Fountain pen frenzy thread

NeuroTypical

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 1/14/2018 at 3:37 PM, NeuroTypical said:

GAH!  Zil, what have you done to me?  I was sorely beset by a sudden desire to practice my penmanship during sacrament meeting.  This is not normal!

image.png.9bb8f9dbc4c550c93e15f1bd035b52c6.png

Neur, when I first saw this my mind translated it to sloppy notes. Later with a clearer picture on my lap top, I see you were writing the alphabet over and over which is even funnier!  Might I suggest sketchnoting or zentangle for your doodling urges? 

"Zentangle" - the shape of pizza slices served in Buddhist middle school cafeterias.

And it's not just the alphabet over and over, it's the alphabet over and over with a different letter capitalized each time.  

(Still not happy about this.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 1/14/2018 at 6:37 PM, NeuroTypical said:

GAH!  Zil, what have you done to me?  I was sorely beset by a sudden desire to practice my penmanship during sacrament meeting.  This is not normal!

image.png.9bb8f9dbc4c550c93e15f1bd035b52c6.png

You could've at least written the alphabet in the "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" order to make it more like note-taking rather than scribberish.  ;)

13 minutes ago, sjwaz84 said:

I enjoy a good writing instrument, but the most expensive one I have bought  is a pilot metropolitan. I’ve had bought sets to learn calligraphy but never felt comfortable with the pens it came with. I have been eyeing a Lamey but never took the plunge.

Foo on calligraphy.  Just plain writing is enough of a reason.  Take the plunge.  Take the plunge. :D Your Metro needs a friend.  And some Rhodia paper to play on... And more ink!  It's thirsty.  Very, very thirsty. :lol:

Guest LiterateParakeet
4 hours ago, sjwaz84 said:

I enjoy a good writing instrument, but the most expensive one I have bought  is a pilot metropolitan. I’ve had bought sets to learn calligraphy but never felt comfortable with the pens it came with. I have been eyeing a Lamey but never took the plunge.

I agree with Anatess, your pilot needs a buddy!  You can use fountain pens to write anything you want.  I have a Pilot Metro, great pen.  I also have some other pens, but my favorite pen of all is my Lamy Safari!  Give it a try.  Welcome to the madness. :)  

5 hours ago, zil said:

Foo on calligraphy.  Just plain writing is enough of a reason.  Take the plunge.  Take the plunge. :D Your Metro needs a friend.  And some Rhodia paper to play on... And more ink!  It's thirsty.  Very, very thirsty. :lol:

Lol, this is true! I have an extensive pen collection for scrapbooking, coloring and anything else I can think of to use them. 

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I agree with Anatess, your pilot needs a buddy!  You can use fountain pens to write anything you want.  I have a Pilot Metro, great pen.  I also have some other pens, but my favorite pen of all is my Lamy Safari!  Give it a try.  Welcome to the madness. :)  

I was eyeing the Lamy al-star in the 2017 limited edition color, although the 2016 limited edition is the one I really wanted ... may have to find a way to get both!

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, sjwaz84 said:

I was eyeing the Lamy al-star in the 2017 limited edition color, although the 2016 limited edition is the one I really wanted ... may have to find a way to get both!

Oh yeah, you can't go wrong with Al-stars. I love those too.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I'm still getting used to the flat barrel.  I don't use it as often as my Lamy Studio.

Yeah, I know it's not for everyone, but for me the grip is my favorite thing about my Lamys. 

15 hours ago, zil said:

Preeeeetttttyyyyy.  The one on the left is the one I have. :)  I have F, EF, and 1.1 stub nibs for it. :D   Hooray for your kids.

(You know that cardboard ring is supposed to come off the one on the left, right?)

Do you know that the little bugger as tiny as it is have the word REMOVE in it in different languages?  :D

Yeah.  My oldest son got home, loaded up his pen and started filling his Dungeon-Master notebook with notes and maps.  He now wants another pen so he doesn't have to unload the pen to switch pen colors - he got a few colored inks.  His brother got home and took MY pen and tested out ink colors.  He took all night to decide what ink to load his pen with for school the next day.  It came down to rolling his D&D dice...

We tested different nibs at the store.  That's the cool thing about this pen, you can easily swap nibs!  Interestingly, both my kids chose the medium nib (don't know what it's called) that is the exact same one as mine.

Edited by anatess2

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Yeah.  My oldest son got home, loaded up his pen and started filling his Dungeon-Master notebook with notes and maps.  He now wants another pen so he doesn't have to unload the pen to switch pen colors - he got a few colored inks.  His brother got home and took MY pen and tested out ink colors.  He took all night to decide what ink to load his pen with for school the next day.  It came down to rolling his D&D dice...

The ink rabbit hole is deep and filled with lots and lots of side passage ways. :D