I seem to remember reading somewhere on here a few years ago, in the context of a new temple being announced for the Salt Lake valley, that there would now be a bus route that would take you past 4 or 5 temples. I've looked for the post but haven't been able to find it. Does anyone know if there is such a bus route and what are its details? I'm asking on behalf of a good friend who will be in Utah in about 10 days.

41 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere on here a few years ago, in the context of a new temple being announced for the Salt Lake valley, that there would now be a bus route that would take you past 4 or 5 temples. I've looked for the post but haven't been able to find it. Does anyone know if there is such a bus route and what are its details? I'm asking on behalf of a good friend who will be in Utah in about 10 days.

Great idea!

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

IMO, you get on a bus in northern Utah and it'll take you 10 days to get past 4 or 5 temples.  Rent a car for a day, start with the earliest session at one of them and you can do a session at all 5 before the last one closes.  (Just don't start before May 20th, and this assumes none of the ones on or near your route are closed, because you have to add an hour+ in wait time when any Utah temple is closed.  Other temples may be closed for cleaning during this time, so check the Church's temple pages.)

If all you want to do is drive past them, I'm going to be bold and suggest that you can hit every one of them in a single day.  Now I'll go check that theory...  OK, you'll need to start in Logan (or St. George) - either is nice, get a hotel for the night and start out first thing in the morning. :)  Depending on how long you stare at any given one of them, you could even hit the extra two in a single 24-hour period - I recommend fiddling with routes - both are somewhat inconvenient for inserting into either route below.  From Ogdon to Provo or maybe Payson isn't hard to hit in a day.

1. Part One, 3 hours 36 minutes drive time (click for google map)
    1. Logan Utah Temple
    2. Brigham City Temple
    3. Ogden Utah Temple
    4. Bountiful Utah Temple
    5. Salt Lake Temple
    6. Jordan River Temple
    7. Oquirrh Mountain Temple
    8. Draper Utah Temple
    9. Mount Timpanogos Temple
    10. Provo Utah Temple
  2. Part Two, 4 hours 55 minutes drive time (click for google map)
    1. Provo City Center Temple
    2. Payson Utah Temple
    3. Manti Utah Temple
    4. Cedar City Utah Temple
    5. St. George Utah Temple
  3. Temples you'll need an extra day or a lot more time to hit:
    1. Vernal Utah Temple
    2. Monticello Utah Temple

Hope that helps your friend. :)

On a bus?  I don't even want to think about it.

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Thanks  @zil I've emailed this to my friend a moment ago. I appreciate the time you'ev put into this. 

You might tell your friend that if he is going to drive, and on a weekday, traffic is heavy going toward Salt Lake (even as far north as Ogden and south as Provo) before and at the start of the work day, and going away from Salt Lake at the end of the work day.  Thus, if he's based in Salt Lake, the easiest thing (drive wise) would be to head away from Salt Lake at the start of the work day and return at the end of the work day (or just not drive during those times - if there's some way to swing that).

(To a degree, this will be true of any metropolitan area - people come in to work and leave to go home - but in my experience, Salt Lake is the worst of them in Utah.)

On 4/28/2018 at 9:58 AM, zil said:

IMO, you get on a bus in northern Utah and it'll take you 10 days to get past 4 or 5 temples.  Rent a car for a day, start with the earliest session at one of them and you can do a session at all 5 before the last one closes.  (Just don't start before May 20th, and this assumes none of the ones on or near your route are closed, because you have to add an hour+ in wait time when any Utah temple is closed.  Other temples may be closed for cleaning during this time, so check the Church's temple pages.)

If all you want to do is drive past them, I'm going to be bold and suggest that you can hit every one of them in a single day.  Now I'll go check that theory...  OK, you'll need to start in Logan (or St. George) - either is nice, get a hotel for the night and start out first thing in the morning. :)  Depending on how long you stare at any given one of them, you could even hit the extra two in a single 24-hour period - I recommend fiddling with routes - both are somewhat inconvenient for inserting into either route below.  From Ogdon to Provo or maybe Payson isn't hard to hit in a day.

1. Part One, 3 hours 36 minutes drive time (click for google map)
    1. Logan Utah Temple
    2. Brigham City Temple
    3. Ogden Utah Temple
    4. Bountiful Utah Temple
    5. Salt Lake Temple
    6. Jordan River Temple
    7. Oquirrh Mountain Temple
    8. Draper Utah Temple
    9. Mount Timpanogos Temple
    10. Provo Utah Temple
  2. Part Two, 4 hours 55 minutes drive time (click for google map)
    1. Provo City Center Temple
    2. Payson Utah Temple
    3. Manti Utah Temple
    4. Cedar City Utah Temple
    5. St. George Utah Temple
  3. Temples you'll need an extra day or a lot more time to hit:
    1. Vernal Utah Temple
    2. Monticello Utah Temple

Hope that helps your friend. :)

On a bus?  I don't even want to think about it.

Well he did only ask about the ones in the Salt Lake Valley.  :)

1 minute ago, pam said:

Well he did only ask about the ones in the Salt Lake Valley.  :)

Yeah, but why limit yourself to a slow, ugly, boring bus ride that takes all day to get you to the SLV temples when you can rent a car and drive through some beautiful areas, see more temples, and stay at each location for as much or as little time as you want? :)

Back in the day when there was only one temple in Australia we used to do a long 12 hour bus ride through the night from our home city in Melbourne up to the temple in Sydney, arriving there shortly before 6:00 am, stay at the temple for about 6 hours, then take the bus back again, arriving back in Melbourne around midnight, and then be at church 9 hours later.