The Temple And Symbols

MorningStar

Earlier this year, we had our stake temple night and at the devotional, the temple president suggested we take our time when we attend rather than rush there. He said to enjoy the symbols of Christ that are everywhere here at the Seattle Temple. The gates aren't just pretty - the design includes wheat grains, symbolizing how Christ is the bread of life. The fountain out front symbolizes how He is the living water and that the temple is a place of healing (he mentioned the scripture in Ezekiel where water flows from the temple and heals everything).

What are some other symbols you've noticed on the temple grounds that point to Christ? Please share your thoughts and any scriptures that come to mind.

:)

MorningStar

Some exterior designs of circles remind us of "without beginning or end." Of course the statue of Moroni, heralding to the East...

Most of the Portland, OR symbols that I notice are on the interior... for instance, in the Celestial Room, the curtains covering the very tall slim windows start out a deep gold color at the bottom and gradually get lighter and lighter toward the top... I always imagine that as being like how we receive light and knowledge...

Garden Girl

Guest HEthePrimate

I've never been to Seattle (though I'd love to go!), but the Cardston, Alberta Temple has plenty of tree and water of life symbolism, right down to the Tiffany-style lamps that look like trees.

The temples themselves are tremendous symbols of Christ and manifestations of His great work and blessings on this earth. They are His home, the most sacred place on earth. And even the word temple, and the prophets have taught us that our bodies are temples unto the Lord and it is just as important for us to keep them clean as it is for us to keep the temple clean and let nothing enter it that is not clean. We are created in the image of Christ and the temples teach us to keep ourselves clean and worthy of Him.

The greatest symbol I have noticed in all the Temples is the two facing mirrors in the sealing rooms. How it represents eternity and how we are linked in an eternal family, to our ancestors and our decendants. This past weekend my wife and I were sealed to our adopted son, the spirit of the Lord was almost overwhelming as I contemplated the glories of eternity it makes me think of the following scripture:

(D&C 128:17-24) "And again, in connection with this quotation I will give you a quotation from one of the prophets, who had his eye fixed on the restoration of the priesthood, the glories to be revealed in the last days, and in an especial manner this most glorious of all subjects belonging to the everlasting gospel, namely, the baptism for the dead; for Malachi says, last chapter, verses 5th and 6th: Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse. I might have rendered a plainer translation to this, but it is sufficiently plain to suit my purpose as it stands. It is sufficient to know, in this case, that the earth will be smitten with a curse unless there is a welding link of some kind or other between the fathers and the children, upon some subject or other—and behold what is that subject? It is the baptism for the dead. For we without them cannot be made perfect; neither can they without us be made perfect. Neither can they nor we be made perfect without those who have died in the gospel also; for it is necessary in the ushering in of the dispensation of the fulness of times, which dispensation is now beginning to usher in, that a whole and complete and perfect union, and welding together of dispensations, and keys, and powers, and glories should take place, and be revealed from the days of Adam even to the present time. And not only this, but those things which never have been revealed from the foundation of the world, but have been kept hid from the wise and prudent, shall be revealed unto babes and sucklings in this, the dispensation of the fulness of times.

Now, what do we hear in the gospel which we have received? A voice of agladness! A voice of mercy from heaven; and a voice of truth out of the earth; glad tidings for the dead; a voice of gladness for the living and the dead; glad tidings of great joy. How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth! As the dews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them! And again, what do we hear? Glad tidings from Cumorah! Moroni, an angel from heaven, declaring the fulfilment of the prophets—the book to be revealed. A voice of the Lord in the wilderness of Fayette, Seneca county, declaring the three witnesses to bear record of the book! The voice of Michael on the banks of the Susquehanna, detecting the devil when he appeared as an angel of light! The voice of Peter, James, and John in the wilderness between Harmony, Susquehanna county, and Colesville, Broome county, on the Susquehanna river, declaring themselves as possessing the keys of the kingdom, and of the dispensation of the fulness of times! And again, the voice of God in the chamber of old Father Whitmer, in Fayette, Seneca county, and at sundry times, and in divers places through all the travels and tribulations of this Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! And the voice of Michael, the archangel; the voice of Gabriel, and of Raphael, and of divers angels, from Michael or Adam down to the present time, all declaring their dispensation, their rights, their keys, their honors, their majesty and glory, and the power of their priesthood; giving line upon line, precept upon precept; here a little, and there a little; giving us consolation by holding forth that which is to come, confirming our hope!

Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the King Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their prison; for the prisoners shall go free. Let the mountains shout for joy, and all ye valleys cry aloud; and all ye seas and dry lands tell the wonders of your Eternal King! And ye rivers, and brooks, and rills, flow down with gladness. Let the woods and all the trees of the field praise the Lord; and ye solid rocks weep for joy! And let the sun, moon, and the morning stars sing together, and let all the sons of God shout for joy! And let the eternal creations declare his name forever and ever! And again I say, how glorious is the voice we hear from heaven, proclaiming in our ears, glory, and salvation, and honor, and immortality, and eternal life; kingdoms, principalities, and powers! Behold, the great day of the Lord is at hand; and who can abide the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appeareth? For he is like a refiner’s fire, and like fuller’s soap; and he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness. Let us, therefore, as a church and a people, and as Latter-day Saints, offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness; and let us present in his holy temple, when it is finished, a book containing the records of our dead, which shall be worthy of all acceptation."

What more can I say but to praise the Lord and thank Him eternally for restoring the Gospel of Jesus Christ in it's fullness in our day.

The greatest symbol I have noticed in all the Temples is the two facing mirrors in the sealing rooms. How it represents eternity and how we are linked in an eternal family, to our ancestors and our decendants. This past weekend my wife and I were sealed to our adopted son, the spirit of the Lord was almost overwhelming as I contemplated the glories of eternity it makes me think of the following scripture:What more can I say but to praise the Lord and thank Him eternally for restoring the Gospel of Jesus Christ in it's fullness in our day.

How dose one visit the Temple?

How dose one visit the Temple?

First of all if you are talking about going inside you must be a baptized member of the Church in good standing for one year. Also you must get a recommend from your Bishop and signed by the Stake President. In order to get the recommend you will need to be interviewed by the Bishop and he will determine if you are ready. Actually you do not need to wait a year if you are going to do proxy baptisms for the dead, you can get a limited use recommend for that purpose, I would check with your Bishop about it. If you just wanted to walk around the grounds you do not even need to be a member you just drop by during the times it is open. It is a beautiful experience and a great blessing.

First of all if you are talking about going inside you must be a baptized member of the Church in good standing for one year. Also you must get a recommend from your Bishop and signed by the Stake President. In order to get the recommend you will need to be interviewed by the Bishop and he will determine if you are ready. Actually you do not need to wait a year if you are going to do proxy baptisms for the dead, you can get a limited use recommend for that purpose, I would check with your Bishop about it. If you just wanted to walk around the grounds you do not even need to be a member you just drop by during the times it is open. It is a beautiful experience and a great blessing.

Actually, thats not entirely true. You could go to the Temple later in the afternoon after you are baptized and confirmed if you are going to participate in baptisms for the dead. Of course, this usually doesnt happen.

Earlier this year, we had our stake temple night and at the devotional, the temple president suggested we take our time when we attend rather than rush there. He said to enjoy the symbols of Christ that are everywhere here at the Seattle Temple. The gates aren't just pretty - the design includes wheat grains, symbolizing how Christ is the bread of life. The fountain out front symbolizes how He is the living water and that the temple is a place of healing (he mentioned the scripture in Ezekiel where water flows from the temple and heals everything).

What are some other symbols you've noticed on the temple grounds that point to Christ? Please share your thoughts and any scriptures that come to mind.

:)

MorningStar

I have never looked for them yet? I am always overwhelmed with the spirit so much. next time we go for my deceased

mothers endowments, we will try to notice, but being as its for my mom, this may be a very overwhelming experiance

again, if my mom is waiting?

:mellow:

I have never looked for them yet? I am always overwhelmed with the spirit so much. next time we go for my deceased

mothers endowments, we will try to notice, but being as its for my mom, this may be a very overwhelming experiance

again, if my mom is waiting?

