Online Missionary Work

Unfortunitely there are a lot of anti literature out there that is hurting the cause. Most of it is taken out of context or misquoted garbage people choose to believe. It is a shame that more people don't get out of there rut they are in and explore the possibilities.

I did share my testimony and asked my pt guy to go to church w/ me. He declined. I have switched it up a bit and I have let my light shine. What I mean by that is I have just been myself and hopefully he'll see HF through me and get him curious. I pray that this opportunity is not lost because I am doing something wrong. I've learned from past experiences that if you push most people will shy away from you. You have got to plant seeds and then water them only when needed. Then let the "SON" shine on them.

f4k B)

Amen! And this is precisely why we need to be communicating our experiences with each other on a consistent basis, and without judgement of one another. An experience that you may feel might have been unreceived is really not even ours to decide. Is it? Ours is only the responsibility to DO IT! And you did it! You are way ahead of me and that is why, at least for me, I need you guys to keep me on task! LOL I think you ROCK!

So, this is selfish, selfish, selfish of me. :P I need you guys and so does the Lord need all of us! I really believe in the power of unity. I think that is one of the great forces that we have to gather on the internet. We have a constant ability to connect with those who are gathered for the same reasons. For us here, we all love the Savior and are willing to work for His cause.

So why be just one for the cause, when we could be so many pulling for each other in our efforts? We just need to be aware of what we are up to...

We just need to wonder.... what could be the difference in this future, IF all of us here on the forum were aware that YOU were going to another appointment next 'Tuesday', and you were going to give your PT a Book of Mormon with your testimony enclosed... even though you are thinking this is most likely a dead end already...

How could we join forces to potentially create a positive experience for everyone involved?

I am going to leave this an open question and hope for a little input, bc this is a pretty common missionary experience...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello gvr...

First, let me say I enjoy your posts...

I'm with MorningStar on this one (who I was just delighted to meet in person last Friday at the Portland, OR temple, along with two other LDS cyber sisters. It was the first time we met in person...previously it was just here and at MADB for the past almost two years).

I am genuinely interested in people and have an easiness in talking with them whether in person or online. When we have that true interest, it comes through even online in our posts. Since starting to participate online, I've had several individuals that I've exchanged PMs with over a period of months that I hope I have been able to help...

I think we do have a place to be missionaries online, and that is right here in these forums. People come with questions, and if we try and answer honestly, respectfully, humbly and with good humor, it will go a long way in encouraging those people to contact local wards/missionaries for more info.

I watch for opportunities in talking generally with people in my area to make some comment about "my church"... or being LDS... for instance, sitting waiting for my car servicing to be finished at the auto dealer. I usually read the paper and I'll casually say to someone sitting there something about the floods, earthquakes or fires, and how my church packs hygiene kits that are sent to the disaster areas wherever needed... the usual question is what Church is that? and my answer is "LDS, or Mormon" "Oh" is usually the reply... and then I will say something about food storage and emergency preparedness... sometimes more questions come, sometimes not... but I am congenial, smiling, gentle in my talk... and I know at least I've planted a seed and set an example. Many times it is the planting of seeds and the setting of an example by our actions that is one of the best missionary tools we have... living the gospel. I don't think we realize how much of an influence we have on those around us... it is this type of example that opens doors when missionaries do show up, or for further discussions with us...

If we are in tune with the Spirit, and ask for guidance, and for "missionary moments," we will know when and in what way to introduce the gospel... we don't have to hit people over the head with it all at once... the questions will come... sometimes just being a friend is a catalyst for building trust so that deeper discussions can take place. If we live our lives so that we are ready to speak when opportunities present themselves, we will recognize those opportunities and be able to respond accordingly.

In the meantime, we can participate here and in blogs...

The Garden Girl

Edit to add: I just read fish4kitty's post just above mine and I agree wholeheartedly, in fact, it's a great example of how we can just "live" and be ourselves and let our light shine... the opportunities will present themselves (in addition to those we take on our own) because don't forget... Heavenly Father knows our hearts desires and will open the way for us... GG

Okay Garden Girl,

I am going to get you on something. :o

I believe it was Elder Ballard, who in our last General Conference suggested that we prepare short answers, etc... so that when we come in contact with people, we will know how to speak about the church. Something like this as I recall. What I just picked up on in your great post was that at the very end, of that which I have made bold you commented that..." If we are in tune with the Spirit...." Now I am thinking that perhaps you did not want to brag, but I also noticed at the very opening of your post, you have a very calculated way of starting up a conversation that will give you the high probability of speaking about the fact that you are a Mormon.

