Sins Forgiven...

tiancum

if a person at one time repents of his/her sins...forsakes them...

and then a while down the road, forgets how to repent, and forgets the importance of the Savior in their lives...

(like king Benjamin says in alma 5, about having the mighty change of heart)

Are those sins still forgiven? or do we need to remian humble for the atonement to remain an active cover for our prior sins?

We must not resume the sins which we have already abandoned and repented for.

As long as you don't repeat the sin you sought forgiveness for, you are still forgiven according to what the scriptures teach.

Dr. T, Christ is the one who remits our sins, but he doesn't do so until we repent and demonstrate godly sorrow and a change of heart/spiritual rebirth that leads us away from those sins and closer to God.

CK,

That is saying forgiveness is dependent 100% on us not on God. That is what I've having trouble with in that. It is not us but Jesus' work. The idea, "I'll do my best and Jesus will do the rest" still rests on us doing the work. I believe it is Jesus and only him that presents us as clean through his sacrifice.

I'd say that a sin repented of is forgiven forever. But a new instance of sin would be unforgiven until repented of. Now, perhaps God DOES automatically forgive all sin. I personally don't think God desires justice more than mercy. But, then comes the question of what does repentance and obedience avail? If repentance is not in the effort to obtain forgiveness, then what is if for? Perhaps it is the work of Christ that obtains forgiveness, but the work of repentance takes the injury to the physician for healing.

-a-train

if a person at one time repents of his/her sins...forsakes them...

and then a while down the road, forgets how to repent, and forgets the importance of the Savior in their lives...

(like king Benjamin says in alma 5, about having the mighty change of heart)

Are those sins still forgiven? or do we need to remian humble for the atonement to remain an active cover for our prior sins?

if someone offends you, and you forgive them; then down the road they make choices you disagree with have you still forgiven them of prior acts?

i think if you apply it to two ppl it doesn't work to say that the old sins come back so to speak (someone isn't truely forgiving).

to repeat some of the common comments i've heard in sunday school when discussing forgiveness. if you repeat the act you sought forgiveness for you haven't truely repented or you wouldn't be doing it again. if you haven't truely repented then there is nothing to come back and "haunt" you, you are still working on it. we should forgive 70X7, if you are keeping count you really aren't forgiving the person and risk your own condemnation. the lord will forgive us as we forgive others.

taking the principles of ppl to ppl and apply them to christ and us. christ and the father are our examples. they are perfect examples. if they say they have forgiven and we have done our best to repent then they aren't keeping count, the past is the past; what you do with your future, that's up to you. they are a perfect balance of justice and mercy.

personally i pray (have faith) for the mercy but try to prepare (work) for the justice. what's the saying?.... get on your knees and pray as if everything depends on the lord, then get up and work like everything depends on you.

It is my opinion that some posting in this thread do not understand the teachings of Jesus. I would reference his parable about the man that owed the king a great deal and the king forgave the debt but then the same man caused another in debt to him to be thrown into prison for not being able to pay the much smaller debt. Jesus then taught that regardless of our repentance of our sins that if we do not forgive ALL OTHERS that trespass against us that we will not be forgiven by our Father in Heaven.

This may come as a big disappoint to many on this forum as it has to me for I often have great difficulty forgiving others. But then I wonder – How can anyone (including myself) believe in Jesus Christ and believe that he did indeed pay a ransom for all sins and then not forgive the sins that Jesus ransomed?

I find it most interesting that in these discussions there are arguments such that somehow we believe our sins will be forgiven but someone else’s will not. As I understand the great sacrifice of Jesus is we should be concerned of our own sins and not the transgressions of anyone else.

Perhaps others feel differently and would offer themselves as an example of one that is forgiven for those, like myself that are yet struggling with one thing or another.

what if we reach a point to where we don't feel like what we did was wrong any more? ....We don't feel remorse, and become Pharisaical.

We still don't repeat the sin again....say because we don't want to get caught/arrested etc. Is it possible that it would be added again to us?

It is my opinion that some posting in this thread do not understand the teachings of Jesus. I would reference his parable about the man that owed the king a great deal and the king forgave the debt but then the same man caused another in debt to him to be thrown into prison for not being able to pay the much smaller debt. Jesus then taught that regardless of our repentance of our sins that if we do not forgive ALL OTHERS that trespass against us that we will not be forgiven by our Father in Heaven.

This may come as a big disappoint to many on this forum as it has to me for I often have great difficulty forgiving others. But then I wonder – How can anyone (including myself) believe in Jesus Christ and believe that he did indeed pay a ransom for all sins and then not forgive the sins that Jesus ransomed?

I find it most interesting that in these discussions there are arguments such that somehow we believe our sins will be forgiven but someone else’s will not. As I understand the great sacrifice of Jesus is we should be concerned of our own sins and not the transgressions of anyone else.

Perhaps others feel differently and would offer themselves as an example of one that is forgiven for those, like myself that are yet struggling with one thing or another.

Well put, Traveler.

I come back again and again to a passage in Bro Nibley's 'Brother Brigham Teaches the Saints' where he talks of people being busybodies and worrying about what others are doing and puffing themselves up because they are 'better' than those people. He talks of JS saying that 'if you won't accuse me, I won't accuse you' when speaking of looking past others shortcomings. One of Satan's names is 'accuser of the brethren' and the more I think of it, the more I am led to believe (this is the gospel according to sixpack, everyone, so...) that Lucifer himself was an exact person that kept every law, but became prideful (much like the pharisees) in his righteousness. I think he is still that way, only he has gone bad. He is still trying to show that HIS plan was better. So his attitude of superiority and self righteousness I believe leads him to be our chief accuser at the last day.

I personally don't want to be a 'stand in' for Satan and accuse others. I try very hard to forgive because of that (it isn't easy, and sometimes it takes time), but I have found that that viewpoint has helped me in trying to forgive others. I want to be more Christlike, not Satanlike in my demeanor...

Well put, Traveler.

I come back again and again to a passage in Bro Nibley's 'Brother Brigham Teaches the Saints' where he talks of people being busybodies and worrying about what others are doing and puffing themselves up because they are 'better' than those people. He talks of JS saying that 'if you won't accuse me, I won't accuse you' when speaking of looking past others shortcomings. One of Satan's names is 'accuser of the brethren' and the more I think of it, the more I am led to believe (this is the gospel according to sixpack, everyone, so...) that Lucifer himself was an exact person that kept every law, but became prideful (much like the pharisees) in his righteousness. I think he is still that way, only he has gone bad. He is still trying to show that HIS plan was better. So his attitude of superiority and self righteousness I believe leads him to be our chief accuser at the last day.

I personally don't want to be a 'stand in' for Satan and accuse others. I try very hard to forgive because of that (it isn't easy, and sometimes it takes time), but I have found that that viewpoint has helped me in trying to forgive others. I want to be more Christlike, not Satanlike in my demeanor...

Thank you for your response - I convinced that salvation and being saved is not about me me me me. Me have ing salvation, me being saved, me being forgiven. I believe it is more about loving and sacrificing for others than it is about self and loving and sacrificing for self.

The Traveler