:mellow:

jadams, please don't get your hopes up too high. I was proxy for the endowment for both of my grandmothers. One grandmother I knew, one had died before I was even born. I loved my grandmother that I knew, and she was a wonderful person. But when I was the proxy for her, I didn't feel anything special. But then when I was the proxy for my grandmother who had died before I was born, the experience was almost overwhelming. I t hink it does depend on if the person is ready right then to recieve the ordinance you are performing for them.

There will be very special experiences in the temple. We just can't tell when they are going to happen. But going to the temple is always a time for quiet reflection and for loving the Savior and our Heavenly Parents.

Hello Peg in FL...

Some temples, like the larger Portland, OR temple, have large lobbies or waiting areas with couches and chairs. You can go into the temple to these areas and sit and enjoy the feeling of peace. We also have an atrium with lovely plants/flowers where one can sit. Our brides can take pictures in there. Visitors do not go beyond the "Recommend Desk" where it is necessary to show one's recommend before going further. Many visitors enjoy simply walking on the grounds and sitting by the water fountains. Our grounds were so beautiful this year with the flowers... really beautiful. I believe there is a temple in Orlando, and if you are in that area and have time, I hope you'll take the opportunity to visit.

Garden Girl

I've been inside four temples now and I'd have to say that the Oakland Temple definitely has the most unique symbols both inside and out that I'm almost sure you won't find at other LDS temples. Is it okay if I list them here or is that considered too sacred to post?

I've been inside four temples now and I'd have to say that the Oakland Temple definitely has the most unique symbols both inside and out that I'm almost sure you won't find at other LDS temples. Is it okay if I list them here or is that considered too sacred to post?

If they are things that visitors would have seen at the open house, I don't see why you couldn't talk about it. :)

If they are things that visitors would have seen at the open house, I don't see why you couldn't talk about it. :)

Okay, some of the things I've noticed at the Oakland Temple:

Outside the temple:

On the spires: Gold unfinished pyramids with rays beaming out of the top, the top spire reaching toward the Heavens like an antenna. (They glow real bright at night.)

Going down the spires is a vine design, may be stalks of grain

In between the spires (under "Holiness to the Lord") is a Last Supper mural carved in concrete, Jesus' arm is raised to the square in the mural.

In the garden is a plaque that quotes 3 Nephi when Jesus blesses the children and I think it has a small mural devoted to that.

Make sure you take the steps to the roof of the temple to see the rose garden. You can get a good view of the murals, gardens, the bay, and San Francisco from up there, it is really breathtaking.

The fences in the parking lot have the square and compass on each panel.

The Interstake Center windows have the hexagram. (I believe this symbol was used in early Christianity.)

The water flows away from the temple from a fountain through a creek with bridges over it leading to the interstake center, as someone mentioned with another temples fountains, maybe symbolic of the blessings of the temple and eternal life flowing from the temple.

Inside the temple:

Both sides of the gold door in the lobby have the grain stalk design, may symbolize "Bread of Life" as already mentioned.

The chapels and baptistry have an oriental logo on the pillars that glows with the lighting, probably to fit the oriental theme of the temple. I'm sure it spells out a word but I'm not sure what or which oriental language it is.

The baptistry, celestial, and ordinance room 1&2 both have a logo I'm not familiar with, but looks like an E with no line in the middle. It is tilted sideways in the ordinance rooms and is pointing downward in the baptistry and celestial room.

Ordinance room 3 (doubles as an "overflow" endowment room and a sealing room, is very small and is hardly ever used, except when the other rooms are full) has the swastika/four winds symbol all along the ceiling (not the one used by the Nazis, but the Indian embroidery style design like on a Mesoamerican temple) and has a mirror on each wall that bounces the reflection back infinitely, symbolizing eternity. Its the only room used for endowments that I've seen that has the mirrors, they are usually in sealing rooms only.

If you have a temple recommend I highly recommend going and spending the whole day at this temple and taking in the atmosphere. It is very beautiful and peaceful and I think you can learn a lot through the symbolism. It has definitely strengthened my faith in Jesus Christ.

Okay, some of the things I've noticed at the Oakland Temple:

Outside the temple:

On the spires: Gold unfinished pyramids with rays beaming out of the top, the top spire reaching toward the Heavens like an antenna. (They glow real bright at night.)

