The Resurrection

Annabelli

I read about the symbol of the cross on another thread and how it represents the crucifixion and death.

The LDS Church supports the idea of the Living Christ. And that is what I believe that we should be doing.

Does Easter Sunday follow through with that in celebrating Easter?

Obviously Good Friday would be as much a day of death as reference of the cross.

Isn't the day of Jesus death still a controversy?

Is the resurrection and the atonement the same? Is the resurrection the restoration of God and people making it the atonement.

Gee, I think that I just found myself back in the garden of Gethsemane. :dontknow:

I read about the symbol of the cross on another thread and how it represents the crucifixion and death.

The LDS Church supports the idea of the Living Christ. And that is what I believe that we should be doing.

Obviously Good Friday would be as much a day of death as reference of the cross.

Is the resurrection and the atonement the same? Is the resurrection the restoration of God and people making it the atonement.

Gee, I think that I just found myself back in the garden of Gethsemane. :dontknow:

Prior to becoming LDS, I attended the services of many other Churches and faith traditions. Sometimes when I hear LDS people express their thoughts regarding the religious beliefs of others, I realize they are totally in the dark in regards to what these other people actually believe.

annabelli,

I don't think that people today can get what the cross meant to early christians. Today it is a religious symbol misted over by 2000 years of religious traditions and superstitions. I imagine if you lived closer to the time when Christians were being periodically being excecuted by cruxificion and that fate might befall you at any time, it might mean something different.

Paul regularly used the word to summarize the suffering and death of Jesus, I don't have any qualms about seeing the garden as part of the sufferings of Jesus. The garden is clearly meant to mirror the situation our parents (Adam and Eve) and the choice Jesus made to obey. He also faced the failure of his mates to stick to supporting Him in the garden, but on the cross he faced issues between Him and His Father, and great physical pain.

I'd agree with your general idea that we should celebrate the living ressurected Christ, but does that mean we should not remmber that he came as a baby, how He was murdered or anything else He did whilst on earth.

As for symbols, I think a cross is easier to use then an empty tomb but I don't attach any superstitious power ot it.

Do Mormons use the "fish" symbol at all? As in the greek word for fish Ichthus as menomic of Ieusos Xristos Theos Uios Soter, literally Jesus Christ God's Son Saviour?

Mormons have from the beginning, as far as I'm aware, sought to demonstrate their Christian faith in word and deed and not with any outward symbol. There is certainly an avoidance of any chance that such an ornamentation could become a modern-day Phylactery.

The Mormons have no fear of conversing of, learning of, testifying of, honoring, and reverencing the Crucifixion and the events leading up to it. Statements that the LDS people are trying to downplay the Sacrifice of the Saviour are downright erroneous at best.

The LDS position on the Sacrifice of our LORD and the message of John 3:16 is that this IS THE GOSPEL in which we believe. The first principle of the Gospel is NOT faith....

....it is faith in the LORD Jesus Christ.

-a-train

Mormons have from the beginning, as far as I'm aware, sought to demonstrate their Christian faith in word and deed and not with any outward symbol. There is certainly an avoidance of any chance that such an ornamentation could become a modern-day Phylactery.

The Mormons have no fear of conversing of, learning of, testifying of, honoring, and reverencing the Crucifixion and the events leading up to it. Statements that the LDS people are trying to downplay the Sacrifice of the Saviour are downright erroneous at best.

The LDS position on the Sacrifice of our LORD and the message of John 3:16 is that this IS THE GOSPEL in which we believe. The first principle of the Gospel is NOT faith....

....it is faith in the LORD Jesus Christ.

-a-train

I'd happily agree that outward symbols should be avioded, there are some churches that do avoid using symbols (even the cross). Symbols do tend to be unavoidable due to human nature to want short hand ways of saying things, wouldn't the angle Moroni in some ways be an LDS symbol?

Not sure if your actually accussing anyone of accussing LDS of downplaying the cruxifiction. (I don't know enough to make that kind of an accusation in general) I do notice that you place a heavier emphasis on the garden experience then other Christians do.

Wholheartedly agree that the first principle of the gospel is faith in the LORD Jesus Christ. (When He returns we will know the truth and stand as one (hopefully) as his redeemed people.)

There was in the early history of traditional Christianity a lot of paganism introduced. For example the Word "Easter" does not come from any Christian Tradition and is more involved in the worship of Baal, or the resurrection of Baal.

That a side. The resurrection of Christ was part of his gift of grace. The atonement was payment to overcome the effects of Sin and end the bands of hell that is death. The scriptures indicate that death and hell will give up all souls to Christ. He is L-rd of the living and the dead (death is another term for Hell). All mankind belong to Christ and because of that - every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Christ.

