How to drive zil crazy

pam

1 hour ago, mordorbund said:
13 hours ago, mordorbund said:

themself

@zil How do you feel about this word?

Jane Austen saw fit to use the singular "they", though admittedly she put it in the mouth of Mrs. Bennet, so perhaps that should be taken with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, I think "themself" perfectly exemplifies that daring Austen literary spirit. :)

The original quote (with the missing comma added!):

14 hours ago, mordorbund said:

Zil, hiding themself behind anonymity is the only thing keeping them safe.

I suppose @mordorbund could have been referring only to @Fether, and been uncertain of Fether's gender (doesn't seem that hard to remember, plus, it's in his profile), and so was trying to use forms of "they" in place of "it" (cuz humans don't like being "it" for some reason).  In which case, OK, fine, "themself".  Personally, I'm in favor of rephrasing to avoid weird words, full pluralization and applying it generically to multiple people, or doing a bit of gender-research. ;)

37 minutes ago, Vort said:

Jane Austen saw fit to use the singular "they", though admittedly she put it in the mouth of Mrs. Bennet, so perhaps that should be taken with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, I think "themself" perfectly exemplifies that daring Austen literary spirit. :)

But I could also go along with referring to mordorbund as "Jane" from now on.  MordorJane?  Janedorbund?

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Pretty sure the comma omission was intentional. Replace "themself" with "herself" and see if it doesn't scan okay without the comma.

Hmm.  Well, my gender is easy enough to discover too...  Intentional vagueness?

Anywho, if your interpretation is correct, anonymity isn't the only thing keeping me safe. <_<

4 minutes ago, zil said:

Hmm.  Well, my gender is easy enough to discover too...  Intentional vagueness?

Anywho, if your interpretation is correct, anonymity isn't the only thing keeping me safe. <_<

You're missing the point. If we're trying to drive zil crazy, why would be bother specifying their gender? Maybe we can get them to think of themself as genderless.

2 hours ago, zil said:

I suppose @mordorbund could have been referring only to @Fether, and been uncertain of Fether's gender (doesn't seem that hard to remember, plus, it's in his profile), and so was trying to use forms of "they" in place of "it" (cuz humans don't like being "it" for some reason). 

All is Well, i identify as both

1 hour ago, zil said:

Well, not since my husband died, anyway.

Can i  haha’ this???

Edited by Fether