A spouse is coming out with Gender Dysphoria - Divorce OK or not?

eddified

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I think we need to be careful with this.  Do I believe the urban legends about people walking by the door to the Holy of Holies while the prophet was in there alone, and purportedly hearing two voices in conversation?  I suspect that more often than not such tales tend to be hyperbolic, and that revelation comes to the Chirch leadership via the whisperings of the Spirit far more frequently than by dreams, visions, or corporeal manifestations of resurrected beings.

But, to definitively say that such manifestations cannot or do not happen, I think, puts us in the state of woe warned of by the prophet Moroni.  The doctrine of the Second Comforter is very much a part of our religion; and I believe we'd be surprised at just how many Mormons have received the sorts of encounters with divinity that we typically associate with prophets and apostles.

I agree, and I never said definitively,  but I do not that that it is "good" mormon lore to spread around.  Between me and you I don't know what happens in the holy of holies, or what occurs with the prophet when he is alone.  I do think though that he would ask us to refrain from wild speculation.  We are lead by a prophet who we sustain as a seer and revelator. How revelation is received or occurs is speculation at best. 

2 hours ago, eddified said:

@Anddenex, @anatess2, could it be that in a situation such as this (where your spouse is presenting themselves to the public as the opposite sex, and dressing up as the opposite sex, etc), that there isn't only one right option? Could there be more than one right option? The Lord lets us choose. Jesus gave the 12 Nephite disciples a choice about death and 3 of them chose something different. Not wrong, not right... just different.  Could it be that @Anddenex's view is not wrong, just different? Staying with a spouse no matter what is commendable. But clearly the Lord allows divorce under extreme cases, with no condemnation (as far as I can tell). Might these just be different choices, with one not being greater than the other?

Correct, I am only saying "divorce" would be an option in the scenario provided; however, this would be something that would be between the couple and the Lord. The question provided in the OP, as I understood it, was asking if "divorce" would be an option, and I provided a reason for how it could be.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I apologize for being dense.  So you're saying that your reason for divorcing is because your spouse is not keeping covenants.  That's a reason.  That's not a purpose.  Purpose and reason are not the same word although they are close in meaning.  Reason is why you did something.  Purpose is what you're trying to achieve.

Yes and no. We all understand that their are varying degrees of breaking covenants with spouse, and before the Lord, which is why we have varying degrees of discipline within the Church. A spouse that masturbates verses a spouse that consistently commits adultery. I shouldn't have to clarify any further regarding the level of seriousness between these two sins. Are they both breaking covenants, yes, but one definitely has more severe repercussions than the other.

The reason is the "seriousness" of the sin that is taking place, not just breaking covenants, which would be over simplifying the issue if it were just breaking covenants. Lying to ones spouse is "breaking" a covenant. Serious enough for "divorce," depends of the lie.

The OP mentions, the husband is excommunicated (all blessings of covenant removed). What the individual has chosen is serious enough for being excommunicated. Is divorce on the table, sure, and that would be between the spouse and the Lord. My opinion matters very little, unless, it was me and the roles were reversed. If my beloved, all of a sudden came to me and said, "I am really a man," and stopped fighting the good fight to keep her covenants. Well, divorce would definitely be on the table. I am not married to a "man" I married a woman. If changing from a "woman" to a "man" isn't serious (just a phase), I am not sure how to address that.

5 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Not to side track, but you don't believe this do you? ( that our prophet speaks face to face with God )

If the resurrected Jesus was face to face with the ancient prophets in the Book of Mormon and the resurrected Jesus along with God was face to face with a modern day prophet (Joseph Smith) why cant any other modern day prophet have the same? Granted its not on a regular weekly meeting type face-to-face but if you ask me have our modern day prophets ever met God face to face I wouldnt say no.

Edited by priesthoodpower

3 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

It's off topic so quickly, while I believe that our prophet receives direct revelation from God and his son Jesus Christ as needed my issue with the statement is that it may be misleading.  Being Prophet does not include a sit down face to face with the God head. This in no way reduces or diminishes their personal knowledge of God and Christ, I just do not think that the face to face description is accurate, and should not be told as such, many people visit these forums members and non members we should make efforts to be accurate.

With this same reasoning is why we shouldnt be so close minded when we hear about a lady that says she talks to rocks. When she told me this I didnt literally picture her having a two way conversation with a rock, I understood that she probably feels its energy and receives inspiration when being around rocks, similar to when my bishop told me he likes to climb to the top of mountains and feel nature speak to him.

On 8/1/2017 at 11:18 AM, eddified said:

Well how would you know? You've never even talked to one! ;)

Oh, I've talked to plenty of rocks.  Had some things that would make a sailor blush to say to hundreds of them about 3-4 hours into a long hike.

If they start talking back, I'm more likely to recheck the previous day's menu than take their advice.

Edited by NightSG