There are two important points to the resurrection of Christ:

first: It demonstrates that G-d has a body of flesh and bones (See Luke 24:39)

Second: It demonstrates that Jesus has power to raise all men (See 1Cor 15:22)

The Traveler

From the time of Joseph's first vision, the expierence of the LDS Church has been with a living resurrected Christ. Our minds are geared to a live Christ, not a dead one. That is not to say that we don't understand the purpose of His death nor fully appreciate it.

We speak and teach constantly of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Atonement began in Gethsemine and was completed on the cross. Many Christian do not teach this. In fact, some preach against it. To them, only the implement of his death is taken as a sign of His Atonement. It was on the cross where He stated that it was finished, but it began in Gethsemine where His agony brought forth the sweating of large drops of blood. LDS recognize the Atonement in it's entirity as His sacrifice for mankind, rather than just the last few hours.

Is the resurrection and the atonement the same?

Not really, but in the broader context of the word Atonement, it is part of it. In other words, the Atonement is all the Christ has, does, and will do to make man at-one-with God. In light of this meaning, the resurrection is a big part of that. We could not be brought to stand in the Presence of God without the resurrection.

-a-train

From the time of Joseph's first vision, the expierence of the LDS Church has been with a living resurrected Christ. Our minds are geared to a live Christ, not a dead one. That is not to say that we don't understand the purpose of His death nor fully appreciate it.

We speak and teach constantly of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Atonement began in Gethsemine and was completed on the cross. Many Christian do not teach this. In fact, some preach against it. To them, only the implement of his death is taken as a sign of His Atonement. It was on the cross where He stated that it was finished, but it began in Gethsemine where His agony brought forth the sweating of large drops of blood. LDS recognize the Atonement in it's entirity as His sacrifice for mankind, rather than just the last few hours.

Old Tex,

A living Christ is part of my faith experience. In the words of the hymn....

I serve a risen saviour, He's in the world today.

If the atonement is the sheding of blood for the remission of sins, then the scourging, beating and crown of thorns played a part, but the cruxifiction is crux of the event. In someways it could be said that preparing of spotless lamb was a necessary part of the atoning process. So the whole of His sinless life was a necessary part of the atonement.

As for Gethsemine my bible reads "sweat was like drops of blood". Luke 22:44. However the textual support for Luke 22:43-44 is very weak, it probably isn't in the original text of the gospel. USB4 (critical greek text) has it as ancient but definitely not part of the gospel. NA omits the verses altogether.

I don't think LDS members pay enough respect and show enough gratitude for the cross. Whenever I've heard LDS members in Sunday school or Elder's quorum talk about the sacrifice for sin, it always focuses on Gethsemane and bleeding from every pore...no mention of the cross. At all.

When someone does mention the cross, it's almost mumbled, like they're embarassed to be mentioning the cross since they obviously don't see it as the sacrifice for sin, just a necessary evil so Christ could die so he could be resurrected.

Makes me sick. And angry, too.

As for wearing the cross as jewelry or a ring or a shirt or whatever...If I had lived during the time when temple sacrifice was still practiced in Judaism, I wouldn't have worn a necklace with a golden pair of cherubim hanging from it to remind me of the Mercy Seat...the site where the sacrificial blood was sprinkled to appease Jehovah's wrath, nor would I wear a miniature sacrificial knife bracelet to remind me of the sacrifice on the Day of Atonement.

I do wish there was a statue of Christ on the cross, as moving and beautiful as the Christus statue (I have a 21" white marble version that is awesome to just sit and stare at). All in all, Mormons need to get over their cross-ophobia and start placing emphasis on the crucifixion when talking about the sacrifice that allows us to be at one with God.

Mosiah 3:7 and D&C 19 are the only scriptures anywhere that I've found that mention Gethsemane in any way connected with the sacrifice for sin...which is a self-contradiction because sacrificial animals were always killed and Jesus didn't die in Gethsemane (except spiritually when he was cut off from God and the Spirit).

Also, I don't focus on the tomb so much because the atonement was the sacrifice for sin, and that took place on the cross. In the Law of Moses, three days or so after the Passover, there was a "wave offering" where the people would take the firstfruits of their harvest of grain and wave it over their heads, lifting it high to symbolize Christ being the firstfruits of the resurrection, the first one "lifted up."

Anyway, most members haven't even read the Old Testament passages that detail the feasts and ordinances and rituals associated with redemption and atonement as foreshadowed in the Law of Moses...so they cling to Gethsemane since that's all they were taught growing up.

