The second great commandment in the law

Fether

18 hours ago, Manners Matter said:

Anyway - as to your examples. A different approach is warranted. With Amy, a 'love sandwich' would probably be better than a straight out, to-the-point approach. For example, "I really care about you and want the best for you. I'm concerned about this habit and where it could lead. I'm ready and willing to help however I can. Again, I love you and see so much potential in you".

Well said, and let me add a touch. 

It’s about relationships. You aren’t going to listen to, much less take advice and certainly not correction from someone you don’t like or don’t respect.

After all, if someone only interacts with you to peck, argue or nag you-you wouldn't listen to them either. 

Edited by LDSGator

21 hours ago, Manners Matter said:

No - you didn't catch where I said that "the receiver should see the effort and the giver should try to adjust the language they're speaking".

Anyway - as to your examples. A different approach is warranted. With Amy, a 'love sandwich' would probably be better than a straight out, to-the-point approach. For example, "I really care about you and want the best for you. I'm concerned about this habit and where it could lead. I'm ready and willing to help however I can. Again, I love you and see so much potential in you".

haven't read all the responses so pardon me if this backtracks - just wanted to respond since I was tagged

I thought I would respond according to my understanding to the debate you are having with @Fether

According to my understanding we do not ever reprove anyone unless we are "moved upon by the Holy Ghost".  So we are not speaking under such circumstance as I am now according to my opinion (so this is obviously not a reproof).    This is according to D&C 121:43.  But there is one other item necessary when we reprove.  That is that we show forth an "increase" of love.

This is most difficult for me because I an not good at showing love - let alone an increase of love (whatever that means).   Thus for me I try to add my opinion on things rather than reprove but such is almost always interpreted as a reproof.  And for sure I never get the showing an increase of love - because I do not know how to do that.

Bottom line I would like to see how you and @Fether apply this D&C scripture in your lives.

The Traveler

5 hours ago, Traveler said:

Bottom line I would like to see how you and @Fether apply this D&C scripture in your lives.

None of the questions I have posed have really shown how I view the topic, just throwing in question. 

but to be frank, since JAGs comment, I have lost interest in the topic as a whole. My views pretty much matches everyone’s I was just seeking further understanding and a reinvigorated passion for the concept of loving others.

8 hours ago, Fether said:

None of the questions I have posed have really shown how I view the topic, just throwing in question. 

I've been trying to keep up on this thread.  But I still don't really understand the question you're asking.

Jesus loved everyone.  But many chose to be his enemy anyway.  Apparently, they did not "feel the love".  And even today, they don't "feel it".

So, what is it you're asking?

35 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've been trying to keep up on this thread.  But I still don't really understand the question you're asking.

Jesus loved everyone.  But many chose to be his enemy anyway.  Apparently, they did not "feel the love".  And even today, they don't "feel it".

It is interesting to me that Satan is called a liar that cannot be truthful.  I have pondered this because often his comments seem to carry a great deal of truth.  But I believe there are at least  two things missing with such thinking.  The first is that his biggest lie is to himself.  The second is that despite the truth he acts upon the lie to himself.  Thus I speculate that when someone that is evil, is exposed to the love of Christ (divine charity) that they do feel the love but they turn it into a lie to themselves.  And then second; by deliberate action they contradict the love through their actions.  The expression is scripture is that they love darkness (in this instance, symbolic of hate) more than light (in this instance, symbolic of love).

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The core question was whether or not do people's reactions to our expressions of love give us insight into whether we truly have love for them or not. Obviously, there are examples of doing good and the wicked being angry because they are... well... wicked. But are there situations where someone's reaction to our expression of love is actually fruit that our love is incomplete? Or is the command to love our neighbor purely a personal matter and itsn't done through actions.

In reality, I could have just posted "what are some insights about love that you have?" and it would have really shown the cards of what I was getting at... but I feel responses to that would have been less fruitful, so I decided to just ask a question.

I am trying to just understand the commandment more. I feel like that has been done here on the thread.