Instagram Account Shares NASTY Photos of Mormon Missionary Meals

Guest Scott
On 8/3/2018 at 8:34 PM, Godless said:

My sister's family is about to spend 6 months in Indonesia. I got her an Indonesian cookbook for her birthday and now I really want to look through it. I bet there are some killer snake recipes in there.

The food in Indonesia is delicious (I have been there).  It's among my favorite and much better than some of the nasty food in places like the UK and Australia.

Edited by Scott

Guest Scott

The Elder eating fried crickets actually said he liked them, and thought they tasted like potato chips. 

The ones I have eaten were more like tortilla chips rather than potato chips.

Other foods I have eaten that are actually quite good:

Grubs actually taste pretty good.  They have a kind of nutty flavor, but with a texture more like pudding in a soft shell (but with a nutty rather than sweet taste).

Hornets are actually delicious, raw or cooked (unlike grasshoppers-those are bitter when raw, especially the black juice).

The termites (raw) we ate tasted good and were like oily lemmon in texture/flavor.

I'd rather eat any of the above than pineapple on a pizza.

Edited by Scott

17 hours ago, anatess2 said:

In an interview whose objective is to "try this Korean delicacy" and a promotion for a movie, the guest is not expected to pretend to like something to be polite.  He's expected to try the food and tell the truth of whether he likes it or not.  The COOL part is that he TRIED the food.  He's not expected to swallow it if it tastes bad.

We are not discussing an interview we are discussing missionaries being served someone food in their home.

17 hours ago, anatess2 said:

As far as missionaries coming to my house and eating my food, he's not expected to force himself to eat something he can't stomach.  We're cultured enough to understand it's not normal to find balut where these missionaries are from.  Just like you shouldn't expect a Filipino to swallow rare beef if he can't stomach it.  In the Philippines, eating rare beef could kill you.

Except we are not in the philippines and rare beef in America won't kill you.

I went by this rule of thumb on my mission. If it is good enough for the native population and doesn't kill them I can and will eat it if they serve it to me.

22 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

I have to admit, the idea behind the article made me nervous for the same reason it does for you guys. I had meals I didn't like as a missionary, and you better believe the people feeding me had no clue about it. That's just basic politeness and gratitude for the gift given. But I just went through the Instagram posts, and I did not find any that were disrespectful. A lot of them show missionaries at street vendors talking about food they bought themselves. Even the ones we would consider weird by American standards (brains, balut, fried insects) were often also described favorably by the people posting them. The Elder eating fried crickets actually said he liked them, and thought they tasted like potato chips. The point of the posts, at least what I picked up on, was odd foods people have eaten not nasty foods we had to choke down. Very few of them were in members homes, and those few that were frequently had the smiling members with them so despite my initial reservations, I think this site is Kosher...well Mormon Kosher😉.

I still haven't gone to look at this page, but I like your description.

An instagram account sharing some interesting, unique food missionaries eat is something that fascinates me, were it done in the right spirit. 

A mocking one... nope.

My SiL served in the Philippines. She's rather in love with a lot of the cuisine now. There was one thing she ate (can't for the life of me remember what it was) that is definitely considered "gross" by Utah/Idaho standards, but she and her companion said they went out of their way to get it and try it just to say they tried it.

Edited by Backroads

57 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

If it's branded you overcooked it.

There was a Facebook poll today on how you liked your steak (1 being the bloody one and so forth from there) I put "2"... and I felt rather ashamed for it. I may as well char in in the fire if I''m voting for a 2.