Utah Accent Quiz on MormonHub

dahlia

Someone needs to do more learning about linguistics.  That test did not have Utah-specific words / pronunciations, one (mountain) wanted to imply that the glottal stop in place of the t was abnormal - it's not, it's actually more common than pronouncing it as a t.  Most of the rest were rural / southern vs urban / northern pronunciations.1  If they wanted Utah-specific, they should have included "fork" and "chimney" - those are just weirdly pronounced here.  (I got most of my pronunciation from upstate NY, and those two are just weird.)

1 The urban / agricultural regional pronunciation changes can be observed in pretty much any language spoken across a large enough region (e.g. Russian has it too).  Consonants are softened in agricultural (warm, rural, slower pace) climates; they are hardened in urban (colder, faster pace) climates.  Slurring (or eliding) is more common in agricultural areas, sharp enunciation more common in urban areas, etc.

1. Famlees are frev-r. (Pronunciation not listed)
  2. I've bin theenkin about doing my home teacheeng. (Pronunciation not listed)
  3. We hiked up Y moun'n yesterday. (Pronunciation not really listed; the "t" is completely swallowed, and shows up as a pause caused by a completely unvoiced glottal stop.)
  4. My favrit Utah groshree store is Macy's. (Not really.)
  5. My son tried to eat a cray-on in Nursery yesterday. (And he's 25, so...)
  6. Didja meh-zhr thuh water for thuh green Jell-o? (Pronunciation not quite listed)
  7. I wanted to bring yeh a casserole since yer sick. (Pronunciation not listed)
  8. I bought all the furniture for my apartment at a garage sayl.
  9. I hang all the quotes I get in Young Women's on my mirr'r. (Pronunciation not really listed. When I say "horror", it sounds like, um, something else.)
  10. There is a new pick-shr of the Savior hanging in the Relief Society room.

Says I have an investigator accent. I'm okay with that, though since both parents are from Utah and I have spent many years there, I kinda doubt it.

I feel that the Utah "accent" thing, as most people tend to view it, doesn't really exist much any longer. Not unless you're talking to a farmer from Vernal or something.

A lot of what's being suggested here is just universal lazy talk.

Edited by The Folk Prophet