Hypnosis

Mike

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No.  Apparently, I can't be hypnotized.  People have tried.

Well, in the absence of any affirmative responses so far, with your indulgence I'll attempt to explore the experience(s) you did have. How many people have tried to hypnotize you? Were the people entertainment professionals? How did each attempt differ from other attempts?

Edited by Mike

@Mike I personally was never hypnotized, however, my boss was and to test it out she requested the hypnotist make her not like pretzels anymore.  She claims that she did used to like them but ever since then she has not liked them and cringes if she accidentally eats or bites into one.

Also, ever since I saw your OP earlier today I have had the intention of posting some really interesting information about hypnotism because I have done some research on it and come to some conclusions that I think are fascinating and enlightening.  I will do my best to post it when I get home from work tonight. :)

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Well, in the absence of any affirmative responses so far, with your indulgence I'll attempt to explore the experience(s) you did have. How many people have tried to hypnotize you? Were the people entertainment professionals? How did each attempt differ from other attempts?

One was a psychologist who was my deacon's quorum adviser.  I was simply too ADHD at the time to listen to any calming voices.  I kept interrupting him.  Think "The 12 Tasks of Asterix" the hypnotist guy.

Another was an entertainer.  He apparently hypnotized others on the stage.  I simply wasn't part of the acts.  However, when he asked me to do some silly things, I just figured, "why not".  I can cluck like a chicken and enjoy it.  And I did.  It was fun.  Besides, I had to let him save face in front of the audience.  He was not that impressive in his presentation.  No one actually noticed that at the end, I just walked off the stage without being "dismissed".  But he (the entertainer) did notice and gave me a wink.

Another was a friend of mine who was trying to "practice".  I'm not sure if that counts since he wasn't actually... well... practiced in the art.  He tried.  He asked me to go do something rather innocuous.  But I said,"I gotta go to the bathroom first."  Yes, seriously.  Relaxation, well, causes certain muscles to relax.

I also have these hypnotic tapes from "Marshall Silver".  I really liked the advice he had to give.  But the hypnotic portions of the cassettes were relaxing (yes, cassettes, just be glad they weren't 8-track, buddy!  What's an 8-track??  DOH!)  But I wouldn't have any way of knowing if they actually hypnotized me since the goal was not to put me into a trance, but into a state of susceptibility to suggestion.  And for those life skills he was teaching, I'd be glad to be susceptible to those suggestions.  Since it wasn't 100% effective, I guess I could say I was not hypnotized.

9 minutes ago, person0 said:

@Mike I personally was never hypnotized, however, my boss was and to test it out she requested the hypnotist make her not like pretzels anymore.  She claims that she did used to like them but ever since then she has not liked them and cringes if she accidentally eats or bites into one.

Also, ever since I saw your OP earlier today I have had the intention of posting some really interesting information about hypnotism because I have done some research on it and come to some conclusions that I think are fascinating and enlightening.  I will do my best to post it when I get home from work tonight. :)

Thanks very much. I'm interested, and I think the conversation could be interesting, too. ?

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

One was a psychologist who was my deacon's quorum adviser.  I was simply too ADHD at the time to listen to any calming voices. ...

Yeah, at that age I probably displayed similar behavior. What about today?  Do you personally feel attention is the key and that it might enable you now? 

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah, at that age I probably displayed similar behavior. What about today?  Do you personally feel attention is the key and that it might enable you now? 

Since it never worked on me, I have no idea why others were hypnotized and I was not.  BTW, the other three examples were in my adulthood.  And who says I grew out of my ADHD?  I still have problems focusing.

Edited by Guest

I think you're unlikely to get a lot of responses due to this policy:

Hypnosis

The use of hypnosis under competent, professional medical supervision for the treatment of diseases or mental disorders is a medical question to be determined by competent medical authorities. Members should not participate in hypnosis for purposes of demonstration or entertainment.

I can't be the only one who's known since childhood that this is discouraged.  And I think the reasons why ought to be fairly obvious.