Would this be a correct assessment of your post? Now, not to be critical in any way mind you, but you are a great example of Asking for a specific blessing, but also being prepared to go and get or receive it. But you knew that, didn't you?

Because I like how you said, it is how we live our lives....

I bring up Elder Ballard, because he has suggested something like preparing short, but precise statements on principles or doctrines of the gospel that are easy for us to remember. In this way we are ready to teach quickly and clearly that which we believe. I think this is a wonderful idea, as so many times members are asked relatively simple questions. But many members basically bumble through the simplest of explanations, unfortunately out of possible feelings of being taken off-guard; or even an uncomfortableness with our own understanding off the top of our head.

This could very well be much of the reluctance to member missionary work. An understanding of the first four principles and ordinances are critical in missionary work and I think this is a good place to be sure we have a good foundation.

What an awesome example that is MorningStar! You make that sound so simple. Again, I think I could actually get brave and try it. Lets see, I might need to watch some T.V. so I will have some fun to talk about... hmmmm? Which one shall I pick? Any suggestions?

Okay, MorningStar, please let me know how you feel about staying connected with the forum and helping to cheer each other on with your "no fear" experiences, etc... I am thinking this could really help all of us just reach out a bit more in our personal willingness to do these kinds of things if we have a kind of return and report thread...

So, what do you think about that?

I'm all for supporting each other in this. It can be scary to approach people, but you don't have to do it all at once. Just talk about the things you like.

I have a personal blog for my family and close friends to read. Probably 75% of the time, I talk about my kids, something we did as a family, holidays, etc. A rather small portion of the time, I talk about the lessons we heard at church, a lesson I taught, I have mentioned blessings I received, some spiritual experiences, how Heavenly Father has helped me overcome trials, my favorite hymns, etc. I don't even think of it as something my friends are going to read. It's what I would write about in my own journal. So when I mentioned how excited I was that my son was getting baptized soon and everything I needed to do to prepare for it, one of my high school friends asked me to tell her more about Mormon baptisms, so I wrote a whole post about it. I don't set out to convince them that they should join the church, but I talk about what's on my mind. If there is anyone who doesn't take an interest in my spiritual posts, they don't have to read it either. It's a non invasive way of sharing your testimony. I think we all fear turning people off when we talk about the church, but there are small ways we can share and when people want to know more, I teach them about it.

It was great meeting GG! :D It's true that she is a joy to talk to. Wish it could've been longer!

I wanted to add too that it's almost impossible not to talk about my religion when I meet people. Not right away, but when I was in physical therapy, things just came up. They would ask, "What did you do this weekend?" or "What are your plans?" I'm not going to hide who I am. I told them all about my son's upcoming baptism, which sometimes led to questions. Other times people don't care.

I'm all for supporting each other in this. It can be scary to approach people, but you don't have to do it all at once. Just talk about the things you like.

I have a personal blog for my family and close friends to read. Probably 75% of the time, I talk about my kids, something we did as a family, holidays, etc. A rather small portion of the time, I talk about the lessons we heard at church, a lesson I taught, I have mentioned blessings I received, some spiritual experiences, how Heavenly Father has helped me overcome trials, my favorite hymns, etc. I don't even think of it as something my friends are going to read. It's what I would write about in my own journal. So when I mentioned how excited I was that my son was getting baptized soon and everything I needed to do to prepare for it, one of my high school friends asked me to tell her more about Mormon baptisms, so I wrote a whole post about it. I don't set out to convince them that they should join the church, but I talk about what's on my mind. If there is anyone who doesn't take an interest in my spiritual posts, they don't have to read it either. It's a non invasive way of sharing your testimony. I think we all fear turning people off when we talk about the church, but there are small ways we can share and when people want to know more, I teach them about it.

It was great meeting GG! :D It's true that she is a joy to talk to. Wish it could've been longer!

I wanted to add too that it's almost impossible not to talk about my religion when I meet people. Not right away, but when I was in physical therapy, things just came up. They would ask, "What did you do this weekend?" or "What are your plans?" I'm not going to hide who I am. I told them all about my son's upcoming baptism, which sometimes led to questions. Other times people don't care.

