Are We Living Like The Savior?

This came to me in an email. I rarely posts these but this one made me think. :hmmm:

A few years ago a group of salesmen went to a regional sales convention

in Chicago. They had assured their wives that they would be home in

plenty of time for Friday night's dinner. In their rush, with tickets and

briefcases, one of these salesmen inadvertently kicked over a table which

held a display of apples. Apples flew everywhere. Without stopping or

looking back, they all managed to reach the plane in time for their

nearly missed boarding.

ALL BUT ONE !!! He paused, took a deep breath, got in touch with his

feelings, and experienced a twinge of compassion for the girl whose apple

stand had been overturned.

He told his buddies to go on without him, waved good-bye, told one of

them to call his wife when they arrived at their home destination and

explain his taking a later flight. Then he returned to the terminal where

the apples were all over the terminal floor.

He was glad he did.

The 16-year-old girl was totally blind! She was softly crying, tears

running down her cheeks in frustration, and at the same time helplessly

groping for her spilled produce as the crowd s whirled about her, no one

stopping and no one to care for her plight.

The salesman knelt on the floor with her, gathered up the apples, put

them back on the table and helped organize her display. As he did this,

he noticed that many of them had become battered and bruised; these he

set aside in another basket.

When he had finished, he pulled out his wallet and said to the girl,

'Here, please take this $40 for the damage we did. Are you okay?' She

nodded through her tears.. He continued on with, 'I hope we didn't spoil

your day too badly.'

As the salesman started to walk away, the bewildered blind girl called

out to him, 'Mister. ' He paused and turned to look back into those

blind eyes. She continued, 'Are you Jesus?'

He stopped in mid-stride, and he wondered. Then slowly he made his way to

catch the later flight with that question burning and bouncing about in

his soul: 'Are you Jesus?' Do people mistake you for Jesus? That's our

destiny, is it not? To be so much like Jesus that people cannot tell the

difference as we live and interact with a world that is blind to His

love, life and grace.

If we claim to know Him, we should live, walk and act as He would.

Knowing Him is more than simply quoting Scripture and going to church.

It's actually living the Word as life unfolds day to day.

You are the apple of His eye even though we, too, have been bruised by a

fall. He stopped what He was doing and picked you and me up on a hill

called Calvary and paid in full for our damaged fruit.

When I think of "good Christians" I think of situations like that. I have been helped by good Christians in a similar way many times. When I was younger this was my general impression of Christians, and Chritianity. Sadly, so much of what I see from Christians and Christianity now is (generalizing here)..... bow or burn. Vote conservative Republican. Wear these kinds of clothes. Have your hair cut this way. Hate Democrats, liberals, Muslims, secularists, and well..... anybody who doesn't believe as you do. My way or the highway or you are evil.

There is often a disconnect between this wonderful story, and the "other part" of the religion.

When I think of "good Christians" I think of situations like that. I have been helped by good Christians in a similar way many times. When I was younger this was my general impression of Christians, and Chritianity. Sadly, so much of what I see from Christians and Christianity now is (generalizing here)..... bow or burn. Vote conservative Republican. Wear these kinds of clothes. Have your hair cut this way. Hate Democrats, liberals, Muslims, secularists, and well..... anybody who doesn't believe as you do. My way or the highway or you are evil.

There is often a disconnect between this wonderful story, and the "other part" of the religion.

For your information I am LDS who are also Christians and I don't like being stereotyped that I hate Muslims. That is so far from the truth.

<div class='quotemain'>

For your information I am LDS who are also Christians and I don't like being stereotyped that I hate Muslims. That is so far from the truth.

I agree with you Pam....and this Church does not tell us which party to vote for

This story reminds me of a song by Janice Kapp Perry.

Here is a link with music for the words below. I tried to find it being sung but couldn't find a good recording. :(

http://www.geocities.com/sjbagwell81/hisimage.html

His Image In Your Countenance

Words and Music by Janice Kapp Perry

With no apparent beauty that man should Him desire,

He was the promised Savior to purify with fire.

The world despised His plainness But those who followed Him

Found love and light and purity; A beauty from within.

(chorus)

Have you received His image in your countenance?

Does the Light of Christ Shine in your eyes?

Will he know you when He comes again because you shall be like Him,

When he sees you will the Father know His child?

We seek for light and learning as followers of Christ

That all may see His goodness reflected in our lives.

When we receive His fullness and lose desire for sin

We radiate His perfect love, A beauty from within.

