BYU-Provo and tithes

anatess2

17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

The insinuation is inconsistent.  They're both Church owned schools.  Why would they care about tithing faithfulness for one school and not the other?

The discussion thread was their kids not getting into BYU at all.  I think they ended up going to one of the Utah State Universities.

17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

What I do know is that the academic standards of admission for Provo are higher than for Idaho.  This is because Provo is meant for people who have a greater potential to continue into advanced degrees.

The primary thrust of turning Rick's College into BYU-Idaho was so that more students (even those with slightly less stellar academic credentials) could still have the benefit of a religion-centered university-level education.

Is BYU-H the same as BYU-I?  I heard the H campus is awesome.

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The discussion thread was their kids not getting into BYU at all.  I think they ended up going to one of the Utah State Universities.

BYU schools do have some competition.  State Universities usually do not.

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Is BYU-H the same as BYU-I?  I heard the H campus is awesome.

No.  Last I heard (admittedly, it was a long time ago) BYU-H is not actually a university.  It is an extension office of sorts for special studies that is only accredited by being associated with BYU-Provo.  Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, Carborendum said:

No.  Last I heard (admittedly, it was a long time ago) BYU-H is not actually a university.  It is an extension office of sorts for special studies that is only accredited by being associated with BYU-Provo.  Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't see anything on the BYU-Hawaii site that suggests this. The school has its own president. Perhaps it started out as an extension, but it looks and sounds and smells like an independent university, not an extension.

9 hours ago, Vort said:

I can't see anything on the BYU-Hawaii site that suggests this. The school has its own president. Perhaps it started out as an extension, but it looks and sounds and smells like an independent university, not an extension.

I see what you mean.

http://academics.byuh.edu/

I look at this list and see a whole lot more than I saw many years ago.  Yet, at the same time, something about it says it isn't a complete university.  Perhaps it is more of a liberal arts version of BYU?  The technical departments don't seem well represented.

It is described as an "undergraduate university" -- like BYU Idaho.  So, that's part of it.  But BYU-I has nearly 20,000 students.  BYU-H 2,500.  Somehow, I think BYU-H isn't really all that we tend to think of when we think of "university".

That said, it is apparently a fully accredited and independent university.

Edited by Guest

On 10/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, anatess2 said:

The LDS can create a school system much like the Catholics do - all community-started and funded - especially in places with large LDS population.  It would be a private institution owned by an LDS group and affiliated with the Church as far as oversight goes.  These schools would not need to use tithes.  I believe it is doable especially with the number of LDS children who do not avail of the public school system.  A private LDS college much like Notre Dame for the Catholics is also doable with the help of benefactors.  South Virginia University is such a college with Marriott as the benefactor.  I'm not sure if the Church discourages LDS schools or if none of them crop up due to cultural reasons.  Places like the Philippines would jump at the chance at opening an LDS K-12 school instead of sending their kids to the Catholic School next-door!

We should set up a Third Hour University. It's probably a better use of our excess funds than $25,000 bets.