1 hour ago, zil said:

I can't be the only one who's known since childhood that this is discouraged.  And I think the reasons why ought to be fairly obvious.

Yes, I agree hypnosis or anything that causes people to lose control is discouraged....as is self harm...Zil, you seem to have set yourself on ?. Can we offer a pail of water?

Guest MormonGator

We had a hypnotist entertain a group of us in college once. It was cute, but looking back I can't help but shake the feeling that everyone who was "hypnotized" was in on the joke in someway. I do think hypnotism works for some people, but you have to believe it works. 

This is really long, but hopefully you find it super cool, or at least very intriguing. :)

In relation to hypnotism, I will first lay out many premises and then summarize with a conclusion.

Spirit is matter

"All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure . . ." (D&C 131:7)

Spirits have intelligence

"Is it logical to say that the intelligence of spirits is immortal, and yet that it had a beginning?  The intelligence of spirits had not beginning, neither will it have an end. . . . Intelligence is eternal and exists upon a self-existent principle."  (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp.353-354)

"The scriptures also may speak of intelligence as referring to the spirit element. . ." Guide: Intelligence

The earth is a living entity and everything thereon is comprised of both spirit and element

"This earth is living and must die, but since it keeps the law it shall be restored through the resurrection by which it shall become celestialized and the abode of celestial beings." (Joseph Fielding Smith - D&C Student Manual)  See also D&C 29:22–25 and D&C 88:17–19, 25–26 and Guide: Earth.

"The earth itself and the living things on the earth have spirit counterparts. . . living things are composed of organized, refined spirit matter. . . includes animals and plants." (EOM: Spirit World)

"For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. . . And out of the ground made I, the Lord God, to grow every tree. . . And it became also a living soul. . . every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air. . . were also living souls."  (Moses 3:5-9, 19)

Spirit/Intelligence is able to act for itself as designated by God

". . . Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.  All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence. . ." (D&C 93:29-30)

Satan is able to perform miracles

Satan can cause things to happen that imitate the true spiritual gifts. . . He can make wicked things appear to be good and right. . . He can perform miracles to deceive people. Sorcerers, mediums, fortune-tellers, and others like them receive what power they have from Satan and are not followers of Jesus. We should stay away from them. (Gospel Fundamentals - Ch 16)

God creates, Satan is unable to create, but simply destroys or re-purposes true creation

That is just what the Devil can do, but he never can build anything. The difference between God and the Devil is that God creates and organizes, while the whole study of the Devil is to destroy. (13:4).  Show me one principle that has originated by the power of the Devil. You cannot do it. I call evil inverted good, or a correct principle made an evil use of. (3:157).  Was there ever a counterfeit without a true coin? (7:240). (Brigham Young - Journal of Discourses)

Anything that is of the earth in its fallen state is controllable by Satan's power

". . .the spirit is pure, and under the special control and influence of the Lord, but the body is of the earth, and is subject to the power of the Devil, and is under the mighty influence of that fallen nature that is of the earth." (2:255) (Brigham Young - Journal of Discourses)

Hypnotism is based on truth

Hypnotism is an inverted truth; it originated in holy, good, and righteous principles, which have been inverted by the power of the devil …” (Brigham Young - Journal of Discourses, 3:156) (lds.org)

Hypnotism is the power by which Satan performs miracles

I know of many whom mesmerism has led out of this Church; they would see the sick healed, and attribute it to the power of God; would fall under its influence, embrace and practice it, and thus give the Devil power over them to lead them out of the Kingdom of God. They could not tell whether it was the power of God or the power of the Devil. What is the reason? They had not the light of revelation within them; they had not the knowledge of God. Are you not aware how easily we may be deceived?. . . The Lord does not deceive people, but astrology and mesmerism do lead them astray. (3:156).