Pathetic. Really.

I don't discount the horror and agony of Gethsemane, but I don't try to make it something it obviously wasn't. That is, if you believe the scriptures... :hmmm:

Does anyone else find it odd that most members haven't read the Old Testament passages describing how redemption and atonement was made under the Law of Moses, if the atonement is the foundation of our religion? Wouldn't we want to learn as much as we can from the symbolism of the feasts and rituals that Jehovah--Jesus--commanded his covenant people to perform up until his death and resurrection?

<div class='quotemain'>

Do Mormons use the "fish" symbol at all? As in the greek word for fish Ichthus as menomic of Ieusos Xristos Theos Uios Soter, literally Jesus Christ God's Son Saviour?

The fish symbol is not common, but not forbidden...I personally think it is cool...I have heard that its origin is in the idea that when Christians were being heavily persecuted and two people met for the first time, if one was a Christian, through the course of the conversation they would casually scrape an arch (one half of the fish) in the dirt with their foot...if the other person was also a Christian, they would scrape their own arch in the opposite direction (completing the fish)...In this way, they knew they were both Christians and they could then speak freely...Has anyone else heard this idea? Would like to know for sure...if it's true its like a secret code...very spy-ish...I like it...

<div class='quotemain'>

Old Tex,

A living Christ is part of my faith experience. In the words of the hymn....

I serve a risen saviour, He's in the world today.

If the atonement is the sheding of blood for the remission of sins, then the scourging, beating and crown of thorns played a part, but the cruxifiction is crux of the event. In someways it could be said that preparing of spotless lamb was a necessary part of the atoning process. So the whole of His sinless life was a necessary part of the atonement.

As for Gethsemine my bible reads "sweat was like drops of blood". Luke 22:44. However the textual support for Luke 22:43-44 is very weak, it probably isn't in the original text of the gospel. USB4 (critical greek text) has it as ancient but definitely not part of the gospel. NA omits the verses altogether.

The idea that Christ bled in the garden from his pores is confirmed in modern revelation...D&C 19

I don't think LDS members pay enough respect and show enough gratitude for the cross. Whenever I've heard LDS members in Sunday school or Elder's quorum talk about the sacrifice for sin, it always focuses on Gethsemane and bleeding from every pore...no mention of the cross. At all.

When someone does mention the cross, it's almost mumbled, like they're embarassed to be mentioning the cross since they obviously don't see it as the sacrifice for sin, just a necessary evil so Christ could die so he could be resurrected.

What kind of ridiculous ward do you live in anyway? Perhaps this explains your problem. The Mormons I grew up with didn't think the Atonement was done in Gethsemane rather than Calvary.

The language I've typically heard growing up is something like this: 'We honor His birth. But without His death that birth would have been but one more birth. It was the Redemption, which He worked out in the Garden of Gethsemane and upon the cross of Calvary, which made His gift immortal, universal, and everlasting. His was a great atonement for the sins of all mankind. He is the Resurrection and the Life, ‘the firstfruits of them that slept'. Because of Him all men will be raised from the grave.' (Gordon B. Hinckley, missionary devotional, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, Dec. 15, 2002 view here)

Or: 'With His divine sonship, His sinless life, the shedding of His blood in the Garden of Gethsemane, His excruciating death on the cross and subsequent bodily Resurrection from the grave, He became the author of our salvation and made a perfect Atonement for all mankind.' (James E. Faust, “The Atonement: Our Greatest Hope,” October 2001 General Conference, Liahona, Jan 2002, 19–22 view here)

I was unable to locate any talk at LDS.org wherein the suffering of the Saviour in connection with the Atonement was mentioned, but the crucifixion ommitted. Perhaps you are in some apostate ward...

-a-train

I do wish there was a statue of Christ on the cross, as moving and beautiful as the Christus statue (I have a 21" white marble version that is awesome to just sit and stare at). All in all, Mormons need to get over their cross-ophobia and start placing emphasis on the crucifixion when talking about the sacrifice that allows us to be at one with God.

Does anyone else find it odd that most members haven't read the Old Testament passages describing how redemption and atonement was made under the Law of Moses, if the atonement is the foundation of our religion? Wouldn't we want to learn as much as we can from the symbolism of the feasts and rituals that Jehovah--Jesus--commanded his covenant people to perform up until his death and resurrection?

CrimsonKairos:

I can understand your awe of viewing the statue of Jesus. In the visitor center at Nauvoo, there are bench seats where you can sit and view Jesus. It is a very spiritual experience especially if you go there before you enter the Temple or even after you have been to the Temple.