Very cool! I am glad you brought up the fact that you have a personal blog. I know that is something else that the moregoodfoundation.com site has been encouraging members to do. I believe the idea is to flood the internet with MORE GOOD..... literally. So maybe this is something more of us could do? I know that they are willing to help anyone who wants to get themselves going. All WE need to do is pop on over there to Richard's blog and they will help you. I keep saying I am gonna do it.

See? Like I have been saying... IF I knew you all were bugging me, I mean helping me be a better missionary, I just KNOW I would be so much better. Thanks for that great post.

How fun that you gals got to meet each other.

I've had discussions about the church in unexpected places. I'll see someone asking questions or giving out incorrect information about the church and I can't help entering the conversation. I had a very nice experience with people who never knew anyone LDS in person and got to know a few of us. I think that probably made them more likely to talk to members in person if they ever meet one. :)

gvr demanded I get in on this thread so here I am.

I have had similar experiences as MS. Although the most recent one did not turn out so good. It was from a fellow on a different board I visit (non-religious) whom I have talked with for some time now and thought I knew pretty good. Anyway he posted a thread about him not being able to vote for Romney because the Morman church (his spelling of it, not mine) was not Christian but a cult. I responded simply by saying that I was glad my Savior was my judge and not him. He responded with an apology in which I told him not to worry about it. He was entitled to his opinions and that I heard much of the same for many years. I did offer him my assurance of my belief in Christ and that I believed the LDS Church to be more in line with Christs church that he has established during his life. That was 2 weeks ago and I have not seen him since. He would post many times everyday and had done so for several years but has been AWOL since. So I feel kind of bad, but really felt the need to set the record straight, and didn't feel I had done so harshly. I did have several others who responded with kind words to me and persondsof our faith, and one Lady who said she thought my response to his harsh post was very Christ like.

So you win some and lose some I guess.

How'd I do gvr? :D

gvr demanded I get in on this thread so here I am.

I have had similar experiences as MS. Although the most recent one did not turn out so good. It was from a fellow on a different board I visit (non-religious) whom I have talked with for some time now and thought I knew pretty good. Anyway he posted a thread about him not being able to vote for Romney because the Morman church (his spelling of it, not mine) was not Christian but a cult. I responded simply by saying that I was glad my Savior was my judge and not him. He responded with an apology in which I told him not to worry about it. He was entitled to his opinions and that I heard much of the same for many years. I did offer him my assurance of my belief in Christ and that I believed the LDS Church to be more in line with Christs church that he has established during his life. That was 2 weeks ago and I have not seen him since. He would post many times everyday and had done so for several years but has been AWOL since. So I feel kind of bad, but really felt the need to set the record straight, and didn't feel I had done so harshly. I did have several others who responded with kind words to me and persondsof our faith, and one Lady who said she thought my response to his harsh post was very Christ like.

So you win some and lose some I guess.

How'd I do gvr? :D

Oh, i am so tough! You hang in there.

Remember, we all learn from each other... But look how much quicker we are able to progress we can learn from each other!

Thanks my friend:-) :)

I was cruising around the forum tonight and came upon this thread. It took a while to find, as it was basically pretty far down, which means that this particular discussion has died out. Of course it caused my immediate attention to be drawn to the very reason I joined the ldsforums.com family in the first place. Which was to become an online missionary.

The first question I had to ask myself was, "how am I doing"? Well, not too bad I suppose... after all, I really enjoy having conversations with everyone here on the forum. I feel that I am making some good friends and that we really are creating connections that I liken to a kind of online cyber-ward. I really think we have something very special going on here at these forums and I take every chance to invite others to participate as I do feel a great spirit about what is happening at the root level. I feel privileged to be a part of the beginnings of what I believe is only the beginning of most likely one of the greatest tools in missionary work ever.

I am not here with the BIG answer, but my thoughts are that from what I have seen and felt happening between all of us so far is wonderful. I know that accountability does work. I feel that many of us do feel connected to each other already and that more than likely we are on the same page in our desires for being here. I know we all have much to do in our busy lives and would like to make this productive for the Lord.

