Disfellowshipping

Holly3278

Hi everyone. I have some questions about disfellowshipping. I hope you all can help me understand it better.

• Would someone with less experience with the Church be more likely or less likely to be disfellowshipped?
  • How does one get forgiven if they are disfellowshipped? How does one come back into full communion with the Church?
  • What are some serious sins that would result in disfellowshipping?
  • Are there lesser forms of punishment for serious sins than disfellowshipping? If so, what are they?
Anyway, that is all the questions that I have for now. Any help in answering these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone. I have some questions about disfellowshipping. I hope you all can help me understand it better.

• Would someone with less experience with the Church be more likely or less likely to be disfellowshipped?
  • How does one get forgiven if they are disfellowshipped? How does one come back into full communion with the Church?
  • Are there lesser forms of punishment for serious sins than disfellowshipping? If so, what are they?
Anyway, that is all the questions that I have for now. Any help in answering these questions will be greatly appreciated.

One has to wonder why you are asking these questions. I remember in one of John Bytheway's talks to the youth he mentions how some youth ask what the "limit" is before they get in trouble for what ever it is that they are testing the limits on. He said it's as if they are asking how "bad" they can be so that they can "operate" right up next to the line. Of course this don't apply to the youth only. Sometimes I feel like I get too close to the line myself.

But with that said, it's different in different cases. The Bishop is the one to make such decisions. If you have some concerns about someone you know and care about I would suggest you have a talk with him and tell him your concerns. He's very good about keeping confidences. He is your friend.

<div class='quotemain'> Hi everyone. I have some questions about disfellowshipping. I hope you all can help me understand it better.

One has to wonder why you are asking these questions. I remember in one of John Bytheway's talks to the youth he mentions how some youth ask what the "limit" is before they get in trouble for what ever it is that they are testing the limits on. He said it's as if they are asking how "bad" they can be so that they can "operate" right up next to the line. Of course this don't apply to the youth only. Sometimes I feel like I get too close to the line myself.

But with that said, it's different in different cases. The Bishop is the one to make such decisions. If you have some concerns about someone you know and care about I would suggest you have a talk with him and tell him your concerns. He's very good about keeping confidences. He is your friend.

Thanks for answering my post. My reason for asking these questions is because I am afraid I may be disfellowshipped for sins I committed while I was away from the Church.

Thanks for answering my post. My reason for asking these questions is because I am afraid I may be disfellowshipped for sins I committed while I was away from the Church.

If you have done some things that you feel are serious, I would advise you to talk with your Bishop as soon as you can see him and in the meantime don't allow yourself to repeat your "sins".

Bishops are special people who can help you in a repentence process. To be clear it is not the Bishop who can "forgive sins". Only Jesus Christ can do that based on one's repentence, but the Bishop is Christ's representative in your Ward and that is the place to begin.

As far as anything you and your Bishop discusses, and whatever you and he decide, will be known by only him and his counselors. Members of your Ward will not know.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'> Hi everyone. I have some questions about disfellowshipping. I hope you all can help me understand it better.

again...as a former Bishop...I still suggest you speak with yours instead of trying to figure out whats gonna happen....your Bishop thru the promptings of the spirit will know what to do....

Pal,

I'm going to jump right in here. I haven't reviewed all of your previous posts, just going by what I remember, which may be incorrect. So feel free to correct me.

It hasn't been that long since you joined the church - maybe within the past year?

For some reason - any reason - you stopped going to church.

Now, you want to return to church, but you are living in a state of fear, and this is keeping you from returning to church.

Whatever it is you have done, or whatever sin you think or know you have committed, please don't be afraid.

Know that you can call and make an appointment with your Bishop or Branch President, and talk to him.

He will not parade you up to the pulpit on the following Sunday and say "Look! See what this sinner Paladingirl has done!! Paladingirl is now disfellowshipped."

Whatever you tell him will be held in confidence. There are consequences for sin, but he (and others) will help you through them. He is the only one who will be able to tell you whether what you have done is serious enough for disfellowship.

The only way to stop being afraid is to make the appointment and keep it.

So Go Do It!

My prayers are with you!

Thank you all for your replies. I plan to talk to the bishop tomorrow, preferably before Sacrament Meeting. I hope that I am not disfellowshipped for my sins but if I am, I will do what I have to do to be in full communion with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints again.

Don't be discouraged if the Bishop is not able to set an appointment with you tomorrow. Sundays are very busy for Bishop and their schedule is tight. He will have someone who sets his appointments. He will be called the Executive Secretary. If you can ask who he is and have him make an appointment for you with the Bishop it will go much smoother.

My Bishop sets Tuesday and Thursday evenings for appointments. Yours may also. I just don't want you to be disappointed if he can't make time for a couple of days. Just remember that he needs to allot time for everyone on his schedule so he can get to everyone and give every member his full attention when does meet with a member.