I do believe that the Crucifixion and the Cross are becoming sacred. I say this because the Crucifixion and the Cross have been defiled by a lot of sects. Wanting people to feel more sensations of a different nature.

To give examples of this defilement: making a cross symbolic of the Crucifixion and replacing the man (Jesus) with the baby (Jesus), or replacing the nails with snakes, or placing Jesus upside down on the cross. And that is just the tip of the defilement of what has been done.

I agree that many people wear the Cross as symbolic of the Crucifixion. But there are many Catholics who were given a small Cross (made from simple metal) that represents their key to Heaven. We see in many fiction works where a religious emblem past from one generation to another and worn around the neck eventually becomes a key. (I am thinking in particular of Logan's Run and I know that there are others.)

[Does anyone else find it odd that most members haven't read the Old Testament passages describing how redemption and atonement was made under the Law of Moses, if the atonement is the foundation of our religion? Wouldn't we want to learn as much as we can from the symbolism of the feasts and rituals that Jehovah--Jesus--commanded his covenant people to perform up until his death and resurrection?]

Were these things addressed by Paul? I have read the Old Testament but I am not as familiar with Pearl of Great Price.

What kind of ridiculous ward do you live in anyway? Perhaps this explains your problem. The Mormons I grew up with didn't think the Atonement was done in Gethsemane rather than Calvary.

The language I've typically heard growing up is something like this: (quotes from prophets)

I was unable to locate any talk at LDS.org wherein the suffering of the Saviour in connection with the Atonement was mentioned, but the crucifixion ommitted. Perhaps you are in some apostate ward...

So you attend the ward where Pres. Hinckley and Pres. Faust speak regularly in Sunday school and Elder's quorum? a-train, you must be the luckiest Mormon I know. Myself, I don't go to a ward populated by prophets and apostles. As a sidenote, I've lived in two countries, visited eight others and lived in or visited over fifteen states (my dad was in the Air Force), so I think I have a pretty good sampling of the average member's understanding of the atonement.

You obviously misread my posts. I didn't say the GA's regularly ignore the cross, I said LDS members in Sunday school and Elder's quorum. I bet if you asked ten random people at a Stake conference what happened in Gethsemane, they'd tell you that Christ atoned for their sins there. Guaranteed. And that's what I'm lamenting.

Were these things addressed by Paul? I have read the Old Testament but I am not as familiar with Pearl of Great Price.

Paul does talk about much of the Law of Moses symbolism, particularly in Hebrews. However, the really good stuff is in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy...particularly Leviticus. That's one reason I loved McConkie's "Messiah Series." Through his six volume work, he explains in detail how the Law of Moses set the stage for and formed the culture around which Jesus lived and died. Awesome stuff!

CK, I think we have discussed this before but the way I see it the atonement was a process. Part of it was done in the garden with it culminating on the cross. I don't think you have the full atonement or payment for sin without the ultimate sacrifice of giving up His life.

My opinion.

Ben Raines

CK,

I'm not saying I live in a ward with GAs and I don't think your comments were about GAs. I'm saying that the people in my ward use the same language the GAs do. I don't have people in my ward rambling about how the Atonement was all done in Gethsemane. They, just like the GAs, speak of the crucifixion regularly. In taking up the subject of the Sacrifice of the Saviour, they talk about Calvary. I don't hear renditions of His Sacrifice that end with his arrest.

I just haven't witnessed the omission of Calvary from the Sacrifice of God's Only Begotten in the Church.

-a-train

You're lucky then. Seriously.

I'm confident that if you asked most members where Jesus suffered for our sins, they'd say Gethsemane. And not mention Calvary. Perhaps you live in a well-adjusted, open-minded, scripturally-fluent ward and if so, that's admirable.

My experience on two continents and in six states hasn't been as palatable as yours has been. :)

I love how there is not even any mention of Gethsemane in "The Living Christ" document issued by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve...yet the false traditions of our fathers (not leaders per se) persist.

CK,

I think your feelings are hurt on this topic. Forgive brother, forgive. Now breath easy. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Think of a place, a happy place. There is no contention there. The sun is bright and warm and you are on a beach. The soft waves caress your feet and the water is as clear as the air.

Ahhhh.

Now have a Sprite.

-a-train

<div class='quotemain'>

There was in the early history of traditional Christianity a lot of paganism introduced. For example the Word "Easter" does not come from any Christian Tradition and is more involved in the worship of Baal, or the resurrection of Baal.

That a side. The resurrection of Christ was part of his gift of grace. The atonement was payment to overcome the effects of Sin and end the bands of hell that is death. The scriptures indicate that death and hell will give up all souls to Christ. He is L-rd of the living and the dead (death is another term for Hell). All mankind belong to Christ and because of that - every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Christ.

Second: It demonstrates that Jesus has power to raise all men (See 1Cor 15:22)

The Traveler

Why is their an Easter Pageant at the Mesa Arizona Temple and not one in all LDS Wards?

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Second: It demonstrates that Jesus has power to raise all men (See 1Car 15:22)

The Traveler

Why is their an Easter Pageant at the Mesa Arizona Temple and not one in all LDS Wards?

I believe the pageant is not accurately named. If you were to attend the pageant I suspect that you would not find anything that employs many traditional Easter symbols (such as a special "new" outfit or any of the "spring" rituals. I think you would only find reference to the last week Jesus spent as a mortal - his death and resurrection. I believe all LDS wards play down tradition celebrations and rather teach ti principles I have pointed out.

LDS do not hold a Christ-mas either but the word Christmas is often used in relationship to the celebration of the birth of Jesus - Which we know did not happen in December - which by the way was when Baal was borne - but even us LDS types celebrate in December anyway - and in a manner more according to the worship of Baal - although we say the gifts simulate the gift of the Magi to the baby Jesus. Tradition has a lot of things mixed up. In my family I try to emphasize gifts to the poor and the fatherless.

Do you make any personal efforts to remember Jesus at Passover and in December - if so what do you do?

The Traveler

I don't think Jesus is offended in the manner that we celebrate him, only that we do so. (I personally think that he likes little green marshmallow Easter Bunnies! and Children!! Jelly Beans and Families!!!)

I do think that he is offended when people do not come to Church on Easter and celebrate the day with their non-member relatives and friends who celebrate with baskets of treats and dinner.

It is rather a miracle to watch an ordinary bush become a Christmas Tree. People celebrate because that is where their heart is. It's those sacrifices that are spiritual.

I am angry and frustrated when people return to Church the week after Easter and start up on the Resurrection/Atonement again. It is so fake, shallow, and meaningless.

So why can't we run two red carpets down the isles on Easter and have the little girls tossing rose pedals and the little boys following bearing the Scriptures. Place the scriptures on a white linen covered table with candles and invite members to come forward and read scriptures and offer a prayer or testimony. Is that wrong?

I do not slam the door shut in my neighbor's face on Sunday and pretend to love them Monday-Saturday.

Try living your life without celebrating your birthday, anniversary, etc. and pretty soon you will not be celebrating Sacrament, baby blessings, or anything else.

I believe the Easter Pageant at the Mesa Arizona Temple is accurately named and all enjoy the festivites that accompany it!!!

I don't think Jesus is offended in the manner that we celebrate him, only that we do so. (I personally think that he likes little green marshmallow Easter Bunnies! and Children!! Jelly Beans and Families!!!)

I do think that he is offended when people do not come to Church on Easter and celebrate the day with their non-member relatives and friends who celebrate with baskets of treats and dinner.

It is rather a miracle to watch an ordinary bush become a Christmas Tree. People celebrate because that is where their heart is. It's those sacrifices that are spiritual.

I am angry and frustrated when people return to Church the week after Easter and start up on the Resurrection/Atonement again. It is so fake, shallow, and meaningless.

So why can't we run two red carpets down the isles on Easter and have the little girls tossing rose pedals and the little boys following bearing the Scriptures. Place the scriptures on a white linen covered table with candles and invite members to come forward and read scriptures and offer a prayer or testimony. Is that wrong?

I do not slam the door shut in my neighbor's face on Sunday and pretend to love them Monday-Saturday.

Try living your life without celebrating your birthday, anniversary, etc. and pretty soon you will not be celebrating Sacrament, baby blessings, or anything else.

I believe the Easter Pageant at the Mesa Arizona Temple is accurately named and all enjoy the festivites that accompany it!!!

It appears to me that the L-rd is offended with those of ancient times that attended the festivities of Baal while living in the shadow of the covenants of G-d. Something about being "double minded" and serving two masters.

Personally I try to stay away from festivities that promote pride and selfishness - you know - the getting caught up in the costly apparel stuff - for birthdays, spring fashion and such things.

Just as a side note - It is my belief the L-rd is disapointed when people show up for an event (blessing, missionary home coming or fairwell) and do not care to attend the rest of the block meetings. Not that anyone should judge others - just the children of the covenants. For some we are blessed to just get them to a meeting.

The Traveler