My simple thoughts and I know you can add to or make way better are along these lines... Perhaps we can find a way to kind of maintain a "committed" dialogue that will remain open, say something like a weekly check-in with each other. It could be something like Sunday evening to Monday evening of every week where we would have a particular thread that we all just touch base with each other and share our experiences of how we feel like our personal efforts in the area of missionary work are going.

It could be for information, resources, ideas, encouragement, testimonies, etc... But most important it would remind all of us why we are here doing what we are doing or trying to do.

Or something where a particular individual could post a weekly "cyber-ward" training and we could all check it out, then... go and do, then talk about it during the week. In this way we would be encouraging each other doing the same thing. Richard Miller has written some great ideas on his blog and we could discuss many of his ideas. Maybe some of you have already implemented them?

I just know that this online missionary work should start to roll, and perhaps our interaction with one another will increase our faith in our own neighborhood? And maybe it will be online? But somehow, I think we all know that there is a power here and we all need to tap into it and actually have the faith to see it in our own lives, as well as those who we have the privilege to encounter.

Thanks 4321 for this post. I really hope that others feel the same way and are interested in keeping yourselves committed to the work through staying connected to the reason we are here through one another.

Also a link has been given in this post to someone who has taken the time to go the extra mile, as has been suggest. This individual has put up their own blog about being mormon. Wow!

They have asked us to help out! Check out the link at the top of the page. All About Mormons. Very nice site. People have posted questions and it looks like he/she could use some help answering them. I think many here could click on over there and help out quite a bit:-)

Well, I have rambled enough! I shall wait patiently and hope that others have some similar feelings and we shall see where we could possibly pull together to cause a little MORE GOOD to happen 'here'? :D

P.S. I am a lousy missionary and am committed to change my pathetic ways... so please help me in becoming something more useful. :(

Alright, I promise I won't repost this anymore. But I wanted to make sure that anyone that wanted to give there three reasons for why they joined the forum, goes over to the URGENT post that I submitted and does the little survey. PLEASE?????????????? :D

Guest GhostRider

greetings,

as an investigator of the church i am soing a lot of research online. and to follow up on your topic about online mission work there is a place on ldstalk.com that has a place where u can taalk to an online misionary. however......when i use it it does not work. or there is no one there. maybe it is due to the fact that i am online late at night. just wanted to share this with you.

LJR

update. It does work. talked to a missionary and had a lot of my questions answered. esp about what to expect in a service. who to talk to among other things. at least i will not have any doubts about what to expect. still searching as always.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody

I just wanted to post to let you know that I have tried to do as GVR suggested. (As you all know, she can be very persuasive at times.) I have gone out of my comfort zone and started to do missionary work on line. My dear friend GVR has posted a HUB at a site called Hubpages.com, under the name of LdsNana. She is a wonderful missionary for the church and has given all sorts of wonderful information to many people who are not members of the church. This particular site does not have a lot of LDS representation, so she has set it afire with info about the church. It is not as scary as I thought it would be. Even if you don't create a HUB, go on over and add a comment to her HUB and bear testimony of what she has already posted. It is totally easy. Everybody on that site is very friendly, as I have found them to be very open minded and kind. So go for it. Here she is:

LdsNana-AskMormon on HubPages

I have been trying to do more online missionary work in the past few days, and not just through this site. I don't find it productive to argue on boards and chatrooms, because those who are genuinely convinced of their anti-Mormon views will generally not be swayed by any argument. However, I try to search out places where people are asking genuine questions about the Church, and I try to give clear, brief answers and refer them to official sources, including mormon.org, where they can get more answers.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am also working on my Why am I a Mormon? project, which has generated more hits in the past few days. I now in the process of actively seeking more submissions. If any of you want to give a written, spoken, or video response, please contact me through PM or any other method. I would love to feature responses from some of the great missionaries who frequent this site.

Again, it's not a moneymaking project or anything - there are no ads on the site, and the only links on the links page are to official Church sites. I just think it will fill a need.

I have a hard time opening up a conversation with some one about this Church. I usually wait for an opening or for an opportunity to talk about my faith. I live in Baptist country so I am a little nervous about telling people about my faith. I work nights so doing missionary work is hard for me and I get to use the internet. One of the things I thought of was to create a Book of Mormon that anyone can download and send by e-mail. My website grew out of this idea. My idea was that more people are spending time online why not send them a Book of Mormon? As far as I know this is the only Book of Mormon out there you can download for free. If you are interested please visit my site Welcome! The Book of Mormon Project.