Thank you all for your replies. I plan to talk to the bishop tomorrow, preferably before Sacrament Meeting. I hope that I am not disfellowshipped for my sins but if I am, I will do what I have to do to be in full communion with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints again.

go and talk with him....you don't know whats going to happen.... :)

<div class='quotemain'>

go and talk with him....you don't know whats going to happen.... :)

I plan to go talk with him in the morning if he has time. If not, I'll set up an appointment with him.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

lets us know how it goes..... :)

I will. :)

I hope you wre able to talk with him or at least made an appt to see him this week....

I was able to talk with him today. He did not punish me for my sins and instead he just gave me advice and told me to come back to him if my sins bother me again. He also admonished me to not offer prayers in public until I have my sins under control which will probably be within the next few months according to him. Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm just glad it went well! :D

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

lets us know how it goes..... :)

I will. :)

I hope you wre able to talk with him or at least made an appt to see him this week....

I was able to talk with him today. He did not punish me for my sins and instead he just gave me advice and told me to come back to him if my sins bother me again. He also admonished me to not offer prayers in public until I have my sins under control which will probably be within the next few months according to him. Anyway, thanks everyone! I'm just glad it went well! :D

glad to hear it went well for you....thats why i was encouraging you to see him.... :)

It is honestly a case by case basis. to be frank, I am so greatful that the Lord did not see fit to excommunicate me for the serious things of which i did in my youth, I am greatful that only a couple months of disfellowshipping were required.

The thing I don't get about disfellowshipping is when they turn their backs, cross their arms and mutter Klingon curses. What's up with that? Does this also mean they won't help in any barn raisings?

I hope that it's clear to everyone that you have your tongue in your cheek when you say this, Moksha.

It should be noted that Disfellowshipping is in no way designed to get rid of people. I cannot say this emphatically enough:

THERE IS NO FUNCTION OF THE LORD'S CHURCH WITH ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN BRINGING PEOPLE INTO THE FOLD OF CHRIST AND IN REDEEMING THEM FROM SIN AND THE WAGES THEREOF.

This includes excommunication and disfellowshipping.

These two actions are used only in the deliverance of God's people from the violation covenants consensually and freely entered into.

It is good to hear that you have met with your bishop and all is going well. The counsel you have been given is to the end that you will not actually further seperate yourself from God. Once you are fully redeemed from your transgression, you can further engage in the work of God and take upon you the further covenants preparitory to entering into His Presence. However, if you were to go forward in that work and in making those covenants without first taking the necessary steps of repentance, you would be in a worse standing with God than you are now. This is why you must first go through this process.

GOD BLESS

-a-train

It should be noted that Disfellowshipping is in no way designed to get rid of people. I cannot say this emphatically enough:

THERE IS NO FUNCTION OF THE LORD'S CHURCH WITH ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN BRINGING PEOPLE INTO THE FOLD OF CHRIST AND IN REDEEMING THEM FROM SIN AND THE WAGES THEREOF.

This includes excommunication and disfellowshipping.

-a-train

I very much join with you in your statements above. At baptism we make covenants with the Lord and in doing so we get on that straight and narrow path that leads to eternal life. It's a very long path. Sometimes we step off and partaking the sacrament gives us the opportunity to self correct and get back on the path.

But sometimes one goes so far off the path that they begin to bog down in the ditch and needs help getting unstuck and out of the mud. And this is what Disiplanary Councils are for. To help devise a plan to help a brother or a sister to get unstuck from their practices that is keeping them off the path and in the muddy ditch because he or she will never make it to the end of the path as long as they remain in the ditch.

Disfellowshippment is a temporary "time out" where the Bishop helps one get the mud off so they can get back on the path. It is never a "punishment". It is a time of "suspension" and "evaluation" with the goal of restoring one to where they were.

I have been involved in a number of these councils and every time the individual developed into a better person with a stronger testimony than they had before. That's why the Lord has established these Councils in His Church. They are the means whereby those needing help with serious transgressions may be helped by those whose calling it is to help.

One time when I was traveling I walked down to the car rental at a small airport. At the car rental a man was very upset because the exact car he ordered from the rental was not available. The young girl behind the counter was in tears trying to help the man and all the time he screamed obsenities at her. I took all I could of the encounter and turned to the person behind me and said aloud enough for all to hear - "You have to wonder about the intelligence of someone in need that gets angry at the onlly person that can help them."

The man calmed down and took keys to a car and left. When I got to the counter I asked if they had a car for me - the same young lady looked up at me and said she had a special car for me. My cheep little compact car turned out to be a 5.0 Mustang convertable. Sweet!

Point 1. Never put off being kind and accepting of those that work hard to help you.

Point 2. Having a helpful and accepting attitude has rewards beyond your expectations.

The Traveler