Christmas Singing and Screaming

Jane_Doe

A few weeks ago in town there was interfaith Christmas singing event.  It was a HUGE success- my toddler and I showed up 15 minutes early, and there wasn't really even standing left.  But one of ushers saw us, and said "we have a spare seat upon in the front row, if you daughter wants to sit on your lap".  Very grateful, I followed the usher up.  The Episcopalian Cathedral we were in is hands down the most gorgeous church in town- beautiful 1800's stained glass, graceful arches, amazing candle displays, and fantastic acoustics so that everyone in the cathedral can hear the people in the front row.  

My daughter (who is an extremely timid child), found this all completely intimidating and when we went to sit down she screamed "NO!!!!! NO!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" at the top of her lungs..... remember what I said about those fantastic acoustics from the front row?

So so embarrassing.  And then on top of it, while she's doing her rag-doll tantrum, she's smack in the way of a grandpa who was filming his wife performing in the bell choir.   So so embarrassing.  Oh well, thankfully they were understanding about the whole thing.  Little girl settled down soon after (aided by a little distraction bribery), and three songs later was having good time.  Her favorite song was totally the Hallelujah Chorus.  

All around it was a fantastic night, even though the embarrassment.  Got to sing of my love of my Savior, hear other people's love too, and has a good millionth reminder of how grateful I am when someones else's kid screams louder than mine.  

Yay embarrassing Christmas stories!

My wife and I were new to the ward.  We had wife's brother/his wife/their 2 yr old living with us for a while.  They would let us take 2 yr old wild child girl to church.   

Ward Christmas party - we actually did Santa that year.  Big line of kids, we get in line, the 2 yr old thinks "screw this" and runs past them all and jumps on Santa's lap.  (We'd been in the ward 2 months.)

A few weeks prior, this was the wild child who came running up the aisle during the sacrament and yelled "UNCLE [NT] I WENT PEE-PEE ON THE POTTY!!!" at the top of her lungs.

[The story ends well - said wild child got accepted to the U, and is now off posting the rockin'est selfies of any college chick ever.]

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

A few weeks prior, this was the wild child who came running up the aisle during the sacrament and yelled "UNCLE [NT] I WENT PEE-PEE ON THE POTTY!!!" at the top of her lungs.

One reason I love my ward: stuff like that is at least a monthly occurrence.  (We have ~14 2 year old's).