There are many Elders in this house who, if I had the power to mesmerize that vase and make it dance on that table, would say that it was done by the power of God. Who could tell whether it was done by the power of God or the power of the Devil? No person, unless he had the revelations of Jesus Christ within him. I suppose you are ready to ask Brother Brigham if he thinks the power of the Devil could make the vase dance. Yes, and could take it up and carry it out doors, just as easy as to turn up a table and move it here and there, or to cause a rap, rap, rap, or to bake and pass around pancakes or to get hold of a person's hand, and make him write in every style you can think of, imitating George Washington's, Benjamin Franklin's, Joseph Smith's, and other autographs. Can you tell whether that is by the power of God or by the power of the Devil? No, unless you have the revelations of Jesus Christ. (3:157).
(Brigham Young - Journal of Discourses)

This principle is also illustrated in this article on lds.org.

I think most of the premises I presented speak for themselves, however, while I remain open to other theories, I want to make a connection between them that I believe to be logical and reasonable:

Hypnotism is based on true principles, and is used by Satan in order to mesmerize the elements of the earth in order to perform miracles.  However, the question remains, how does he accomplish this?  I will borrow some secular perspectives of hypnosis to help solidify an answer this question:

Under hypnosis you will not be able to do anything which goes against your personal values or beliefs. . . If you are asked to do something unacceptable to your values, your mind will simply reject it and you will come out of hypnosis immediately. . . hypnosis can be used to create change, but only when the client is genuinely ready for the change. (12 Myths About Hypnosis)

We can understand from the established premises that the earth in its entirety, as well as the plants and animals thereon is a combination of spirit and element which exist as living souls.  We also can understand that intelligence 'is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself'.  If a righteous priesthood holder commands water to become wine, or leprosy to be healed, the blind to see, a mountain to be moved, etc, then in theory the intelligent spirit connected to the elements will obey as if the command came from God, and will act as instructed.

We have no reason to believe that the elements of the earth would naturally obey Satan, or any command he gives.  However, if those elements were hypnotized, then, even though they would not normally obey Satan, moving, healing, re-arranging, etc, is something they would normally be prepared to do if commanded, it is not unacceptable to their natural behavior.  Even if we accept the premise that hypnosis cannot cause action contrary to core values, hypnotism prepares the elements for the change, and they enact it regardless of the one giving the command.  I personally believe this is how the magicians of Egypt were able to mimic many of the miracles God used Moses to perform including water to blood, staff to snake, etc.

Edited by person0

from person0's post: (12 Myths About Hypnosis)

"Hypnosis is used to strengthen positive messages and weaken or neutralize negative messages that are already in your subconscious mind. This makes it possible to effect a permanent change in you when you are ready to make the change.

In fact, part of the first session at Ennar Hypnosis is used to determine if the client honestly WANTS the requested change. This determination is made before the client is ever put into hypnosis.
For example, suppose a client tells me,“My wife wants me to stop smoking. Can you help?”
The client's choice of words probably means that he is not yet personally committed to stop smoking.
In this case, hypnosis will not help this client to stop smoking.

In other words, hypnosis can be used to create change, but ...only when the client is genuinely ready for the change."

---------------------------

I think hypnosis can be beneficial if done for a good reason. After all arent we all being hypnotized every minute of the day in some shape or form? aka The power of suggestion coming from the advertising of foods, fashion and entertainment, and we all know that there are bad sides to foods/fashion and entertainment. Similar to foods/fashion/entertainment, if there is no official word from our apostles then I feel as individuals we can make our own educated and inspired decisions about hypnotism. I personally have never come across a need for hypnotism and im not attracted to the idea of participating in it for entertainment but if me or a family member had a health issue and nothing worked then I would definitely try hypnotism.

1 hour ago, priesthoodpower said:

I think hypnosis can be beneficial if done for a good reason. . . if me or a family member had a health issue and nothing worked then I would definitely try hypnotism.