The ways of man may tempt us and some will be deceived,

Prefering worldly beauty, Forgetting truth received,

But whisprings of the Spirit remind us once again

That lasting beauty, pure and clear must come from deep within.

This story reminds me of a song by Janice Kapp Perry.

Here is a link with music for the words below. I tried to find it being sung but couldn't find a good recording. :(

http://www.geocities.com/sjbagwell81/hisimage.html

His Image In Your Countenance

Words and Music by Janice Kapp Perry

With no apparent beauty that man should Him desire,

He was the promised Savior to purify with fire.

The world despised His plainness But those who followed Him

Found love and light and purity; A beauty from within.

(chorus)

Have you received His image in your countenance?

Does the Light of Christ Shine in your eyes?

Will he know you when He comes again because you shall be like Him,

When he sees you will the Father know His child?

We seek for light and learning as followers of Christ

That all may see His goodness reflected in our lives.

When we receive His fullness and lose desire for sin

We radiate His perfect love, A beauty from within.

The ways of man may tempt us and some will be deceived,

Prefering worldly beauty, Forgetting truth received,

But whisprings of the Spirit remind us once again

That lasting beauty, pure and clear must come from deep within.

I so love that song, but haven't heard it in a long while.

Thanks for the reminder! :D

Onyx

So what's the big deal then. What I said doesn't apply to you.

FWIW, as a non-believer I have been sterotyped so many times I just call myself a godless heathen from the get go. It just saves time. :lol:

Pam, Pale, I think you overlooked the (generalizing here. . . .) that Scott put in. It really changes the 'flavor' of his reply. He is not accusing any LDS of being a hate monger.

I am LDS Scott, and I agree with you. I will use as an example of christians who have gone bad- or un-Christ like, those people who stand in front of the Temple during our general conferences, screaming at us that we are sinful, demanding that we repent and denounce our faith. They claim they are christians- yet their actions and speech is not Christ Like. I don't hate these people. I dislike what they are doing. I pray for them, and ask Father to soften their hearts. I don't hate because of race or religion, or because you belong to the Democratic or Republican, or Libertarian Political party. I do hate though. I readily admit that. I hate individuals- for specific reasons. I do not hate specific groups because they are a specific group.

I agree with you Pam....and this Church does not tell us which party to vote forI agree, too. And, I know there are many Democrats in my current ward.

Being a Democrat LDS - especially in Utah - is sort of like being a Baptist Democrat in the south. You are rare, and those really into their politics barely consider you part of your religion. Heck, you only need to read the venom directed at a certain Senator from Nevada over the past couple of years, on this very board, to see that.

Let me put it this way.... during election season..... if I were to sit in on a PH session..... or especially a HP session..... in almost any Ward in the Western United States.... I bet I could get into a heated discussion..... that would have them talking about that 'day' for weeks.... if I were to attend during election season.

Been there, done that. :o

This thread is a prime example of the OP. The subject was Jesus. Now it is all about me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me ...........

Someone on this thread was in such a hurry to cast their vote that it was more important than sacrificing it to pick up apples!

whoa girl, cool down a bit. What are you getting so fired up about? Spell it out please. Where are you getting cast their vote is more important than picking up apples???

From my interpretation this thread is about several business men who in their mindless rush to catch a flight home, knocked over an apple stand. One man who had a conscience stopped and helped the apple stand owner put things to right and in doing so discovered that she is blind and crying.

He actually did the right thing in helping her to right her apple stand and he also did right in paying for the damage that he and his associates had done. (What would Jesus have done? He would have helped her put the stand to rights)

Not one poster after that made any comments accusing any one in particular of being unchristian. Not LDS in general, nor catholic, nor any one person from this forum. There was comment made about how in todays world, right now, that the poster felt that too many who claimed to be christian were telling others how to vote, how to dress, etc. Well here is his statement:

Sadly, so much of what I see from Christians and Christianity now is (generalizing here)..... bow or burn. Vote conservative Republican. Wear these kinds of clothes. Have your hair cut this way. Hate Democrats, liberals, Muslims, secularists, and well..... anybody who doesn't believe as you do. My way or the highway or you are evil.

Where in that phrase is LDS??? It isn't there, it isn't implied.

How has anyone comments in this entire thread support your me me me me theory??? Please point them out to me as I would really like to know.

Oh, and the funny thing is...... I am a registered Republican but am in reality a split my ticket type. But sadly deluded amongst the crowd I described. It was kind of fun though..... and they started it! :D

I am a split my ticket type too. :sparklygrin: