Country Music - bother!

Sunday21

The ultimate alternative country artist, of course, is Bob Dylan.

I am a little fanatical when it comes to Bob Dylan - I have all of his major albums and most of his "bootleg series" albums.  

People ask me if I prefer the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.  I just laugh condescendingly and say, "Bob Dylan!"

It drives my wife crazy, as she can't stand Bob Dylan because he "can't sing".  

I think his albums Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, and the Basement Tapes (or better yet, the Basement Tapes Complete box set) are perfect gateways from rock into country music.  Self Portrait is also an underrated country masterpiece.

Neil Young is another great gateway.  I have all of his major albums through 1980 (and a number of his albums after that).  Harvest, Time Fades Away and Tonight's the Night are key albums there.

The Grateful Dead also work, although they are definitely more on the rock side.  If you go the Grateful Dead route, please note that their live albums are far better than their studio albums, particularly Europe '72.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 7/28/2017 at 5:04 AM, Ironhold said:

Ronnie Milsap - "Smokey Mountain Rain"

Oh my stars, i haven't thought of him since I was a kid. Thanks for the nostalgic moment.

1 hour ago, DoctorLemon said:

The ultimate alternative country artist, of course, is Bob Dylan.

I especially remember his country powerhouse ballad, "All Along the Watchtower", as famously covered by the Urban Cowboy himself, Jimi "Slide Guitar" Hendrix.

Seattle's Urban Cowboy King:

Edited by Vort

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I especially remember his country powerhouse ballad, "All Along the Watchtower", as famously covered by the Urban Cowboy himself, Jimi "Slide Guitar" Hendrix.

Seattle's Urban Cowboy King:

Ah yes, I am a fan of Hendrix!  I really enjoy Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland, though I never really got into Axis: Bold as Love.  

Still, one of the best early examples of electric guitar.