So, we had the missionaries over for dinner

Guest MormonGator

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

Goodwill had a couple of martini shakers for $2 each. I could send him one. 

Now that you mention it, I'm wondering does that have special seals on it that won't degrade with exposure to alcohol?

5 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Well, in his letter last Monday, he mentioned that he's running low on toilet paper and he's not happy with the limited amount of kitchenware. 

Back in 2001 or 2002 we had an Elder who brought his own bread machine, cookware, & flatware. His identical twin did the same at his mission on the other side of the world. I & my VT/HT couple (who are also my BFF) supplied him with raw foods to cook. Flour & yeast are rather cheap - so we gave him the makings for meals.

I had signed up to feed them along with a couple who were investigating the church. This Elder asked if I would change the dinner date to their P day and he would come over and fix the dinner. Blew me away when he showed up with is cookware ~ drum roll please ~ A medium large Wok, a single burner that used a small propane tank, electric rice cooker and his Professional Knife set which was all rolled up in a beautiful leather and satin carrier. I had bought all the fresh vegetables, and chicken breasts w/skin and bones that he had asked for. I already had rice- like 50 pounds of the pearl rice and a 25 gallon container of soy sauce about half full.[my ex was 1/2 Japanese & his Mom had taught me how to cook the foods he liked] He stopped the bread machine after its' kneading cycle, and I formed the soft bread sticks. The rice was cooking away in the machine.

He enlisted his companion & the couples help in slicing the vegetables, he skinned and thin sliced the chicken, and then in front of all of us AT the table, he cooked the most delicious chicken stir fry I have ever eaten, and believe me I have eaten a lot of different styles at a lot of different homes and restaurants.

The next time I fed him and his companion I made them my Mom's recipe for Beef Stew. The gravy is always thick- and it is served with still-warm-from-the-oven yeast bread rolls or this time I made large soft bread sticks made with olive oil and added fresh rosemary. I didn't have an electric bread machine. What I had was an ancient Oster Kitchen Center w/the works - that I used to make from scratch bread. Back then was the beginning of my inability to mix and knead over 4 cups of flour into bread. My BFF's oldest son taught me how to adapt my Mom's White Bread recipe and use his Osker *Wonder Machine* [which I inherited when he passed not quite a year before this dinner].

@askandanswerHave him ask the RS Sisters to ALSO supply them with toilet paper, and that he needs to inform his Mission President and the Ward Mission Leader of the motley set of kitchenware that is there. Oh, also the RS - that should get some results!

6 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Well, in his letter last Monday, he mentioned that he's running low on toilet paper and he's not happy with the limited amount of kitchenware. 

Edited by Iggy
double posted

9 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Letters addressed to Son of the Enlightened One will reach him from any country, even if you leave off the mission address. 

A missionary friend of mine once received a package from home. The address on the package was as follows:

Elder So-and-so
Italy Rome Mission Home
Rome, Italy

Edited by Vort

I'm not worried at all. I'm fully expecting that any letter you might send to anyone in this country will be stopped at the border, opened, examined, scanned, x-rayed, disinfected, shredded and then burnt, with the ashes then vaporised, and any remains being entombed into synrock, and then dumped into the rivers of fire beneath Mount Doom. 

2 hours ago, Vort said:

A missionary friend of mine once received a package from home. The address on the package was as follows:

Elder So-and-so
Italy Rome Mission Home
Rome, Italy

Didn't they know how to spell "Soenso"?

30 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I'm not worried at all. I'm fully expecting that any letter you might send to anyone in this country will be stopped at the border, opened, examined, scanned, x-rayed, disinfected, shredded and then burnt, with the ashes then vaporised, and any remains being entombed into synrock, and then dumped into the rivers of fire beneath Mount Doom. 

Mount Doom is in Australia! Of course! That's why they filmed LotR in New Zealand!

34 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I plan to tell him you said that.  And it'll only cost me $1.15 (for up to one ounce, $2.13 if I feel like getting wordy or doodley).

I had the missionaries over to help me move furniture or something, and Elder P walks in, sees my roommate's family picture on the bookcase, points to her brother and says, "I know that guy!"  Not realizing he had just transferred into our branch, I assumed it was because that brother had just left after staying with us for the summer (to earn money for his mission).  Nope, apparently Elder P had lived in the same New Hampshire stake as my roommate's family and they were in the same trek family.

Most of my "small church" stories don't involve missionaries.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:12 PM, askandanswer said:

New Zealand is Australia's dumping ground for all sorts of unwanted items. 

So, you live in New Zealand, then? 

OH!!! BURN!!! (like as in Mt. Doom)

Edited by Guest

Hey, I just remembered another "small world" moment.

One of my last companions on my mission showed me a photo of a girl back home.  She wasn't a girlfriend. Nor was she "waiting" for him.  But she was the one that he kept a candle burning for.

I looked at it and declared,"Hey that looks like a girl I knew at BYU."

I found out it WAS that girl.

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Now hang on! You are about to become a famous member writer and we have already pledged to love whatever you write! Where is that Manuscript? 

A) I don't start full time until next year

B) Once I'm finished, which isn't exactly a 2-day process, the rest of the process (finding agent / publisher, publisher's process) is really, really slow.  It takes about a year from when a publisher buys your manuscript until they publish it.

18 minutes ago, zil said:

A) I don't start full time until next year

B) Once I'm finished, which isn't exactly a 2-day process, the rest of the process (finding agent / publisher, publisher's process) is really, really slow.  It takes about a year from when a publisher buys your manuscript until they publish it.

We will wait! 

On 11/13/2018 at 7:38 AM, Carborendum said:

Now that you mention it, I'm wondering does that have special seals on it that won't degrade with exposure to alcohol?

No. They just fit snugly steel-to-steel. Leakage is fairly uncommon as long as it's not bent.