Wanderer (and anybody else who cares), I just got transcripts up for the first two shows. I'm in the process on a new episode - hopefully it will be ready in the next couple of days.

Nate -

Well done. I love your site 'Why Am I A Mormon". This is a wonderful concept that is certain to have an impact.

tDMg

LdsNana

There are countless opportunities to spread the word online. It is something truly wonderful and everyone should have a chance to hear. I am glad that I found this forum, but I wish I would have found it sooner.

6 months ago I came from a place where this TRUTH has NEVER been preached......it's kind of sad. The area may be closed to missions work, but the internet is widely available.

I don't really tell this story, the year after I got back from my mission I was only working part time (even during the summer). I ended up hearing about this chat program called ICQ and I started to use it. I ended up finding people to chat with it every so often (I'm not even sure why I found the people I did).

One person on my list was from KY, we changed on an off for a couple of weeks. Then I just kind of remember some monday asking how her weekend went. She said okay, I asked how was your sunday, she said okay. I some how brought up the idea that I went to Church on sunday and told her I was LDS. Its been a while, but some how I started to teach her a little about the church (more general ideas, like the book of mormon, Marriage, stuff like that). After a while I saw if she was intrested, and she seemed like she was, I offered to send her some stuff. I think I sent her the Missionary discussion pamphlets and a book of mormon, and the book our search for happiness (we need to use this book more).

As the weeks turned into months I felt like I should get her to see the missionaries, but I guess she wasn't ready for that, or to really let her parents know what she was doing. So I ended up teaching her all 6 discussions over chat. It was really strange in the way you teach the gospel when you are typing it all out. More so you can explain it the easiest way possible, but still make sense of it.

Things actually progressed pretty well. I taught her all the of discussions, had her reading the book of mormon. Even started to send her the Conference edition of the Ensign so she could get more up-to-date topics that our church was teaching. This went on for about a year (yes a whole year) and I kept telling her to pray about it, and I think deep down she knew she wanted this in her life, she just didn’t know how she was going to make the change. By now her family knew she was learning about. Finally, the time came, I can’t remember if I got the missionaries numbers or if she did. She started to meet with the missionaries. This was really just a formality because I knew she knew everything she needed to get baptized. I even explained to what to expect. But didn’t want her to rush through anything. For about 2 months she met with the missionaries and actually kind of started to like one of them. Also at this time she started to go to church she found this younger lady at church that had just recently joined (like a month before). They became good friends.

I ended up flying out to KY, the Missionary baptized her, and I confirmed the Holy Ghost. I only stayed like 3 days. I kept in contact, but her job kind of changed so she wasn’t online as much. The missionary ends up getting transferred, and even worst her main friend in the church ended up moving. She was kind of left really by herself in a ward she didn’t know many. Even more I think she kind of expect others to make the first step, and even though this is a good thing, it doesn’t always happen. I have tried to keep in contact, but most of my letters and so forth are really just about how she needs to keep reading the book of mormon, and to make another attempt to go back to church. But I don’t think any of it has happen. I think the change of life was just to much, and being the only mormon was to hard I guess.

That’s kind of it.

I think sharing the gospel over the internet is possible but it does have its struggles (mostly the whole being a friend the person). But I do think there are more we can do over the internet!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see the internet in its current state as a place where many will have the entire conversion experience. Rather, I see it as a place where many people can gain positive exposure to the Church so that they are more receptive when the opportunity to investigate is offered in person. There will be a few whose primary reason for conversion involves online contact, but we are far more likely to have success when we combine our online efforts with face-to-face testimony of the restored Gospel.

Just wondering what people thought of online missionary work. how have you gone about it? Have you found anything that is successful?

I feel we havent fully used the internet for missionary work like we could. And I think if we did we would have an explosion of people joining the Church.