Going down the spires is a vine design, may be stalks of grain

In between the spires (under "Holiness to the Lord") is a Last Supper mural carved in concrete, Jesus' arm is raised to the square in the mural.

In the garden is a plaque that quotes 3 Nephi when Jesus blesses the children and I think it has a small mural devoted to that.

Make sure you take the steps to the roof of the temple to see the rose garden. You can get a good view of the murals, gardens, the bay, and San Francisco from up there, it is really breathtaking.

The fences in the parking lot have the square and compass on each panel.

The Interstake Center windows have the hexagram. (I believe this symbol was used in early Christianity.)

The water flows away from the temple from a fountain through a creek with bridges over it leading to the interstake center, as someone mentioned with another temples fountains, maybe symbolic of the blessings of the temple and eternal life flowing from the temple.

Inside the temple:

Both sides of the gold door in the lobby have the grain stalk design, may symbolize "Bread of Life" as already mentioned.

The chapels and baptistry have an oriental logo on the pillars that glows with the lighting, probably to fit the oriental theme of the temple. I'm sure it spells out a word but I'm not sure what or which oriental language it is.

The baptistry, celestial, and ordinance room 1&2 both have a logo I'm not familiar with, but looks like an E with no line in the middle. It is tilted sideways in the ordinance rooms and is pointing downward in the baptistry and celestial room.

Ordinance room 3 (doubles as an "overflow" endowment room and a sealing room, is very small and is hardly ever used, except when the other rooms are full) has the swastika/four winds symbol all along the ceiling (not the one used by the Nazis, but the Indian embroidery style design like on a Mesoamerican temple) and has a mirror on each wall that bounces the reflection back infinitely, symbolizing eternity. Its the only room used for endowments that I've seen that has the mirrors, they are usually in sealing rooms only.

If you have a temple recommend I highly recommend going and spending the whole day at this temple and taking in the atmosphere. It is very beautiful and peaceful and I think you can learn a lot through the symbolism. It has definitely strengthened my faith in Jesus Christ.

That's really neat stuff, bjw. Thanks. I love the chandelier in the Oakland temple Celestial Room, and how it sounds. Just love it.

HiJolly

jadams, please don't get your hopes up too high. I was proxy for the endowment for both of my grandmothers. One grandmother I knew, one had died before I was even born. I loved my grandmother that I knew, and she was a wonderful person. But when I was the proxy for her, I didn't feel anything special. But then when I was the proxy for my grandmother who had died before I was born, the experience was almost overwhelming. I t hink it does depend on if the person is ready right then to recieve the ordinance you are performing for them.

There will be very special experiences in the temple. We just can't tell when they are going to happen. But going to the temple is always a time for quiet reflection and for loving the Savior and our Heavenly Parents.

I'll second that comment Charity. My wife and I have done quite a bit of work on her side of the family and have never really noticed much out of the ordinary, but when I did her Fathers Endowment I felt a powerful feeling of happiness as we sat in the Celestial room. I leaned over to my wife to tell her something different was going on and she already has tears in her eyes. We both knew at that moment, without even talking to each other, that he had been waiting for this to happen. A very special moment for us both and one of the more spiritual times for me in His sacred house.

I dont know the "meaning" behind then, but the Gardens at the Temples are awsome! Take a little time to sit or walk in them. its a great stress releaver. if you can, visit the Hawaii temple garden. Immaculate!

Matt aka Speedo

I guess they could symbolize the Garden of Eden or the earth returned to its paradisical glory. :)

I'll second that comment Charity. My wife and I have done quite a bit of work on her side of the family and have never really noticed much out of the ordinary, but when I did her Fathers Endowment I felt a powerful feeling of happiness as we sat in the Celestial room. I leaned over to my wife to tell her something different was going on and she already has tears in her eyes. We both knew at that moment, without even talking to each other, that he had been waiting for this to happen. A very special moment for us both and one of the more spiritual times for me in His sacred house.

A woman in my ward bore her testimony yesterday and said when she did the work for her aunt, she was overwhelmed with emotion because she knew she wanted the work done. The temple workers hardly knew what to do with her because she was bawling so hard. :) I haven't had the opportunity to do work for family yet, but I've had some wonderful experiences doing the work for complete strangers.