoke, some drink like fish, some do other things. Since we are prohibited from doing any of those things in order to remain members of good standing, we EAT. And EAT. AND EAT.

Every third Sunday we have a linger longer. We have potlucks at other times. Some of the best cooks I've known were Mormon women (and men, BTW). And none of them were ever skimpy with the calories!

We may look a little sloppy, but we are enjoying getting there! :D

Let's be fair here, though...

EQ and HPG need 'elbow room' as well, so it isn't just some sisters...

My own opinion (not official doctrine, just so I'm not misunderstood :P ) on this is that everyone has a vice, something they do that is bad for them. Some smoke, some drink like fish, some do other things. Since we are prohibited from doing any of those things in order to remain members of good standing, we EAT. And EAT. AND EAT.

Every third Sunday we have a linger longer. We have potlucks at other times. Some of the best cooks I've known were Mormon women (and men, BTW). And none of them were ever skimpy with the calories!

We may look a little sloppy, but we are enjoying getting there! :D

hahahaha so true, my mom taught me how to cook, but i cook liek a redneck. i think i found the only filipina in the world (my wife) who doesn't know how to cook.

oh and yes, i apologize for not mentioning the EQ and HPG meetins as well, they too need room to move around :blink: