Installing 32 bit software on 64 bit computer

Sunday21

I tried to install 32 bit software on a 64 bit computer. From what I understand much of the software installed on 64 bit computers is 32 bit. I got an error saying ‘can’t install 32 bit software on 64 bit computer. Both the software and the computer are a few years old. Do anyone of you clever people know of a work around?

What OS?  Windows 7?  Windows 10?  Not Windows?

Whose computer?  Yours or your employer's?

Is your user account an administrator on the computer?

Did you run the installer with admin privileges?

If willing to share, what software (name and version number)?

The software is Dragon Naturally Speaking version 9. I am not sure what version the computer is. I can ask. The computer is owned by a graduate student so I need to tell her exactly what I need to know as well as how she can find out. If we know what we need to know, I cam email her.

Graduate Students are well meaning and kind but are easily crushed in spirit so I handle them with care! 

5 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

The software is Dragon Naturally Speaking version 9. I am not sure what version the computer is. I can ask. The computer is owned by a graduate student so I need to tell her exactly what I need to know as well as how she can find out. If we know what we need to know, I cam email her.

Graduate Students are well meaning and kind but are easily crushed in spirit so I handle them with care! 

That's a very old answer and it references Vista specifically, but i'd guess the limitations extend to any subsequent Windows versions released since.

Perhaps they could upgrade Dragon?  Version 9 is extremely old.  i suppose you might be able to install a 32-bit Windows on something like VirtualBox or VMWare and then do Dragon inside of that - but that is probably more trouble than it's worth.  My guess is they could get a newer version with some academic discounts for not too much.

How nice of you to help her!  

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5269/~/compatibility-with-64-bit-operating-systems

• Version 9 and 10.0 cannot be installed on 64-bit Windows Vista operating systems and will prompt the user with an error message stating the operating system is not supported.

You could try Windows XP mode (if it's Windows 7 - not sure if XP mode is an option in later versions of Windows).  It wasn't hard, but you have to have the patience to read, understand, and follow online instructions (and in my experience, most computer users decline).  A newer version of Dragon might be an easier option (if there is a newer version).

I have 16-bit software running in XP Mode, but here's an important note: Dragon needs access to the hardware.  In theory, XP Mode will translate for it, but there's no guarantee it will work.

XP Mode for Windows 7

Looks like later versions of Windows don't support it as easily, but there are hacks - google if needed.

If I could tag onto this thread...

I was recently asked what my favorite video game from my youth was.  I told them.  We had to look it up because it isn't in business anymore.

I was interested to find out that it and its sequel were available for download as abandonware.  The problem is that it's so old that it was only available on DOS.

Is there any way to install a DOS game onto Windows 10?

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Is there any way to install a DOS game onto Windows 10?

First, I would just try it - I know lots of people who are running DOS apps.  They usually don't need to be installed, just copy the files and run the EXE.

Another option would be to install a VM.  I've never tried installing any VMs other than XP Mode and an android VM - that uses Oracle VM VirtualBox, which appears more generic and might allow installation of DOS (assuming you can find a floppy drive and viable floppies - or a download :D ).

Another option would be to set up a dual boot computer, where the other system is DOS.  Or buy an old computer and just install DOS on it.

Those are all the options I can think of.  The "old computer and just DOS" option seems the easiest.  Good luck finding a green screen. ;)

27 minutes ago, zil said:

First, I would just try it - I know lots of people who are running DOS apps.  They usually don't need to be installed, just copy the files and run the EXE.

Another option would be to install a VM.  I've never tried installing any VMs other than XP Mode and an android VM - that uses Oracle VM VirtualBox, which appears more generic and might allow installation of DOS (assuming you can find a floppy drive and viable floppies - or a download :D ).

Another option would be to set up a dual boot computer, where the other system is DOS.  Or buy an old computer and just install DOS on it.

Those are all the options I can think of.  The "old computer and just DOS" option seems the easiest.  Good luck finding a green screen. ;)

Someone wanting to play Zork???

On 6/2/2018 at 7:49 AM, Sunday21 said:

I tried to install 32 bit software on a 64 bit computer. From what I understand much of the software installed on 64 bit computers is 32 bit. I got an error saying ‘can’t install 32 bit software on 64 bit computer. Both the software and the computer are a few years old. Do anyone of you clever people know of a work around?

The only workaround I could think of is to go all out and install a 32-bit version of Windows.  But who wants to do that unless they really, really need this specific software?