Well here's my minus 3 cents opinion. I'm giving this as an "outsider" who was once an "insider" (no ominous motivations need be implicated). The term "missionary work" in regard to getting people interested in Mormonism can sound a bit "canned". Of course, it's a term that has to be used, but I'd like to look at some alternative approaches to "missionary work". Most people do not like a sales approach, and most people can decipher a sales approach in about ten seconds - and completely turn off. This mostly occurs with the "bake a cake" approach. This is the question you need to ask: "Why am I doing this?" Because it's a commandment? Because you want to impress others what a great missionary you are? Because by saving souls you'll add a few more credit points to heavenly fly-buys? Befriending people for ulterior motives is usually seen for what it is - fake - no matter how "noble" the action. A person might ask, "would you be like this if you weren't a believer?" (i.e., so friendly) I recently had Jehovah's Witnesses at my door, and they are very nice people, but I could easily sense a certain facade, a canned approach. If I offended them by criticising their belief, they would no longer be interested in being my friend. So, what kind of purported "friendship" were they seeking in the first place? Certainly not one I would want, because I know my real friends stand by me regardless of what I believe.

If someone you approached rejected Mormonism, would you still be prepared to be their friend? That is the litmus test of sincerity. And the person might well ask, "when are you going to stop seeing me as a 'potential convert', and start seeing me as a human being?" All humans are motivated by one purpose or another, but there are greater and lesser motivations. I give money to my children because I love them, not because I want to be seen as a "charitable person". If I am, then that is incidental to the greater motivation, which is true love.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the sincerity of those who want to share their testimonies, or love for the gospel. I have no doubt about this sincerity, and I believe it can be very effective, but I believe the greatest influence Mormons can give is to be an example. And, "where much is given, much is expected". Do you know why door-knocking has such little success in comparison to friends introducing other friends to the gospel? It doesn't take Einstein to work it out. There's a huge gap between the impersonal, and the personal. When I was on a mission the program to introduce, or reactivate people, was called "I care". Yes, I care.

The reason I'm making these observations is because what is needed, IMO, is not so much "an explosion of people joining the Church", but people joining the Church for the right reasons. In the late '70s the Sydney Mission had a six hour conversion program. The emphasis was on baptise, baptise, baptise. Get as many into the Church in as short a time as possible. Is it any wonder that this program had a huge failure rate? Something like 90% of converts eventually left the Church. Why? Because the gloss soon wore off. They had no real "root". It was like planting bacon hoping that pigs will grow. This approach was eventually abandoned, but it encapsulates the point I'm making, that it's not good enough to simply do "missionary work", it must be done for reasons other than simply wanting people to become members. As the saying goes, "I don't care how much you know, until I know how much you care". People will judge you by the sincerity of your approach, or lack thereof, not what you have to say about your beliefs, and in particular not being judgmental of alternative opinions or approaches.

This brings me to the other point about "explosions" of people joining the Church. If you have or own a company that has a 70% failure rate, you have a failed company. Yet, this is the inactivity rate among Mormons in many parts of the world, including Australia, where I live. The last ward I was active in had nearly 700 members, but only about 120 active. Very high "turnover", and while this may attributed somewhat to high demands of the lifestyle, one might well ask why there is such a lack of commitment to the "demands" in the first place. Are converts being told the full truth? Or are they going to meet some "tiger in the road" that scares them off later?

You have a primary responsibility to tell people about your history. If, for example, you have a black friend, and you don't tell him/her that blacks were once denied the priesthood, and they convert ignorant of this and later leave, then you bear the primary responsibility. This is only an example I'm giving. When Ernest Shackleton published an add for volunteers to go with him to the South Pole, this is what he wrote:

Men Wanted: For hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.

So in your online missionary work, tell people all the facts that you can. Do not gloss over anything. Milk before meat? Milk before meat is like telling a person they have a "bargain buy", and if after reading the "fine print" they turn on you, don't be surprised.

So what I'm advocating is more informed "missionary work". Not just for the sake of numbers, and candles that blow out with the first wind.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been an interesting thread that I've read off and on for the last couple of weeks. I personally believe that the Internet is one of the ways that "the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear" that Joseph Smith talked about in "The Standard of Truth."

As members of the Church, I think we underestimate the potential to touch people's hearts online. The day after President Hinckley passed away, President Hinckley was the third most popular person/subject on blogs throughout the world--more than any presidential candidate, entertainment celebrities, etc. That's remarkable. Also, within a few days, literally hundreds of videos about President Hinckley and his life poured onto Youtube and began to displace some of the negative videos about President Hinckley and the Church.

I wish it didn't take such a major "event" for an outpouring like this to happen.