I did clearly point out in my post that hypnotism is based in truth.  The church also has not outright condemned or forbidden medical hypnotism as posted by @zil.  The intent of my post was not to say that the true principles behind hypnotism are evil, but that the distortion or degradation of those true principles is the basis for the power Satan uses to accomplish 'miracles' which lead people astray.

Edited by person0

15 hours ago, zil said:

Actually, I was hoping there might be someone on the forum who has been hypnotized by competent medical professionals and would describe it from their own personal viewpoint. A discussion needn't challenge the policy. 

15 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Since it never worked on me, I have no idea why others were hypnotized and I was not.  BTW, the other three examples were in my adulthood.  And who says I grew out of my ADHD?  I still have problems focusing.

No, I wasn't asking you to speculate about anyone else. I meant about your personal opinion regarding yourself. Nor did I mean to suggest anything about your own issues with ADHD. I merely wondered whether now that you are farther along and beyond childhood you might have different skills than you had back then which in your opinion about yourself might be enable you to be hypnotized assuming you weren't about violating the policy that @zil brought up. 

13 hours ago, MormonGator said:

We had a hypnotist entertain a group of us in college once. It was cute, but looking back I can't help but shake the feeling that everyone who was "hypnotized" was in on the joke in someway. I do think hypnotism works for some people, but you have to believe it works. 

Yes, think so, too. I suppose it's impossible for me to know the truth about someone else's claim. I'm more or less forced to choose whether to believe or disbelieve that someone "on-stage" is really hypnotized. That's another reason I had hoped that someone on this forum could talk about their own personal experiences with the entire process--I mean as opposed to someone's friend, relative, he-said, I've-read, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

No, I wasn't asking you to speculate about anyone else. I meant about your personal opinion regarding yourself. Nor did I mean to suggest anything about your own issues with ADHD. I merely wondered whether now that you are farther along and beyond childhood you might have different skills than you had back then which in your opinion about yourself might be enable you to be hypnotized assuming you weren't about violating the policy that @zil brought up. 

Note: I was saying that last post in a light-hearted manner, not a critical one.  Just to be clear.

My point is that if I don't know why others were hypnotized and I was not, then I can't really speculate as to whether that trait has changed in me or not.

Interesting note: Many people say that TV watching gets your brain used to not being used.  But I found that I'm constantly questioning what is happening.  Why did the arm of that ice statue disappear? (It turns out it was the murder weapon).  Why was that Vulcan acting so emotionally?  (It turns out she was a Romulan in disguise).  Why did that kid say no one was there when he just saw the gardener? (It turns out both were spies on the bad guys' side)...

If TV watching is similar to hypnosis, I can only guess that I didn't get hypnotized because I'm constantly questioning things.  I notice details and ask questions no one else does.  If I'm constantly wondering and actively using my brain's cognitive functions, then I don't know if there's room for one-way suggestion.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Interesting note: Many people say that TV watching gets your brain used to not being used.  But I found that I'm constantly questioning what is happening.  Why did the arm of that ice statue disappear? (It turns out it was the murder weapon).  Why was that Vulcan acting so emotionally?  (It turns out she was a Romulan in disguise).  Why did that kid say no one was there when he just saw the gardener? (It turns out both were spies on the bad guys' side)...

If TV watching is similar to hypnosis, I can only guess that I didn't get hypnotized because I'm constantly questioning things.  I notice details and ask questions no one else does.  If I'm constantly wondering and actively using my brain's cognitive functions, then I don't know if there's room for one-way suggestion.

In my opinion those people who say (that) about TV may not be using their own brains that much either. I think they are not talking very thoughtfully, or perhaps they really don't know much about either television viewing nor how brains work. I suspect one could erroneously use the word hypnotized when describing the way we execute routine tasks without the same degree of concentration we use when first learning the tasks--driving the same route home every day, opening a spreadsheet, or placing a child into the bathtub. I think many people have a (not always very useful) tendency to compare things they don't understand to simple things they think they do understand. Hence, my own questions about hypnosis. 

19 hours ago, zil said:

No, zil.  Just you.